Enough Asafa!!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby Dixon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 pm

I like Asafa, too bad he doesn't have Championship ability. But how many have? Tons and tons of sprinters I'd put him above.

He seems to do best when he's not running rounds. Ok, cool.

As long as promotors are paying him to run then what's the problem? Anyone into track knows what he's all about, or should by now.
Dixon

Postby dustoff » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Dixon wrote:I like Asafa, too bad he doesn't have Championship ability. But how many have? Tons and tons of sprinters I'd put him above.

He seems to do best when he's not running rounds. Ok, cool.

As long as promotors are paying him to run then what's the problem? Anyone into track knows what he's all about, or should by now.

Exactly! The man seems happy training and competing. Most of us could only be so lucky to have the talent for that to be an option. If he is happy and his health isn't in jeopardy, I can only wish him the best and hope for him to run as long as Collins has.
dustoff

Postby meatball » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 pm

i don't like to get into mudslinging on this board, i don't begrudge powell from making aliving on the pro circuitand he has had a good career, however he's not a competitor when it counts.
meatball

Postby dustoff » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:23 pm

meatball wrote:i don't like to get into mudslinging on this board, i don't begrudge powell from making aliving on the pro circuitand he has had a good career, however he's not a competitor when it counts.

Yeah, we get it. I think it is overstated and lies more in the fact that he isn't really fit to run fast in 4 rounds, but I don't think that should keep the man from continuing to run. He is a credit to the sport and really the first athlete of the new era of men's sprinting. Before him, sub 10 was a big deal and 9.7s seemed other worldly.
dustoff

Postby shivfan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:22 pm

"I just need to go back to training. I have a few more races this season and just need to focus on that; I did not make it to Moscow, but I will still be competing." Powell admitted that his injury was in the back of his mind and after "feeling a slight twinge in training on Monday", was very cautious, but he said the injury was never the problem nor his psyche. "I was just unfit today," he insisted, "and I could not execute like I should; it is not mental, just physical." He further stated that he will still go to Europe and compete later on. The athlete, who will be 31 in November, would not comment too much on his long-term plans, however, and when asked about the next Olympics in Brazil in 2016, said: "If I am still alive and God's willing, we will see."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/As ... z2XD6bndDd
shivfan

Previous