Duke Twilight Meet

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Duke Twilight Meet

Postby bambam » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Duke Twilight Meet this Sunday evening - 5 May

Last track & field meet on the Duke track in Wallace Wade Stadium around the football field. It gets torn down this summer and a new track-specific track & field facility will be built above the stadium on an old lacrosse field - will seat about 2,000 people

End of an era - lots of good meets there - USA-Africa, USA-West Germany (both 70s), NCAAs (1990 and another time in the late 90s), US Olympic Festival. Probably many more I don't remember. Oh well. Another one bites the dust.
bambam

Re: Duke Twilight Meet

Postby gh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:30 pm

and with it goes any dreams of Durham ever hosting a major meet ever again... the list gets smaller and smaller....
gh

Postby KevinM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:37 pm

What's even more absurd is that it's 2 schools whose athletic departments aren't football obsessed that are the most prominent to remove their tracks (Kansas is the other).

This football arms race is a joke.
KevinM

Postby gh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

I can't imagine that KU's athletic department isn't football-obsessed.
gh

Postby kuha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Right. From what I've heard this year's KU Relays will be the last in that stadium. I was there on the Saturday, and the stadium was (by my guess), 5% full--an overwhelming display of fan apathy. Frankly, in situations like this, the atmosphere of meets can only improve in small, dedicated stadia--which, of course, will rule out the hope of ANY larger crowds, ever again.
kuha

Postby DrJay » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:08 pm

bambam wrote:Duke Twilight Meet this Sunday evening - 5 May

Last track & field meet on the Duke track in Wallace Wade Stadium around the football field. It gets torn down this summer and a new track-specific track & field facility will be built above the stadium on an old lacrosse field - will seat about 2,000 people

End of an era - lots of good meets there - USA-Africa, USA-West Germany (both 70s), NCAAs (1990 and another time in the late 90s), US Olympic Festival. Probably many more I don't remember. Oh well. Another one bites the dust.

I made the Olympic Festival meet, was in school there at the time. Managed to drag a couple of non-track fan friends along and they had a good time.
DrJay

Postby KevinM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:15 pm

gh wrote:I can't imagine that KU's athletic department isn't football-obsessed.

You're right - poor choice of words on my part. Perhaps substitute fan base for athletic department.
KevinM

Postby KevinM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

kuha wrote:Right. From what I've heard this year's KU Relays will be the last in that stadium. I was there on the Saturday, and the stadium was (by my guess), 5% full--an overwhelming display of fan apathy. Frankly, in situations like this, the atmosphere of meets can only improve in small, dedicated stadia--which, of course, will rule out the hope of ANY larger crowds, ever again.

Fan apathy, or was the product just not that great?
KevinM

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm

bambam wrote:Duke Twilight Meet this Sunday evening - 5 May

Alas, the memories, the memories... how many times in 4 years did I go up and down that tunnel ? ( 1961-1965)
dukehjsteve

Postby kuha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm

KevinM wrote:
kuha wrote:Right. From what I've heard this year's KU Relays will be the last in that stadium. I was there on the Saturday, and the stadium was (by my guess), 5% full--an overwhelming display of fan apathy. Frankly, in situations like this, the atmosphere of meets can only improve in small, dedicated stadia--which, of course, will rule out the hope of ANY larger crowds, ever again.

Fan apathy, or was the product just not that great?

Once again, this is a total chicken/egg issue. Why is the product no longer so great? Are the KU folks that much dumber than they were 40 or 50 years ago? I don't think so.
kuha

Postby lonewolf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm

I worked both of the NCAAs at Duke, dont remember the years. I remember walking down into the stadium and the difficulty finding the campus in the middle of that forest every time I left and tried to return.
I worked the HJ that first meet.The only time I remember calling a time foul on a woman Hjer, Gia(? ) Johnson , USC. She later bulked up and made the bobsled team. I think a little redhead from Idaho, smallest jumper in the field, either won or was the last eliminated.

The first trip was made memorable by alternator crapping out on the way home on Sunday in Sevierville, TN, Dolly Parton's home town. Took a picture of the courthouse and the life size statue of Dolly on the front lawn, got back in car, would not start. A congenial young lady in an American Eagle, jumped me (the car, that is) and led us to Mouse's rather rustic but expansive salvage (junk) yard on the edge of town. As promised, Mouse was open for business. He did not stock alternators for 1983 Lincolns but he and two employees spent a couple of hours pulling alternators from junk cars before finding one he "though would work". Charged me $20, said if it did not get me home he would refund my $20. It did but I would not have had the gall to ask for a refund.

Second trip, right rear air suspension developed a leak ten miles east of Ashville, NC. Limped into town with tail dragging. Astonshingly, the Lincon dealer was open on a Sunday.. fixed the car while we ate lunch across the street. Worked Horizontal Jumps...don't remember a thing about it.

I did not work the Olympic Festival at Duke but I remember watching on TV and, as I remember it, the Mens 4x4 relay was the most exciting, evenly matched relay I can recall ever seeing. You could have covered the field with a blanket the entire four laps. I wonder if a video is out there..
Oh, the mahogany, brass and marble of Cameron Indoor Stadium is pretty inpressive too.

That is my fond memory of expeditions to Duke.
lonewolf

Postby bambam » Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 am

One other thing to remember is that our current AD is a former track coach, Kevin White. If this can happen with him in charge, there's no stopping football - for the time being, at least. It will stop in a few years when no parents will let their kids play that stupid sport for fear of rattling their brains too much.
bambam