Cayman Invitational, May 8th


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 pm

http://caymaninvitational.com/v13/

Bolt, Jeter, LaShawn Merritt are some of the stars expected.

Bolt made a "miraculous" recovery over the weekend just in time to run at this meet. He "skipped" the Jamaica Invitational on Saturday due to injury :D . His manager confirmed that he would be running on Wednesday.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Mon May 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Hopefully, we can get a start list soon.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Mon May 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Press release issued by the organizers of the Cayman Invitational

===============================================================================

Good morning media

Please find attached the guidelines for all events this week surrounding Cayman Invitational. Please ensure you thoroughly review the guidelines document, which outlines code of conduct for all media, as well as suggested questions and bios of athletes.

It is important to note, all media is to refrain from asking Usain Bolt about his injury and why he pulled out of the Jamaica Invitational. Also, there will be no mention of Yohan Blake in any capacity. Failure to adhere to these rules in media being removed from the press conference of event.

Gates open at 4pm on Wednesday. All media is required to attend a quick debrief at 5:00pm

Weds May 8 in the media zone at Cayman Invitational.

I will be your contact over the next few days, so please do not hesitate to reach me with any questions. My cell is 926-4145.

On behalf of the Cayman Invitational team we look forward to your coverage of this historic sporting event.

Many thanks!

Jenna Lucas

Tower Marketing
Cayman Islands
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm

jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby 26mi235 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 pm

[quote="jamboy"]

It is important to note, all media is to refrain from asking Usain Bolt about his injury and why he pulled out of the Jamaica Invitational. Also, there will be no mention of Yohan Blake in any capacity. Failure to adhere to these rules in media being removed from the press conference of event.

Well, the lower remuneration is accompanied by a little other quid pro quo.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby JumboElliott » Mon May 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Trouble at Racers?
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 pm

26mi235 wrote:
jamboy wrote:
It is important to note, all media is to refrain from asking Usain Bolt about his injury and why he pulled out of the Jamaica Invitational. Also, there will be no mention of Yohan Blake in any capacity. Failure to adhere to these rules in media being removed from the press conference of event.

Well, the lower remuneration is accompanied by a little other quid pro quo.


You are definitely clueless to the issues.. Money isn't the issue. Huge animosity between the meet director Donald Quarrie and Coach Mills.

Long running beef. Coach deciding to "strike back" using his best two athletes.
Last edited by jamboy on Mon May 06, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm

JumboElliott wrote:Trouble at Racers?


Racers is fine. Bolt is fine.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby 26mi235 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:59 pm

jamboy wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
jamboy wrote:
It is important to note, all media is to refrain from asking Usain Bolt about his injury and why he pulled out of the Jamaica Invitational. Also, there will be no mention of Yohan Blake in any capacity. Failure to adhere to these rules in media being removed from the press conference of event.

Well, the lower remuneration is accompanied by a little other quid pro quo.


You are definitely clueless to the issues.. Money isn't the issue. Huge animosity between the meet director Donald Quarrie and Coach Mills.

Long running beef. Coach deciding to "strike back"


So, what exactly is clueless about my comment -- was there nothing else involved? if there was something else involved then ... So, either refrain from the nasty comments or explain yourself why the comment is wrong to the extent of being clueless.

Calling posters 'clueless' when there is inside information that has repeatedly not been posted is rather tacky at the very least
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm

26mi235 wrote:
jamboy wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
jamboy wrote:
It is important to note, all media is to refrain from asking Usain Bolt about his injury and why he pulled out of the Jamaica Invitational. Also, there will be no mention of Yohan Blake in any capacity. Failure to adhere to these rules in media being removed from the press conference of event.

Well, the lower remuneration is accompanied by a little other quid pro quo.


You are definitely clueless to the issues.. Money isn't the issue. Huge animosity between the meet director Donald Quarrie and Coach Mills.

Long running beef. Coach deciding to "strike back"


So, what exactly is clueless about my comment -- was there nothing else involved? if there was something else involved then ... So, either refrain from the nasty comments or explain yourself why the comment is wrong to the extent of being clueless.

Calling posters 'clueless' when there is inside information that has repeatedly not been posted is rather tacky at the very least


IM me and I will give you the details.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby gh » Mon May 06, 2013 8:20 pm

see story on front page..... freedom of the press? hah! not in this instance.
gh
 
Posts: 46314
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby JumboElliott » Mon May 06, 2013 8:38 pm

So basically Usain Bolt isn't actually injured and he didn't compete in Kingston because the meet director, who happens to be the only living Jamaican sprinter with international credentials even close to those of Bolt pissed off Glen Mills at one point?

