Sprinters,always with the excuses.

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Sprinters,always with the excuses.

Postby oldhalfmileguy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm

I just was redirected to a thread here and some sprinter was making an excuse for losing. I decided not to post directly because it seemed cruel to say it directly to him.
I had a coach who told me "watch how many guys get hurt during a race, and how it is only when they are behind. Sprinters are the worst."
I thought it was kind of funny but then he explained to me that sprinting had such small margins for error that guys confidence played a huge factor. If you could not beat someone, pull up and do not give the victor his due. Hey merely beat you when you were not at your best. Maybe you will get him next time. Almost every excuse was a pulled /torn hamstring. He said when you see a torn hamstring you will see the difference. I finally did, It was a UCLA runner leading a relay(the only sprinter ahead i ever saw pull up) when he tore the hamstring he looked like Bob Beamon, he went flying into the air. I was stunned and sickened. I not seen a runner in 1st place pull out due to injury since. Almost always sprinters pulling up lame... Something to think about the next time someone pulls up
oldhalfmileguy

Re: Sprinters,always with the excuses.

Postby shivfan » Thu May 09, 2013 10:50 pm

I don't have a problem with it...sometimes sprinters need that confident, arrogant manner, to make them believe that they are the best, and it is that belief which can help to propel them to the top.

IMHO, you can display your arrogance on the track - just don't carry it to the medal podium!
8-)
shivfan

Re: Sprinters,always with the excuses.

Postby batonless relay » Fri May 10, 2013 7:27 am

shivfan wrote:I don't have a problem with it...sometimes sprinters need that confident, arrogant manner, to make them believe that they are the best, and it is that belief which can help to propel them to the top.

IMHO, you can display your arrogance on the track - just don't carry it to the medal podium!
8-)

I don't see that. the OP's post reads like this happens all the time and after watching more races than I care to admit, I just don't see that. I've watched Carl Lewis walk off the track when his SMTC team's 4x1 looked like they were going to lose and I've seen Mo Greene do something that looked a lot similar, but I've watched Carl take ass-whoopings like a man running through the line and I can say the same for Mo Greene. I've watched Usain Bolt, who had to leave his gargantuan ego on the shore in that epic gatorade commercial, run through the line in ALL of his losses. Never once faking injury. I can also remember an Olympic Gold medallist injuring himself while leading who didn't "[jump into the air ] like Bob Beamon"; he would go on to break the WR - by a lot. I don't think Ray Stewart or Asafa Powell or Alonzo Edward or any number of sprinters to injure themselves during a sprint ever quit to "not give the victor his due". To the extent that it happens is so overblown that it really is shrug-worthy. And, I think applying it to sprinters while NOT applying it to mid-distance and distance runner who walk off the track when they're not having a good race -which happens way more than sprinters faking an injury - is just the type of bias that the sport could use a lot less of.
batonless relay