If a DIII school can do it, why can't...

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

If a DIII school can do it, why can't...

Postby dl » Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 pm

.... someone combine some of the top talent in the Oxy Invite this weekend with the m-d/distance athletes who'll be at the Oxy H-P meet on May 17, and you have one helluva track meet. I know the Carson meet didn't draw well (except for the year when Ana Guevara competed), but I gotta think there's some way to put on a pro meet in L.A...

http://oxyathletics.com/sports/mtrack/2 ... etProg.htm

I'm not saying it could get done without federation help, but there's obviously a lot of demand from athletes for competitions...
dl

Re: If a DIII school can do it, why can't...

Postby 26mi235 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:01 pm

As you probably well know, "Oxy" is not just any old DIII school. They used to be a power that went up against the likes of USC in the USC heyday. I went to grad school in Claremont and ended up running with the Pomona College XC/Track team. They were getting ever closer to Oxy each year, finally catching them in XC and then (a tie?) in track in the mid-to late 70s. I think until then Oxy had won league for 30 straight years. The two teams actually got along well together, a lot of similar types. They did a joint 24-hour relay (with a couple of grad students thrown in :) ), racking up 269.x miles.

I am glad to see them still involved so much ; I suspect that some Oxy alums are part of the reason that this meet has done well. It also fills a big gap in the non-collegiate, quality meet department.
26mi235

Postby Conor Dary » Thu May 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Didn't Bob Deines go to Oxy?

PS. Yes, indeed.

http://www.joehenderson.com/longslowdistance/
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby no one » Thu May 02, 2013 6:37 pm

Dixon Farmer
Steve Haas
Joe Faust
John Dobroth
Ron Whitney
Andy Steben
Chuck Smith

Far as my 'off the top of my head' goes. I'm sure many others
no one

Postby 26mi235 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:45 pm

I think he did. I got to race with him once when he was making a comeback. Another guy and I were running together (Mission Bay) starting at ~5 miles; eventually we caught up with him. Unlike everyone else that we caught he ran with us rather than being passed. What then developed was that over the next 5-6 miles one or the other of us would take the lead pushing the pace until we got to a aid station at 24 miles with a little downhill (not many of them on Mission Bay). Too late to take anything that would help I just pushed down the hill ... and did not see either guy again until the end. Bob must of really pushed himself to stay with us because he ended up several (4-6?) minutes back over the last two miles. I stayed to watch my two companions come in and then talked to them. I am glad I did not know who he was because I would probably have punted when he surged, thinking 'I cannot possibly run with Bob Deines'. He was the type of runner that I really admired and to learn that (I can, from him was a nice bonus. I think that that was my favorite road race ever.

Another great Oxy guy was Ken Moffitt who got (and still has?) the US 50mi track record (5:21:21) (he was on the 24-hour relay gig).
26mi235

Postby Jackaloupe » Thu May 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Dixon Farmer went on to serve as AD at Oxy, after winning NCAA 440 H at Penn (1960?), then heading up the US Training Facility at Carson. One prominent 880 star omitted from that era was Todd _____.
Jackaloupe

Postby gh » Thu May 02, 2013 10:18 pm

no one wrote:Dixon Farmer
Steve Haas
Joe Faust
John Dobroth
Ron Whitney
Andy Steben
Chuck Smith

Far as my 'off the top of my head' goes. I'm sure many others

You mean like oly silver medalist bob mcmillen or PV WR setter (maybe not ratified?) Bob Gutowski?
gh

Postby aaronk » Thu May 02, 2013 11:53 pm

Steve Haas is the one athlete I remember distinctly from Occidental!!
Why?
Because he was the first (I believe!!) sprinter who went up in distance to the 440 (not 400 then!!).....and then up AGAIN......to the 880!!

He started as a 9.4 100 YARD guy!!
Also ran the curve 220 in 20.9.
Then later ran a 46.9 440.
And finally, moved up to the 880, running 1:47.6.

I could be wrong, but wasn't he the first "accomplished" sprinter to take on the 880??