Not competing in front of your most dedicated fans because of a personal issue between your coach and someone else is a real classy move. Bolt should have told Mills to shove it.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Mon May 06, 2013 8:45 pm

JumboElliott wrote:So basically Usain Bolt isn't actually injured and he didn't compete in Kingston because the meet director, who happens to be the only living Jamaican sprinter with international credentials even close to those of Bolt pissed off Glen Mills at one point?

Not competing in front of your most dedicated fans because of a personal issue between your coach and someone else is a real classy move. Bolt should have told Mills to shove it.


Again, this isn't a one point issue. Fued lasting 20 plus years boiled over last year. Huge fight in the media last year. Mills held both of his trump cards to his vest this year. Jamaicans are used to these fights. Mills and Franno had a huge public fight a few years ago.

Bolt won't tell Mills to shove it. Mills is like a father figure to Bolt and Blake and those bonds are not easily broken. Mills is the man who made Bolt/Blake the mega stars they are.

This issue will quickly go away similar to other controversies involving Bolt.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby lefterisp » Mon May 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Eye contact is also strictly prohibited. If you happen to walk by him, you are requested to turn your head the other way. Offenders will be expelled from future Cayman Island track and field meetings.
lefterisp
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Mon May 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Well, according to the front page story, Bolt's agent said that Bolt will answer every and all questions. Truthfully I hope.

Also, I hope Bolt and his manager will bring the MRI to prove he had an actual injury that prevented him from running in Jamaica. :D
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby 26mi235 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:02 pm

jamboy wrote:IM me and I will give you the details.


I do not do IM, but if you look up at the "User Control Panel (0 new messages)" above you will see when someone sends a PM (Private Message). Just click on it and you can reply there.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby JumboElliott » Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 am

Regardless of the motivation, it's a chickenshit move by Mills.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 am

26mi235 wrote:
jamboy wrote:IM me and I will give you the details.


I do not do IM, but if you look up at the "User Control Panel (0 new messages)" above you will see when someone sends a PM (Private Message). Just click on it and you can reply there.



Sorry. I meant PM.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Tue May 07, 2013 6:13 am

JumboElliott wrote:Regardless of the motivation, it's a chickenshit move by Mills.



I totally agree if that is how things really transpired. Like I have said however, its not the end of the world and things will blow over next week.
Coach Franno(MVP) has had similar issues with Quarrie in the past as well threatened to pull his athletes and I quote “Not have any MVP athletes run at the Jamaica Invitational ever again”. He never carried out his threats however.
Most of these big “dawgs” of track and field in Jamaica don’t get along and just “tolerate” each other. Lots of egos at play here. It’s been like this over the years. It is not unique to Jamaica. USA Track and Field has had its issues over the years as well.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Tue May 07, 2013 4:41 pm

jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Tue May 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Just watched the Bolt's pre-race press conference.

The ban on questions was lifted and the press was allowed to ask any questions. Meet director Cydonie Mothersill was right beside Bolt eyeing carefully all the members of the press who were asking questions even grinning at times.

Bolt says he is fine now and hopes to run a fast race tomorrow.

I was a bit disappointed he didn't bring his MRI and doctor's note clearing him to run :D
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby aaronk » Tue May 07, 2013 5:01 pm

jamboy wrote:Just watched the Bolt's pre-race press conference.

The ban on questions was lifted and the press was allowed to ask any questions. Meet director Cydonie Mothersill was right beside Bolt eyeing carefully all the members of the press who were asking questions even grinning at times.

Bolt says he is fine now and hopes to run a fast race tomorrow.

I was a bit disappointed he didn't bring his MRI and doctor's note clearing him to run :D


Well, if he's rolled out to the starting line in a wheelchair...we'll know something's up!! :P
aaronk
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby t_monk » Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Anyone can find a startlist?
t_monk
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Tue May 07, 2013 5:08 pm

t_monk wrote:Anyone can find a startlist?


