Greene - American male sprinters way behind Jamaicans

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Greene - American male sprinters way behind Jamaicans

Postby ExCoastRanger » Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 am

26mi235 wrote:Conor, that 99% figure is way too high; more easily phrased, more than 1% of the US public knows who Usain Bolt is. I would not be surprised if half the kids in my son's elementary school know who he is....

I suspect plenty of Americans recognize his name, a few less his face, and hardly any who are not T&F fans will know in which events he competes or any of his marks.
ExCoastRanger

Postby kamikaze7 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:24 pm

eldanielfire wrote:

Errrr, neither Jessica Ennis nor Kelly Holmes, who are both born in England to English mothers, ever set foot in Jamaica until they became adults. Kelly Holmes never even knew who her father was growing up.

Also with the success of Jamaican athletes it appears the countries best talent is actually staying and believing more success will come in Jamaica. Sanya Richards-Ross is the last one I can think of.

Go back and re-read my post. I said Jamaica looses so many people to migration at a young age and even before that.

Emigration is indeed a huge impediment to success even when it is not the actual athletes who are leaving. When Jamaicans move overseas and have children who become athletes, Jamaica has in effect lost an athlete.
Last edited by kamikaze7 on Sat May 11, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kamikaze7

Postby kamikaze7 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
kamikaze7 wrote:

The point is that the USA has such huge advantages over Jamaica that its bogus to point at basketball and football as the reason the USA is loosing to Jamaica.

It is all rather comical reading this ongoing nonsense about a rivalry very few, outside of Jamaica, care about. It is not surprising Greene's comments come from a Jamaica paper. For any US news organization it would have brought a big yawn. Bolt is a fine athlete. But I don't, and I also think 99% per cent of Americans who even know who he is, would care if he is German, Swede, American or whatever.

Nothing you've written here has anything to do with the debate at hand. Way to change the subject !
kamikaze7

Postby Conor Dary » Sat May 11, 2013 4:30 pm

kamikaze7 wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
kamikaze7 wrote:

The point is that the USA has such huge advantages over Jamaica that its bogus to point at basketball and football as the reason the USA is loosing to Jamaica.

It is all rather comical reading this ongoing nonsense about a rivalry very few, outside of Jamaica, care about. It is not surprising Greene's comments come from a Jamaica paper. For any US news organization it would have brought a big yawn. Bolt is a fine athlete. But I don't, and I also think 99% per cent of Americans who even know who he is, would care if he is German, Swede, American or whatever.

Nothing you've written here has anything to do with the debate at hand. Way to change the subject !

Actually it is what this silly thread is all about.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby eldanielfire » Sun May 12, 2013 3:03 am

kamikaze7 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Errrr, neither Jessica Ennis nor Kelly Holmes, who are both born in England to English mothers, ever set foot in Jamaica until they became adults. Kelly Holmes never even knew who her father was growing up.

Also with the success of Jamaican athletes it appears the countries best talent is actually staying and believing more success will come in Jamaica. Sanya Richards-Ross is the last one I can think of.

Go back and re-read my post. I said Jamaica looses so many people to migration at a young age and even before that.

Emigration is indeed a huge impediment to success even when it is not the actual athletes who are leaving. When Jamaicans move overseas and have children who become athletes, Jamaica has in effect lost an athlete.

The very existence of those two athletes not representing Jamaica can't be attributed to Jamaican migration, they are half English so they are Irrelevant example to use. Nothing can be presumed to be lost to Jamaica and neither has an athletic parent and neither has a sport skill set can be traced to Jamaicans success or counted as a loss of talent. Unless I'm missing how Jamaica is credited and praised for middle distance runners and multi-eventers which are funny enough two events in which Britain has a proud history of.

Otherwise most countries lose people to migration which in economic terms benefits Jamaica as the wealth sometimes sent back directly and indirectly allows for a higher quality of life, infrastructure etc.
eldanielfire

Previous