Baby O: Be Afraid


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Baby O: Be Afraid

Postby mump boy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 pm

mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Baby O: Be Afraid

Postby peach77 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm really excited to see what this does to The BIg O- changing her tactics entirely is a big risk but one she should take at this point of the Olympic cycle. The attitude she has seems completely different and we'll see in the coming races how she progresses, but I'd love her to nail a title in low 49s to finally put to rest the quite ridiculous notion that a twice Olympic medallist world champion who has beaten everyone she could possibly beat at one point or another is somehow not "worthy" of the accolade...
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: Baby O: Be Afraid

Postby mump boy » Fri May 10, 2013 4:30 am

peach77 wrote:I'm really excited to see what this does to The BIg O- changing her tactics entirely is a big risk but one she should take at this point of the Olympic cycle. The attitude she has seems completely different and we'll see in the coming races how she progresses, but I'd love her to nail a title in low 49s to finally put to rest the quite ridiculous notion that a twice Olympic medallist world champion who has beaten everyone she could possibly beat at one point or another is somehow not "worthy" of the accolade...


Only quite ridiculous people think that :roll:
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Baby O: Be Afraid

Postby iain » Fri May 10, 2013 7:02 am

I just hope that this doesn't affect her peak too much, as we constantly see with the likes of the Russians and Montsho.
iain
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Baby O: Be Afraid

Postby eldanielfire » Fri May 10, 2013 12:36 pm

iain wrote:I just hope that this doesn't affect her peak too much, as we constantly see with the likes of the Russians and Montsho.



I wonder if Montsho runs so much because she doesn't earn much from sponsorship? I seem to recall a rant last year, maybe from somebody in her management team or federation about how little attention she got for being world champion in comparison to others/

As for the Russians, it doesn't matter when they race a lot or a little, when they get to a big championship they just run like idiots and kill themselves or don't appear to be able to save themselves in the rounds. I wonder if it's the pressure of trying so hard to take on the American girls?
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Baby O: Be Afraid

Postby 26mi235 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Well, we get some test of hypotheses this year, since the WCs are 'at home', is it the 'away from home' or the 'championship' element that is a problem.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16334
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Baby O: Be Afraid

Postby eldanielfire » Fri May 10, 2013 1:46 pm

26mi235 wrote:Well, we get some test of hypotheses this year, since the WCs are 'at home', is it the 'away from home' or the 'championship' element that is a problem.



The thing is, there were Russian multiple "sub-50 sec" performances on their way to whitewashing the 400m at the European championships, though Krivoshapka blew-up in that race as well. The weird thing is their successes at long distances in the likes of Yuliya Zaripova or Marina Savinova and examples of two Russian athletes who absolutely get it right in championships everytime.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Baby O: Be Afraid

Postby Deerfoot » Fri May 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Sadly I think some people do underrate TBO because she seldom runs fast outside championships. Granted, you can't place her among the absolute greats of the event like Perec, Freeman and Richards-Ross. But she's in the next rank and the point is she delivers when it matters. Like Kim Collins and Darren Campbell(and others) I respect her championship prowess while acknowledging she doesn't have the raw ability of the very best. In a way this makes her record all the more remarkable. She is a genius at peaking.
Deerfoot
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:23 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: athleticshushmail, norunner, ShackShock and 15 guests