Nothing on the website yet.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby Speedster » Wed May 08, 2013 2:36 am

I am interested to see how Tianna Bartoletta opens up with her 200m. She was solid all the way through 2012 running PBs when it counted and leading the 4x100m team off to a WR in London. She's left Rana Reider (who moved to the UK) and is now training with Loren Seagrave, interesting to see what impact her bobsled training and competition has had, Lolo seems to have returned in decent form for the start of the season.
Speedster
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: London

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby ZELLGADISS » Wed May 08, 2013 2:38 am

This is starlist 100m:

Section 1 Timed Finals
1 Roach, Kimmari Jamaica
2 Hayman, Kemar Cayman Islands
3 Jelks, Mark United States OF
4 Bolt, Usain Jamaica
5 Bailey, Daniel Antigua
6 Bailey Cole, Kemar Jamaica
7 Kwow Richards, Dontae Canada
8 Bailey, Oshane Jamaica
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby lionelp1 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:26 am

give the media the opportunity to make a story out of nothing, their basic profession, they will do so. I would rather trust the comments of Mills at length to Trackalerts than the self important posters and others who tell us that they really really really know all the inside reasons for last w/e.In any case who gives a toss. A doesn't get on with B or whatever. So???
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby Marlow » Wed May 08, 2013 4:27 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:This is starlist 100m:
Section 1 Timed Finals
1 Roach, Kimmari Jamaica
2 Hayman, Kemar Cayman Islands
3 Jelks, Mark United States OF
4 Bolt, Usain Jamaica
5 Bailey, Daniel Antigua
6 Bailey Cole, Kemar Jamaica
7 Kwow Richards, Dontae Canada
8 Bailey, Oshane Jamaica

What? They couldn't get Ryan and Donovan Baily too?
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby gh » Wed May 08, 2013 4:51 am

t_monk wrote:Anyone can find a startlist?


Forget the start list, I can't even get the home page or the streaming site to open period. Anybody else?
gh
 
Posts: 46314
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby wamego relays champ » Wed May 08, 2013 5:47 am

gh wrote:
t_monk wrote:Anyone can find a startlist?


Forget the start list, I can't even get the home page or the streaming site to open period. Anybody else?


Seems to be working now.

Start lists found here: http://caymaninvitational.com/v13/index.php/live-exults

.
wamego relays champ
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby aaronk » Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 am

Just in case there's anyone else out there that's as dumb as me when it comes to knowing anything about the Cayman Islands......

they are on Central Standard Time.....
meaning it's now 12:30 p.m. there.....
or 2 hours later than here in WA state!!

My God, the things you learn just by Googling!!! :P

P.S. Obviously, I've never been to the Cayman Islands!! :(
aaronk
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Wed May 08, 2013 9:42 am

aaronk wrote:Just in case there's anyone else out there that's as dumb as me when it comes to knowing anything about the Cayman Islands......

they are on Central Standard Time.....
meaning it's now 12:30 p.m. there.....
or 2 hours later than here in WA state!!

My God, the things you learn just by Googling!!! :P

P.S. Obviously, I've never been to the Cayman Islands!! :(



Meet begins at 6:30pm US EDT
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby Weights&Shoes » Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 am

Paid live stream, correct?
Weights&Shoes
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:58 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby Jackaloupe » Wed May 08, 2013 10:45 am

Obviously, I've never been to the Cayman Islands!! Neither had Mittens, but he had his money send a postcard;~)

One of the finest beaches in the world--like Aruba and Cancun, ~ 9 mis.--if stacked with hotels and condos. Fine Scuba-diving, but better on smaller Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. Never saw the Stadium, too busy diving: it was way too regimented, one Dive Mag calling it "Summer Camp". They're the ones who so commercialized diving with jaded StingRays, which I avoided like the plague they are there.
Jackaloupe
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby nicest person ever » Wed May 08, 2013 1:27 pm

So, the meet begins about 1 hour from now?

How much does the pay-feed cost? Did anyone purchase it? Is it available to those of us in the USA? If so, can you guys comment on the video quality when it goes up. If the quality is good and it's not too expensive I might give it a watch. I'ma be pretty grouchy if I miss Bolt's first 100m run of the season! :x

Grrrrr, if I ever become I multi-billionaire (in today's money equivalency that is (hey I gotta put the disclaimer just in case there's crazy huge inflation and I become a "billionaire" in the future where a billion dollars barely buys you a bottle of sprite, lol) , I will try to find a way to make a Track & Field tv station, so that we can all just watch stuff like this on tv in high def and not be scrambling around for random sketchy internet streams and whatnot! 8-)
nicest person ever
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Wed May 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Updated live streaming link. US$4.99 paid subscription


http://caymaninvitational.com/v13/index.php/ls-test
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby DCSIGMA » Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 pm

If anyone have a free link please post.
DCSIGMA
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Wed May 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Great meet so far.

Womens 400m hurdles next
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby jamboy » Wed May 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Tiffany Williams wins 400m hurdles

Rhistrianna Tracey second.

Lashinda Demus third
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Cayman Invitational, May 8th

Postby ptn » Wed May 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Any results?
ptn
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 10:17 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 20 guests