Enough Asafa!!


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby DentyCracker » Tue May 21, 2013 5:32 pm

jazz is wrong and batonless is right on the Dowdie issue. My Dad bristles at the mere mention of Dowdie's name. I am all for the JAAA system. 1st three past the post once qualified. Must prove fitness. This is partially because of Dowdiegate, partially because our 100m men used to regularly go off and injure themselves and turn up at C a shadow of hemselves.
DentyCracker
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Jamaica

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu May 23, 2013 6:01 am

26mi235 wrote:If there is a 10% chance that he will be fine and a 50% chance that he will win Gold if he is fine (plus another set of probabilities for 2nd and 3rd), then he has a 5% chance of Gold.

Enter fourth best runner. 90% chance of being fine, 1% chance of winning Gold if fine. = 0.9%.

If your the Federation you want Merritt, not a fill in. Now, it depends on the quality of the fill in. In the Dowdie case, her chances were low and her replacement might have been higher even before the conditional probability. So Dowdie: 10% of being fine, 10% if fine => 1%; replacement 90% chance of being fine, 10% chance of winning if fine => 9%.

Since you're a math guy, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and conclude that you're clowning me with all these arbitrary, made-up percentages that aren't in the USATF's or the JAAA's rulebook anyway. :lol:
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby Bolan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 pm

26mi235 wrote:
Bolan wrote:Finally! Someone with a brain and an IQ high enough to understand that my frustration is not arrogance. One thing that I realize is, the guys with the most post on this board seem to be the most inept and irrational. The dude with 14524 post need to get a life!


Frustration is not arrogance; what you seem to think is an appropriate conclusion from your frustration is what moves you in that direction.

And, I do have a life: a PhD, a teaching then professional career, family, a few PRs, a bit of officiating giving back to the sport.

What is your life like?

26mil235, why were you so harsh on me after posting the comment below earlier?
After reading Bolan's post(s) in the thread on the Monaco race, I find he has a lot to give and I hope to continue to read his posts.
To be honest I was hard on Powell after getting disappointment many times. To answer your question about what I have done, I certainly haven’t done as much as Mandela or mother Teresa but between playing video games and drinking a cold red stripe beer and some spicy jerk chicken I did manage to study at the doctorial level, embark on residency and spend my day designing treatment for cancer patients. I did manage to run a 1 min 57 sec as a 15 year old at eastern champs before I realize I was never good enough so I became a fan. :mrgreen:
Bolan
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:04 am

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby betterthanb4 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 pm

If Asafa can get back in good health and run 9.80's then he'll remain in the mix when it comes to Championship finals and circuit races. He's still a crowd fave, and can pull in some good $$ so I say go for it. However, I don't have medal expectations for him :( and doubt he can get on the podium without his 2008 form reemerging.
betterthanb4
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby betterthanb4 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:51 pm

"Usain Bolt reaches out to Asafa". 'Tweets Encouragement'

http://go-jamaica.com/news/read_article.php?id=45965


“It is very frustrating to know that I didn’t get to finish in the top three,” Powell also said. “But that is how it goes, I have to just work on it and try and come back.”


And in a message on Twitter, Bolt sought to encourage his colleague.

“Don't give up bro.. Keep the faith..@officialasafa,” Bolt tweeted.

Bolt also sought to console hurdler Hansle Parchment who was unable to compete because of an injury he sustained during warm up for the final.

“Injuries are such a.. Sigh. Can't use the word I want to use on Sunday.. Can't imagine your pain bro.. Keep your head up @HansleParchment,” he said.


Bolt continued: “Believe me I know the pain of injuries..days like these I give even more thanks for my blessings.. God u made all this possible #grateful.”
betterthanb4
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby Dixon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 pm

I like Asafa, too bad he doesn't have Championship ability. But how many have? Tons and tons of sprinters I'd put him above.

He seems to do best when he's not running rounds. Ok, cool.

As long as promotors are paying him to run then what's the problem? Anyone into track knows what he's all about, or should by now.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby dustoff » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Dixon wrote:I like Asafa, too bad he doesn't have Championship ability. But how many have? Tons and tons of sprinters I'd put him above.

He seems to do best when he's not running rounds. Ok, cool.

As long as promotors are paying him to run then what's the problem? Anyone into track knows what he's all about, or should by now.


Exactly! The man seems happy training and competing. Most of us could only be so lucky to have the talent for that to be an option. If he is happy and his health isn't in jeopardy, I can only wish him the best and hope for him to run as long as Collins has.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby meatball » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 pm

i don't like to get into mudslinging on this board, i don't begrudge powell from making aliving on the pro circuitand he has had a good career, however he's not a competitor when it counts.
meatball
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby dustoff » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:23 pm

meatball wrote:i don't like to get into mudslinging on this board, i don't begrudge powell from making aliving on the pro circuitand he has had a good career, however he's not a competitor when it counts.


Yeah, we get it. I think it is overstated and lies more in the fact that he isn't really fit to run fast in 4 rounds, but I don't think that should keep the man from continuing to run. He is a credit to the sport and really the first athlete of the new era of men's sprinting. Before him, sub 10 was a big deal and 9.7s seemed other worldly.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: Enough Asafa!!

Postby shivfan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:22 pm

"I just need to go back to training. I have a few more races this season and just need to focus on that; I did not make it to Moscow, but I will still be competing." Powell admitted that his injury was in the back of his mind and after "feeling a slight twinge in training on Monday", was very cautious, but he said the injury was never the problem nor his psyche. "I was just unfit today," he insisted, "and I could not execute like I should; it is not mental, just physical." He further stated that he will still go to Europe and compete later on. The athlete, who will be 31 in November, would not comment too much on his long-term plans, however, and when asked about the next Olympics in Brazil in 2016, said: "If I am still alive and God's willing, we will see."


Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/As ... z2XD6bndDd
shivfan
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], effable, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests