Really Annoying Mazda TV Ad

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Really Annoying Mazda TV Ad

Postby jhc68 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 pm

Anyone else seen this one?
It opens with two video clips of Brumel misses and follows with a Fosbury clearance.
Then a lot of fanfare about the failure of old methods and embracing revolutionary change
(a la Mazda!)
Thus denigrating the arguable GOAT the high jump. Having seen both Fosbury and Brumel jump it would never have occured to me that Fosbury was the superior jumper (most likely it never occured to Fosbury either!)
Of course Fosbury redefined the event, but presenting Brumel as symbolic of failure is... well, just annoying as hell!!!
jhc68

Re: Really Annoying Mazda TV Ad

Postby Per Andersen » Wed May 01, 2013 10:32 pm

jhc68 wrote:Anyone else seen this one?
It opens with two video clips of Brumel misses and follows with a Fosbury clearance.
Then a lot of fanfare about the failure of old methods and embracing revolutionary change
(a la Mazda!)
Thus denigrating the arguable GOAT the high jump. Having seen both Fosbury and Brumel jump it would never have occured to me that Fosbury was the superior jumper (most likely it never occured to Fosbury either!)
Of course Fosbury redefined the event, but presenting Brumel as symbolic of failure is... well, just annoying as hell!!!

I haven't seen but that sounds sick! Not to mention that Brumel jumped 4 cm higher that Fosbury ever did.
Per Andersen

Postby bambam » Thu May 02, 2013 3:29 am

I saw that ad also. What occurred to me is whether or not Fosbury is getting compensated for this? He should be, if not.
bambam

Postby Marlow » Thu May 02, 2013 6:06 am

A. You taking offense (deservedly so) is primarily due to your background. VERY few others would even understand what you're talking about (Brumel, straddle vs. flop).
B. At the (unfair) expense of a great champion, they made their point succinctly, which, in the ad game, is the highest priority.
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Blood thirsy savage that I am, such ignorant advertising should be a capital offense. :twisted:
lonewolf

Postby marknhj » Thu May 02, 2013 3:27 pm

I think the ad is fantastic! I was shocked when I first saw it and particularly like the lines superimposed on the video showing how the flop is a vastly superior technique (as well as aesthetically more pleasing to watch by a factor of 100). And, any publicity for the sport is good publicity, right? Certainly better than druggies, killers and virgins.

It didn't occur to me that it would be conceived as a diss on Brumel. HJSteve must either be on vacation or drooling in shock in dark corner someplace :D
marknhj

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu May 02, 2013 4:20 pm

marknhj wrote:I think the ad is fantastic! I was shocked when I first saw it and particularly like the lines superimposed on the video showing how the flop is a vastly superior technique (as well as aesthetically more pleasing to watch by a factor of 100). And, any publicity for the sport is good publicity, right? Certainly better than druggies, killers and virgins.

It didn't occur to me that it would be conceived as a diss on Brumel. HJSteve must either be on vacation or drooling in shock in dark corner someplace :D

JUST read all this !!!

Re marknhj: wrong ! wrong ! wrong ! lol
dukehjsteve

Postby bambam » Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 pm

OK, it seems he is being compensated for this ad - Avery Brundage is probably rolling over in his grave and sending messages down to Rogge to negate Fosbury's Olympic gold.
bambam

Postby Jackaloupe » Thu May 02, 2013 9:30 pm

the flop is a vastly superior technique (as well as aesthetically more pleasing to watch by a factor of 100).

Unless...you've ever jumped yerself facing the bar all the way, seeing it beneath you and rolling over! Guess it's depends on your point of view, literally!
Jackaloupe

Postby lonewolf » Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 pm

The thing about the straddle is, back in the sand pit days, while you were thinking about jumping you had to be worrying about landing. :)
lonewolf

Postby Jackaloupe » Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 am

Sand pit days ended--at least at the "higher" levels--in the late 50s, about a decade before Fosbury came on the scene. The move to some form of Foam Rubber (encased in nets at USC) enabled Straddlers to roll all the way over onto their backs--more a continuous motion than the high kick (Charley Dumas) or uncocked hip of Ernie Shelton.

As has been remarked here the main revolution in the Straddle was Russian: driving in at much higher speed and rocking (the built-up forefoot shoe didn't last long, if a bit longer than the 2-foot takeoff/back flip of that Gymnast indoors).

A silly irony for aging Masters HJ'ers still using the Straddle: The dang mats are so high relative to the low (4 ft. range) bar, it feels like jumping UP into the "pit".
Jackaloupe

Postby jhc68 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am

Of course Marlow is right in pointing out that I am among probabaly only a half-dozen people on earth offended by the commercial!

Normal folks don't know the HJ from the PV and aren't even embarrassed by their ignorance! And when you talk terms like straddle and flop you get nothing but blank stares... Brumel? 99.999% of the world population would not recognize the name. Fosbury is more familiar to some but if you asked anything specific about him, it's like Jay Walking with Leno time.

And Marlow is also right that the ad is succinct and makes a simple point clearly, especially with the overlay of trajectories and angles and notations which marknhj correctly notes reflect the flop's efficiency and superior physics. So just as Fosbury's science changed the HJ world, so does Mazda's science change the automotive universe :D ! Wrong.

The implication is that Fosbury and his OSU coaches sat down and figured out all the math and logistical elements of jumping waaaay better than those backward Soviets, then said Eureka! The let's tell Dick to jump with a back layout. Anyone think the flop was deliberately created in that manner?

But yeah I know that is just the nature of advertising. And the exposure - HJ on national TV spots - is great! In fact, Fosbury has been much more influential in track than Mazda has been in technology. Mazda's revolutionary auto innovation came about the same time as the flop revolution in HJing, it was the Wankel rotary engine. How many flop jumpers drive Wankel powered cars to the meet?

As for Fosbury collecting $ for the ad, didn't he have eligibility left at Oregon State?
Clearly whatever money is generated should be going to the NCAA since student-athletes are indentured servants to that organization.

Anyway, the whole thing just rubbed me wrong because Brumel is shown as the image of failure. Cranky old men are entitled to stew in their juices from time to time. And we are also entitled to our (absolutely correct) view that straddle jumping is much more visually pleasing than watching a bar clearance that most resembles a drunk falling backwards off a barstool!!!
Last edited by jhc68 on Fri May 03, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhc68

Postby wamego relays champ » Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 am

jhc68 wrote:Anyone else seen this one?
(a la Mazda!)!

Been away from the tube for a while, so had to look this one up online.

For those similarly situated:
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Z2t/2014-mazda6-high-jump-song-by-the-who

And the print version from the same campaign:

http://bit.ly/ZsU3sU

wamego relays champ

Postby BCBaroo » Fri May 03, 2013 10:41 am

As a former high jumper and a current TV commercial writer I feel like it's my duty to comment on this commercial.

I love it because it's about high jumping. I like the graphic treatment of The Flop with call-outs describing it's superiority.

BUT- the commercial falls apart for me in its claim that Mazda is somehow the vehicle equivalent of Flop vs Straddle. Ummm. Sorry. I don't think so. It goes on to say that "we changed everything. Engine. Body. Even the wheel." All the while showing a car that looks pretty much like a regular old car. "Flipping convention on it's head." Ha, get it. Just like the flop.

I also do find the shots of Brumel missing feel kind of silly. It's somewhat reminiscent of those infomercials where people just can't do ANYTHING right. "Darn these paper cuts! There has to be a better way!"

If it were me, I would've also tried to get a hold of some footage of Soto jumping 8 feet - as proof that new ideas can actually take you to places that others couldn't even imagine.

Final assessment. C+

Incidentally, I guarantee that he got paid. He has been used in multiple commercials over the years as somehow who "did things differently - ergo doing them better". He's not just gonna let people use his image without getting a few bucks in the bank.
BCBaroo

Postby wamego relays champ » Fri May 03, 2013 11:06 am

BCBaroo wrote:
Incidentally, I guarantee that he got paid. He has been used in multiple commercials over the years as somehow who "did things differently - ergo doing them better". He's not just gonna let people use his image without getting a few bucks in the bank.

Agree with BCB about the ad's effectiveness, as it is not clear that there is anything revolutionary about the design of the the new Mazda 6. (I think I would feel differently about the ad if I had heard of their "Skyactiv" technology, or if other major car makers had adopted Mazda's original rotary engine design).

But also agree that seeing T&F on display in a positive light always brings a smile. One of the prior Fosbury commercials to which BCB refers is one from VISA during the 2008 OG, which was much kinder to the pre-flop era jumpers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RO1e9BwBys

wamego relays champ

Postby 26mi235 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:22 am

BCB; as I remember you had a really nice commercial during the 2008 Olympics (the rings and continents or some thing like that). Could you provide a link; going back to look five years ago is not as easy as asking the guy who did it.

In a way, this Mazda ad would be more 'appropriate' back when they were using the Wankel engine, which truly was different, although history has confined it to a footnote by now.
26mi235

Postby JumboElliott » Fri May 03, 2013 12:16 pm

The only reason that they used footage of Brumel missing is because there's more available footage of him hitting the bar than anyone else, and also more that is in the "public domain". Simple as that.
JumboElliott

Postby booond » Fri May 03, 2013 2:23 pm

I thought you were talking about the Subaru ad on the T n F site that keeps playing and even when muted comes to life.
booond