Morgan Uceny.

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Morgan Uceny.

Postby lovetorun » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:43 pm

After 2:05.50 and not in the race and 4:17.71 and not in the race...does anyone have any info re: what's going on with Morgan Uceny?
lovetorun

Re: Morgan Uceny.

Postby mrbowie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Don't know why she ran below par, but she looked prettier, healthier and more relaxed than last year.
mrbowie

Postby gh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 pm

you might want to reconsider with the "prettier" bullshit.
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 pm

I thought his use of the word "prettier" in this context was misplaced as well. However, I have a theory that perhaps some of our female posters can weigh in on. Are female athletes who've reached the zenith of their sport more receptive to compliments on their looks than female who've failed or who are journeywomen? Would Lolo Jones have flipped out at being compared to Anna Kournikova last year in the New York Times if she hadn't hit the ninth hurdle in Beijing final and followed that up with a world titles in Berlin and Deagu? I have a hunch that women who've reached the promise land of their respective sports are much less defensive about being viewed as sex symbols than women who haven't.
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Don't know why Alan Webb ran below par, but he looked handsomer, healthier and more relaxed than last year.

that plain enough?
gh

Postby John G » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 am

Middle distance and distance runners at the peak of their powers often don't look very well. Both Coe and Ovett's Mothers saud they could tell when they were hitting peak fitness because they started to look terrible. A few extra pounds will often make someone look prettier or more handsome. I realise however that cultural attitudes differ regarding whether it is acceptable to make comment!
John G

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 am

Believe Uceny's hip(?) injury from fall at Olympics, plus move to England gave her a late start on fall training.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:34 am

gh wrote:Don't know why Alan Webb ran below par, but he looked handsomer, healthier and more relaxed than last year.

that plain enough?

I get your point, but I don't think men are as sensitive to that sort of thing as women are.
jazzcyclist

Postby TN1965 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:00 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Would Lolo Jones have flipped out at being compared to Anna Kournikova last year in the New York Times if she hadn't hit the ninth hurdle in Beijing final and followed that up with a world titles in Berlin and Deagu?

If Lolo had won Beijing, Berlin or Daegu, she would have been compared to Maria Sharapova instead of Anna Kournikova. And I don't think the comparison would have bothered her. :)
TN1965

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 am

TN1965 wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Would Lolo Jones have flipped out at being compared to Anna Kournikova last year in the New York Times if she hadn't hit the ninth hurdle in Beijing final and followed that up with a world titles in Berlin and Deagu?

If Lolo had won Beijing, Berlin or Daegu, she would have been compared to Maria Sharapova instead of Anna Kournikova. And I don't think the comparison would have bothered her. :)

But even if she had been compared to Kournikova after an outdoor global title, she would have just chuckled and brushed it off in the same way someone brushes off a spec of dust on their shoulder. Two years ago, Lebron James was very sensitive to accusations that he was an underachiever who didn't show up for big games, and he often felt compelled to defend himself against these barbs. If a sportswriter made that same accusation today, it wouldn't affect him at all and he probably wouldn't even care enough to respond to it.

By the way, I rememeber Sharapova doing an interview a while back before she had won any Grand Slams, and when the interviewer asked her about the Kournikova comparison, Sharapova looked like she was ready to jump across the table and strangle him before she told him not to mention her name again.
jazzcyclist

Postby ExCoastRanger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 am

Maybe she changed her hair.
When Alan did message boards buzzed.
And it still had nothing to do with anything.

Seriously -- let's get back to the late-start theory. Curious if anybody has info on her training setting in UK, how long after flying back to U.S. was that 800, how long she might stay in the U.S. and where she might race next.

It seems to me Uceny has operated at a pretty high level (I was going to say she's been "hot," but I don't want anybody to think I'm talking about anything but performance), indoors and out, since at least 2010, maybe even since the '08 OT.

Everybody needs some kind of break. It could be she's in a deliberate build phase right now, or her body could be sending signals it's tired and not ready for race intensity right now. Personally, my money is on the former.
ExCoastRanger

Postby marknhj » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:27 am

jazzcyclist wrote:By the way, I rememeber Sharapova doing an interview a while back before she had won any Grand Slams, and when the interviewer asked her about the Kournikova comparison, Sharapova looked like she was ready to jump across the table and strangle him before she told him not to mention her name again.

Sharapova won Wimbledon when she was 17.
marknhj

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am

marknhj wrote: Sharapova won Wimbledon when she was 17.

I'm aware of that. What's your point?
jazzcyclist

Postby ExCoastRanger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Uceny was interviewed on 4/25 by Peter Gambacinni (http://am1050.com/2013/morgan-uceny-lau ... ck-season/).

Why did you decide to open the year with an 800?
Morgan Uceny: In the past, I did the [B.A.A. Mile], but I just didn’t want to travel that far. I wanted to stay somewhere local. And two of my training partners right now, Sheila Reid, who’s here in San Diego, and Lynsey Sharp from Scotland, one of my new teammates, were also running the 800. It made sense to open up at the same time.

It’s been a long time since I’ve raced, so I just need to get back in that environment. I never race very well early on, so I know I need some of these early races to see where I’m at and see what kind of work I need to hit in training.

When did you come from England to the United States, and will you stay through the USATF Championships?
MU: I came over on March 20. I’m staying through May 6. After Drake, there’s another meet in San Diego on May 5. After that race, I’ll fly back to England and do a couple of races in May. I’ll probably go to Rome, and then there is another meet in the town I’m living in, the Loughborough International. Then I’ll come back over for [the USATF Championships in June].

In the article she also says, "I know my fitness isn't where it needs to be...."
ExCoastRanger

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 pm

I was wondering why she was in England. Now I know.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.