Spearmon, Wariner, Bolt, Gay.....are you listening?? :P
aaronk

Postby Conor Dary » Fri May 03, 2013 7:38 am

26mi235 wrote:I think he did. I got to race with him once when he was making a comeback. Another guy and I were running together (Mission Bay) starting at ~5 miles; eventually we caught up with him. Unlike everyone else that we caught he ran with us rather than being passed. What then developed was that over the next 5-6 miles one or the other of us would take the lead pushing the pace until we got to a aid station at 24 miles with a little downhill (not many of them on Mission Bay). Too late to take anything that would help I just pushed down the hill ... and did not see either guy again until the end. Bob must of really pushed himself to stay with us because he ended up several (4-6?) minutes back over the last two miles. I stayed to watch my two companions come in and then talked to them. I am glad I did not know who he was because I would probably have punted when he surged, thinking 'I cannot possibly run with Bob Deines'. He was the type of runner that I really admired and to learn that (I can, from him was a nice bonus. I think that that was my favorite road race ever.

Another great Oxy guy was Ken Moffitt who got (and still has?) the US 50mi track record (5:21:21) (he was on the 24-hour relay gig).

I knew you would remember the name since we talked about Deines in that favorites thread as one of the names I picked. And I remember your story about racing him. I think I would have been worried too, if I knew the guy I was racing was once 4th in the 1968 Olympic Trials marathon.

Also I remembered that picture from Henderson's book, and I thought it had Oxy on it.

Those 24 hour relays were a gas, 40 years ago. And a big deal at the time. I was on 2 of them.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby no one » Fri May 03, 2013 8:41 am

Gutowski - entered the top of my head after I read it here - alas not when I originally posted.

We ran a 24 hr and got 290 +/- going for WR at the time (70 or 71 - can't remember - maybe even 72) "WR" was 295 +/- by a team in England, according to RW. Some interesting stories about that.

MIssion Bay - a team-mate (Doug Schmenk) won that (Marathon) 2 or 3 or 4 times. Won AAU (marathon) in 1973. Someone reported it in the "Paul Ryan Marathon" thread as a winning in 2:15.21 but I'm pretty sure it was 2:15.45. I think he ran on our 24 hr gala. He still runs - in fact I think he placed 2nd in his age group Masters XC champs this past yr. Doug had several marathons under 2:20 - in 2:17 range. He trained one 8 week period @ over 200 mpw. Told me he and another teammate had run a 30+ mile run timing their marathon distance in route @ 2:27. Pretty impressive I thought for a workout in the early 70s. He didn't go to Occidental however :) - a bit off topic.

We did run vs Deines in the so cal road racing venues although he was a bit before our time.
no one

Postby dl » Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 am

Just to clarify, I wasn't belittling Oxy at all. I know all about their history. I remember an issue of California Track & Running News back in the '80's with the cover story "Oxy Track is Back".

I simply wanted to call attention to the fact that if a DIII school can put on these top meets, imagine what we could do with even more resources and manpower.

Kudos to Oxy coach Rob Bartlett for all he's done for the sport outside his "day job".
dl

Postby Conor Dary » Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 am

I remember Doug Schmenk. I just looked up his name in my old RW 1971 Marathon handbook, and saw he ran 2:29:23 at Culver City in 1970 at age 19. An excellent time those days. The 64th best US performance that year. Glad to hear he is still racing well.
Conor Dary

Postby no one » Fri May 03, 2013 9:28 am

I think Doug was ranked #2 or 3 US by TFN - in 73. One year we had 3 guys in marathonTFN top 10 rankings Not bad
no one

Postby aaronk » Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 am

I remember Doug Schmenk quite well!
He ran that 2:15.:21 in the same race I ran my 1st marathon....in 4:02:45!! :oops:
It was the AAU race of 1973, run on a 5 mile flat loop through the residential streets of San Mateo and Burlingame!
We finished with a 1.2 mile extension to finish on the San Mateo HS track.
Schmenk lapped me.....TWICE!!
(To be LAPPED on a 5 mile loop.....twice.....is NOT something to brag about!!)

Also, it was the only race I've ever run where a Marine Corp band played the Star-Spangled Banner before the race!! :)
aaronk

Postby BCBaroo » Fri May 03, 2013 10:17 am

As an Oxy alum, this thread is a nice little Friday treat. Go Tigers!
BCBaroo

Postby no one » Fri May 03, 2013 10:40 am

was pretty sure it was 2:15.45 .... I was wrong ... it was 2:15.48 per USA Track and Field page/history of champions. I'm sure Doug would take that 2:15.21 though. Doug, I am sure would appreciate my attention to detail - as that was/is the way he was/is. And a great person by the way - very humble about his many marathon victories and times.
no one

Postby Jackaloupe » Fri May 03, 2013 10:24 pm

gh's Oxy List has Chuck Smith, but Doug Smith was their outstanding Sprinter from the 50s who went on to a remarkable Masters career.
Jackaloupe