Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby norunner » Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 am

It's official now after the rumours from weeks ago: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol ... l/2132419/
norunner
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby gibson » Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 am

at what point do you need a test with a spectrometer to tell what color shirt you're wearing?
do you need a weatherman to tell me which way the wind blows? track and field news does.

i had em guilty, plus. and said so at og time, as did athletes, commentators and many here.

gh, however thinks that the official news needs to come from AP. before it's real.

AP is bullshit. end.
gibson
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:57 am

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby 26mi235 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:02 am

gibson wrote:at what point do you need a test with a spectrometer to tell what color shirt you're wearing?
do you need a weatherman to tell me which way the wind blows? track and field news does.

i had em guilty, plus. and said so at og time, as did athletes, commentators and many here.

gh, however thinks that the official news needs to come from AP. before it's real.

AP is bullshit. end.


Guilty until proven innocent? I am glad you can tell with certainty which parties are guilty - do you think your testimony would stand up in any sort of formal hearing. How many times have you been right and how many times have you been wrong. If the answer is not 100% of the time right, and no cheating, then your commentary is close to useless.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16317
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby eldanielfire » Sun May 05, 2013 1:59 am

Anybody else think while it's good a drug cheat has been caught, the women's 1500m still goes to a Turkish athlete who nobody trusts? (rightfully or wrongfully)

It's a shame the more genuine contenders all ran stupidly off races as well, I still maintain that is the worst race of all time, terribly run by everybody, poor medallists, flat feel, sour feeling at seeing who won, no excitement or tactics being displayed, Uceny falling, nobody feeling comfortable at the end. There are literally no positives to come out of that race, every aspect of it was terrible.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby Rineanna » Sun May 05, 2013 2:37 am

Derval O'Rourke is in line to be upgraded to bronze from the 2013 European Indoors, to add to her 2009 bronze in Turin, World indoor gold in Moscow in '06 and two Euro outdoor silvers in '06 and '10.

Incidentally, the victor in that race in '10 in Barcelona was Yanit - it's hard not to be cynical about any of her victories in recent years.
Rineanna
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby exdrake » Sun May 05, 2013 5:15 pm

There are literally no positives to come out of that race.

You sure missed the obvious "positive." See thread title.
exdrake
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:46 am

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby gibson » Tue May 07, 2013 2:59 am

26mi235 wrote:
gibson wrote:at what point do you need a test with a spectrometer to tell what color shirt you're wearing?
do you need a weatherman to tell me which way the wind blows? track and field news does.

i had em guilty, plus. and said so at og time, as did athletes, commentators and many here.

gh, however thinks that the official news needs to come from AP. before it's real.

AP is bullshit. end.


Guilty until proven innocent? I am glad you can tell with certainty which parties are guilty - do you think your testimony would stand up in any sort of formal hearing. How many times have you been right and how many times have you been wrong. If the answer is not 100% of the time right, and no cheating, then your commentary is close to useless.


i am being naughty here, i admit, however, i think this issue is well worth discussing.

i don't know nothin absolute of course. but i can tell which way the wind blows. i have practice in that.

you are right, "testimony" like this would not hold up in court, in some cases.

the issue here is at what point to you call foul?
gossipers will call foul at random.
guys like coe and cram do not. coe called foul in the 1500m in moscow in so many words and questioned the east german's ability to take out a near prime ovett, and nearly coe - out of the blue....

the big PED cases - are known by insiders most often real time, or at least with much greater accuracy than wada labs results indicated in the past.

the cycling scandal is laughable. to anyone that cycles professionally that is.
as are the results in choice events at london OG.

when it comes to trans gender gross manipulation, it is obvious if you've been around it.

these boards, i'd love to have GH get some real experts express their real insider opinions.
which would lead to some real understanding.

as opposed to what we have here now. a dis information process.

what a pickle.
gibson
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:57 am

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby gh » Tue May 07, 2013 7:14 am

gibson wrote:... i'd love to have GH get some real experts express their real insider opinions.
which would lead to some real understanding....


as a wise man once said, opinions are like assholes: everybody has one.
gh
 
Posts: 46316
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby 26mi235 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:48 am

gibson wrote:The cycling scandal is laughable, to anyone that cycles professionally that is, as are the results in choice events at London OG.


I do not know whether to call this statement 'uninformative', and this is made worse by the casual writing that make it difficult to parse what is being said. If you cannot take the time and effort to make your points clearly, they lose meaning and impact. gh has rightly made it clear that comments on grammar etc., are off-base and generally will not be tolerated. However, I make the point here that the writing leaves the issue more confused than it needs to be.

As for the 'laughable' comment, what is laughable? Is the implication that doping is not stopped at all? The Armstrong case illustrates exactly the opposite -- their actions were not detected in the tests of the time because they were very careful to use low dosages and carefully minimized use of those options that were more easily detected.

As a result, they were well below the level of assistance that they could have reached with a higher level of dosing. Others were caught more often because they pushed the levels higher. It was sophisticated because they tried to identify the line and stay far enough below it that when they made mistakes they would still be safe.

They have now brought the testing further forward, and the biological passport is a good addition (particularly relevant here). There is an important implication: One controls are good enough those that are not doping feel that they can compete without doping and do well enough to stay in the sport. Go read the commentary by Jonathon Vaughters. Of course, you may (and seem to) feel that this is laughable and that everybody is still cheating in cycling; if so, I think that you are wrong.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16317
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby peach77 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:25 pm

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/energy ... sCatID=371

From the front page- someone from the Turkish athletics agency reckons Yanit might have gotten her positive tests from an energy drink...

If it wasn't so laughable, I'd be really really annoyed- why are federation staff making statements like this anyway? Shows how serious the Turkish federation are taking this :roll:
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: Alptekin and Yanit officially charged with doping

Postby gibson » Wed May 08, 2013 7:55 am

sorry to stink out the joint but... wise man i once said some assholes stink more than others.

to clarify

track and field news ain't no bible if there ain't no experts about ... well there are some, how about more.

i'd invite the who's who to the boards and give them special privileges to say whatever, including the right to say things anonymously if the want.

unproven guys like me, sure put on the leash, or grant the total free speak privileges if earned over time.

experts like conte, francis, catlin, pound, canova, salazar, etc. to my knowledge don't won't post here. i'm saying these guys are the ones with the less stinky opinion.

on the other end of the spectrum are the letsrun rats, still there are many posts by former athletes and coaches. i'd like to distill out the rats.

on the laughable matter quote. people are laughing at naive sucker born every minute type people who can't see the trees for the forest. behind that comment - i'm quoting a professional cyclist, and others around cycling that just roll their eyes at the armstrong "revelations"

it is no laughing matter to have run your heart out, place 8th to 7 drug users and have the press dump on you saying that you're second rate, can't win the big one, etc etc.

like most here, i just want transparency, which i'm afraid, the process does not really allow.
gibson
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:57 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alucard, unclezadok and 7 guests