Mobbing: the Revenge of the Tall Blond Man (Lemaitre)

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Mobbing: the Revenge of the Tall Blond Man (Lemaitre)

Postby EPelle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 pm

An excerpt from Christophe Lemaitre's autobiography, Revenge of the Tall Blond Man, in which he discusses being mobbed in school/university:

http://leplus.nouvelobs.com/contributio ... vaire.html

In college, it turned to disaster. I didn't speak at home. I didn't want to say anything. However, my family was well aware that something was wrong. I was not a fighter (...) These college years were a hassle. I don't carry one good memory. They laughed at me constantly.(...) They took advantage, they insisted, because I was very reserved. I did not have the courage to answer. My shyness prevented me. It was hard to bear, especially during that moment.

How prevalent was mobbing in your school? Do you find it more or less widespread today?
EPelle

Re: Mobbing: the Revenge of the Tall Blond Man (Lemaitre)

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am

What is mobbing?
jazzcyclist

Postby mump boy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:28 pm

i <3 Christophe Lemaitre
mump boy

Postby lonewolf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:32 pm

I think the closest thing to mobbing when I was in college 1949-53 were "panty raids". :)
Anyone remember those?
lonewolf

Postby norunner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:56 pm

22 years old and already an autobiography. I wonder if Willow Smith (Will Smith's daughter) already has a bookdeal signed, after all, she is almost 13 years old.
What is it with all these autobiographies from very young and still very active athletes?
norunner

Postby kuha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:00 pm

norunner wrote:What is it with all these autobiographies from very young and still very active athletes?

I'm sure the answer is super complex. But I'll take a guess: publishers see a way to make a quick buck.
kuha

Postby gh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:32 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:What is mobbing?

<<The word mobbing is preferred to bullying in continental Europe and in those situations where a target is selected and bullied (mobbed) by a group of people rather than by one individual.>>
gh

Postby Daisy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:35 pm

kuha wrote:But I'll take a guess: publishers see a way to make a quick buck.

Never! You're such a cynic. Next you'll be telling me this is why they rearrange all the figures in their text books and then publish them as a new edition.

Back to the mobbing. I guess he was a target for being lanky, and probably not a natural talent at soccer, the only sport that matters. Being crap at soccer is a big mark against you in Europe.
Daisy

Postby user4 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 am

Daisy wrote:
kuha wrote:But I'll take a guess: publishers see a way to make a quick buck.

Never! You're such a cynic. Next you'll be telling me this is why they rearrange all the figures in their text books and then publish them as a new edition.

Back to the mobbing. I guess he was a target for being lanky, and probably not a natural talent at soccer, the only sport that matters. Being crap at soccer is a big mark against you in Europe.

It is kind of interesting that the best soccer players are kind of shortish by US standards, with the exception of the goalie of course. Which leads to the obvious and tired observation that CL and Bolt could have made a spectacular impact on the continent or south america as soccer goalies ... instead they are running on a track,... oh what a waste of talent.
user4

Postby eldanielfire » Wed May 01, 2013 9:21 am

kuha wrote:
norunner wrote:What is it with all these autobiographies from very young and still very active athletes?

I'm sure the answer is super complex. But I'll take a guess: publishers see a way to make a quick buck.

I think young autobios are ridiculous but if I was in my early 20's and was offered £70k+ to talk about my short life to somebody who will make it read better than what it is for a few weeks I'd not turn it down. Especially as you could lose form, have an injury end your career and never be as hot again.
eldanielfire