US youth records


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

US youth records

Postby Jon » Thu May 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Having recently created a wiki page for US junior records (indoors & out), I'm now working on a wiki page for US youth (under-18) records:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... _athletics

But you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find such info. T&FN only has US junior & high school records listed on their site, while the records section on the USATF website is split into random age groupings, none of which is the standard 'youth' (under-18) age group.

If anyone has any additions/corrections for the ones already on the Wiki page, feel free to edit them in. I've not yet added the girls' youth records to the wiki page, but I have most of them already. The few events I'm not sure of are: DT (Vaughan's 53.78m?), JT (Crouser's 52.73m?), SP (Carter's 16.25m?) and 5000m walk. Once all the outdoor marks are done, I'll then tackle the tricker prospect of US youth indoor bests.
Jon
 
Posts: 9231
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: US youth records

Postby AS » Thu May 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Jon wrote: The few events I'm not sure of are: DT (Vaughan's 53.78m?), JT (Crouser's 52.73m?), SP (Carter's 16.25m?) and 5000m walk. Once all the outdoor marks are done, I'll then tackle the tricker prospect of US youth indoor bests.


IAAF have this as best US women's Youth DT:
56.49 Melanie Uher 1 APR 1985 1 DeWitt, NE 16 APR 2002
AS
 
Posts: 4503
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: US youth records

Postby rainy.here » Thu May 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Jon wrote:Having recently created a wiki page for US junior records (indoors & out), I'm now working on a wiki page for US youth (under-18) records:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... _athletics

But you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find such info. T&FN only has US junior & high school records listed on their site, while the records section on the USATF website is split into random age groupings, none of which is the standard 'youth' (under-18) age group.

If anyone has any additions/corrections for the ones already on the Wiki page, feel free to edit them in. I've not yet added the girls' youth records to the wiki page, but I have most of them already. The few events I'm not sure of are: DT (Vaughan's 53.78m?), JT (Crouser's 52.73m?), SP (Carter's 16.25m?) and 5000m walk. Once all the outdoor marks are done, I'll then tackle the tricker prospect of US youth indoor bests.


Looking at the description at the top of the wiki - I was pretty sure that the IAAF requirement for 'Youth' is that the athlete cannot turn 18 in the year of competition, not if they have already.
rainy.here
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: US youth records

Postby 26mi235 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm

aaronk is temporarily on the banned list; in a day or two he might return. He has a very detailed list of youth records that he keeps.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16337
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: US youth records

Postby aaronk » Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 pm

26mi235 wrote:aaronk is temporarily on the banned list; in a day or two he might return. He has a very detailed list of youth records that he keeps.


Maybe NOT "temporarily".......!!!
But while I'm here......let me say that while I DO have age records in my T&F Record Book, they differ somewhat from the "youth" or "junior" record criteria!!

My age records don't go by just the year one was born, but the entire exact birth date!!
Thus, an athlete born, say, on July 1, 1995, could set TWO age records in the same year......Hell, even just ONE DAY apart!!!!......if he/she broke an age 17 record on June 30 of this year.....then broke the age 18 mark the next day, on his/her 18th birthday, July 1.

The youth/junior criteria states, of course, that they can't turn 18 before the year ends....meaning, I guess, up to December 31!!

That said, Shelbi Vaughan was born August 24, 1994.....so her HSR of 198-9 was set when she was still 17, but since she turned 18 just 2 months later, probably does not qualify for the junior record.
Or do I not understand the youth/junior criteria for records?
aaronk
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: US youth records

Postby MJR » Fri May 03, 2013 4:54 am

Jon wrote: The few events I'm not sure of are: DT (Vaughan's 53.78m?), JT (Crouser's 52.73m?), SP (Carter's 16.25m?) and 5000m walk. Once all the outdoor marks are done, I'll then tackle the tricker prospect of US youth indoor bests.



You can find "Youth" RW records at www.hsrw.net. Check the records area for all-time lists.
MJR
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: on walkabout....

Re: US youth records

Postby Cooter Brown » Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 am

I don't know if you want to include ties but Jacob Davis jumped 5.33m as a 15 year old to tie the US youth PV record.

I think Cory Shank also was a 16 year old when he jumped 5.33 in high school but I don't know his birthday.
Cooter Brown
 
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Austin

Re: US youth records

Postby mcgato » Fri May 03, 2013 6:21 am

Would the USATF site help?
http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records ... h&sport=TF

Edit to add: it seems like their 17-18 age group includes the 18 year olds, so would not apply
mcgato
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Hoboken

Re: US youth records

Postby ptn » Fri May 03, 2013 7:05 am

What throwing implements weights do you use?

http://bcathletics.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... get-girls/
ptn
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 10:17 am

Re: US youth records

Postby Jon » Fri May 03, 2013 1:31 pm

rainy.here wrote:Looking at the description at the top of the wiki - I was pretty sure that the IAAF requirement for 'Youth' is that the athlete cannot turn 18 in the year of competition, not if they have already.
Correct; that is pretty much what the description says on the wiki page.
mcgato wrote:Would the USATF site help?
http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records ... h&sport=TF
Edit to add: it seems like their 17-18 age group includes the 18 year olds, so would not apply
Not really (but thanks anyway! :-)). As I said above, the age groups are different and the lists aren't up-to-date.
Cooter Brown wrote:I don't know if you want to include ties but Jacob Davis jumped 5.33m as a 15 year old to tie the US youth PV record.
Excellent, thanks.
MJR wrote:You can find "Youth" RW records at http://www.hsrw.net. Check the records area for all-time lists.
Brilliant, thanks.
aaronk wrote:Or do I not understand the youth/junior criteria for records?
Basically, junior athletes have to remain under 20 years of age throughout the whole year of competition. So for this year, someone born in 1993 will be too old to be a junior as they will turn 20 this year. But someone born in 1994 will be a junior.
For youth, it's the same rule but the cut-off age is 18. So for this season if someone is born in 1995 or earlier, they won't be a youth athlete as they'll turn 17 years old. But if they are born in 1996 or later, then they will be a youth athlete.
ptn wrote:What throwing implements weights do you use?
http://bcathletics.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... get-girls/

Youth girls used to use senior implements, but it has changed this year to 3kg shot/hammer and 500g javelin.
Jon
 
Posts: 9231
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: US youth records

Postby LopenUupunut » Sat May 04, 2013 1:34 am

Jon wrote:10,000m walk (track) 41:23.14 Tyler Sorenson 09/07/2011 World Youth Championships Lille, France 17 years, 141 days
I always thought it was "Sorensen", but Google shows plenty of references for both, and our resident expert MJR has used both. Which spelling is right?
LopenUupunut
 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Sleeping in Finland

Re: US youth records

Postby MJR » Sat May 04, 2013 6:10 am

LopenUupunut wrote:
Jon wrote:10,000m walk (track) 41:23.14 Tyler Sorenson 09/07/2011 World Youth Championships Lille, France 17 years, 141 days
I always thought it was "Sorensen", but Google shows plenty of references for both, and our resident expert MJR has used both. Which spelling is right?


Sorensen
MJR
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: on walkabout....

Re: US youth records

Postby LopenUupunut » Sat May 04, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks :)
LopenUupunut
 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Sleeping in Finland

Re: US youth records

Postby Jon » Sun May 05, 2013 11:29 am

Time to update the wiki page with Mary Cain's US youth 800m record (2:01.68), breaking the mark that Kim Gallagher had held since 1981. :)
Jon
 
Posts: 9231
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: US youth records

Postby aaronk » Sun May 05, 2013 11:41 am

Jon wrote:Time to update the wiki page with Mary Cain's US youth 800m record (2:01.68), breaking the mark that Kim Gallagher had held since 1981. :)


Cain broke the 11th grade mark of Gallagher's 2:01.82 from 1981
However, she missed the US age 17 mark of Chanelle Price, 2:01.61 from 2008.
(Facts gleaned from HS Track book!!)
And she's now 4th All Time on the outdoor HS 800 list...behind Gallagher, Wilson, and Price.
aaronk
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: US youth records

Postby AS » Sun May 05, 2013 3:04 pm

aaronk wrote:However, she missed the US age 17 mark of Chanelle Price, 2:01.61 from 2008.
(Facts gleaned from HS Track book!!)


I am ASTOUNDED how often the concept of Youth needs to be explained. You must be Under 18 for the entire calendar year to be a youth.

As Price was born August 22, 1990, her last year as a Youth was 2007. Her 2008 performances were as a Junior...

Top 3 US youths before Cain's weekend performance:
2:01.82 Kim Gallagher (dob 11 JUN 1964) Sacramento, CA 21 JUN 1981
2:02.04 Amy Weissenbach (16 JUN 1994) Clovis, CA 04 JUN 2011
2:02.29 Mary Slaney (4 AUG 1958) Durham, NC 06 JUL 1974
AS
 
Posts: 4503
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: US youth records

Postby aaronk » Sun May 05, 2013 3:34 pm

AS wrote:
aaronk wrote:However, she missed the US age 17 mark of Chanelle Price, 2:01.61 from 2008.
(Facts gleaned from HS Track book!!)


I am ASTOUNDED how often the concept of Youth needs to be explained. You must be Under 18 for the entire calendar year to be a youth.

As Price was born August 22, 1990, her last year as a Youth was 2007. Her 2008 performances were as a Junior...

Top 3 US youths before Cain's weekend performance:
2:01.82 Kim Gallagher (dob 11 JUN 1964) Sacramento, CA 21 JUN 1981
2:02.04 Amy Weissenbach (16 JUN 1994) Clovis, CA 04 JUN 2011
2:02.29 Mary Slaney (4 AUG 1958) Durham, NC 06 JUL 1974


And I am ASTOUNDED how often I need to explain that....
I don't give a flying f--k about "youth" records or "junior" records....or the criteria for breaking them.
My personal concern is with ACTUAL SPECIFIC AGE records, based on one's ACTUAL BIRTHDATE!!
And, it seems, so is Jack Shepard!
In his great book, HS Track 2013, he makes NO mention of "youth" records.
On pgs 38-40 of the 2013 edition are listed all the class records and age records for HS girls outdoors.

I DO understand the criteria for setting a youth record.
I just don't care about it!!
That's why I specifically stated the above.....that Cain did NOT break the US age 17 mark of Chanelle Price, as listed in HS Track!!
I said NOTHING about "youth" records.
And I never will!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: US youth records

Postby AS » Sun May 05, 2013 3:47 pm

aaronk wrote:That's why I specifically stated the above.....that Cain did NOT break the US age 17 mark of Chanelle Price, as listed in HS Track!!
I said NOTHING about "youth" records.
And I never will!!


Then STOP posting in a thread about Youth records...

We are all very aware of Cain's efforts given your breathless announcements all over the forum, so we don't really need a replay here

(And as I've said elsewhere many of Cain's achievements are still weaker than most of those of Australia's greatest ever middle distance prodigy Georgie Clarke - a living, breathing example of why NOT to get too excited just yet about Cain's senior prospects)
AS
 
Posts: 4503
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 12 guests