Should Jeter be sanctioned by USA Track and Field

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Should Jeter be sanctioned by USA Track and Field

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:21 pm

A raging debate has been going on all over the internet the past few days about the "shock" utterance of the F bomb on live national TV by superstar sprinter Jeter during the running of the womens 4 x 100m at the just concluded Penn Relays.

A replay by NBC showed an "outraged" Jeter visibly upset over the US losing the event. Jeter had previously anchored the US team to wins the past three years.

Should she be sanctioned by USA Track and Field for "Unsportsman/woman" like behavior in front of a national TV audience in the middle of a Saturday afternoon?

For a person of her stature, what message is this sending to our kids most notably our young upcoming athletes?

What do you think?
Last edited by jamboy on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jamboy

Re: Should Jeter be sanctioned by USA Track and Field

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm

jamboy wrote:A raging debate has been going on all over the internet the past few days about the "shock" utterance of the F bomb on live national TV by superstar sprinter Jeter during the running of the womens 4 x 100m at the just concluded Penn Relay.
A replay by NBC showed an "outraged" Jeter visibly upset over the US losing the event. Jeter had previously anchored the US team to wins the past three years.
Should she be sanctioned by USA Track and Field for "Unsportsman/woman" like behavior in front of a national TV audience in the middle of a Saturday afternoon?
What do you think?

Mountain out of molehill. Sh*t happens; deal with it. She could issue a simple apology (sincere or not) and it's over.
Marlow

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Nice dog-whistle title, you jackass.
JumboElliott

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Marlow wrote:
jamboy wrote:A raging debate has been going on all over the internet the past few days about the "shock" utterance of the F bomb on live national TV by superstar sprinter Jeter during the running of the womens 4 x 100m at the just concluded Penn Relay.
What do you think?

Mountain out of molehill. Sh*t happens; deal with it. She could issue a simple apology (sincere or not) and it's over.

A TV reporter on his first day on the job uttered the word "Sh*t" on live local TV and fired his first day on the job. This happened last week.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:30 pm

JumboElliott wrote:Nice dog-whistle title, you jackass.

Don't shoot the messenger.
jamboy

Postby norunner » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:30 pm

It's sad that in a country where you can see people being tortured, killed, maimed, disected etc. on TV every day, one swear word gets you in trouble. Blow someone's head off, no problem, as long as you don't swear while doing it. A few weeks ago i heard an interview with an american rock band on the radio, don't remember their name. The interview started with a wish the band had, they had heard that you can swear on german radio and tv and wanted to try it, so they ended up swearing for like a minute, it was hilarious. And surprisingly, germany still stands and nobody gave a s@it.
Leave Jeter alone, all she did was what everyone does plenty of times a day and what freedom of speech should allow you to do.
norunner

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:37 pm

jamboy wrote:A TV reporter on his first day on the job uttered the word "Sh*t" on live local TV and fired his first day on the job. This happened last week.

It is his profession and he knows rules of his profession. Jeter is a track athlete, she did not break any 'must not' rules of track and field. So, would USATF sanction her for, well, bringing the sport into disrepute?

The broadcasting company is actually the party of interest here and typically they have a several-second delay on the telecast so that some utterances can be contained. I guess they did not do their job. However, I believe that even the hide-bound FCC has seen fit to modify its extreme interpretations, even if it took pushing by other parties (cannot remember clearly but I thought that their extreme penalties have been altered).
26mi235

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:39 pm

This appears to be a "troll" thread.

The camera crew and network deserve the blame for trying to get the "reaction". They should have had a delay and cut it out. Get a grip on reality.
odelltrclan

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 pm

odelltrclan wrote:This appears to be a "troll" thread.

The camera crew and network deserve the blame for trying to get the "reaction". They should have had a delay and cut it out. Get a grip on reality.

Troll? Definitely not. The internet has been abuzz since Saturday about this incident. Just wanted to bring the discussion over here and wanted to get different opinions on such a major incident.
jamboy

Postby Flumpy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:45 pm

That's because it is a troll thread.
Flumpy

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Flumpy wrote:

Can we hear your informed opinion on this issue?
jamboy

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

jamboy wrote:. . . .such a major incident.

Hardly. You see F bombs frequently in all the pro major sports. Every one of us do it occasionally. Passion of the moment. Whose fault is it that it is on TV? The television crew should have a delay so they can edit it. It is their fault more than anyone else's. Athletes should try and do better but we are all human. This is NOT a major incident!
odelltrclan

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:52 pm

odelltrclan wrote:

Hardly. You see F bombs frequently in all the pro major sports. Every one of us do it occasionally. Passion of the moment. Whose fault is it that it is on TV? The television crew should have a delay so they can edit it. It is their fault more than anyone else's. Athletes should try and do better but we are all human. This is NOT a major incident!

As someone mentioned earlier, the least she should do is issue a public apology.
jamboy

Postby norunner » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 pm

jamboy wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:

As someone mentioned earlier, the least she should do is issue a public apology.
Unless you are a politician, you apologize because you feel you did something wrong, not because someone expects it from you. If she does not feel she did anything wrong, she should not apologize.
norunner

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:59 pm

norunner wrote:
jamboy wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:

Unless you are a politician, you apologize because you feel you did something wrong, not because someone expects it from you. If she does not feel she did anything wrong, she should not apologize.

It is wrong to utter the F bomb on national TV whether you meant it or not. An apology is the professional/right thing to do.
Last edited by jamboy on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 pm

The internet being 'abuzz' is hardly a recommendation for something of import. They are abuzz over an over-exposed 19-year old trying to bring a monkey into Germany; for following Hanna Montana [smirk] incessantly; for the 13,000 different things that the Kardasians (singly and together) have done this week.

It is the broadcaster's mistake. You will notice that even though they were paying Janet Jackson, so she was one of the professionals involved, that the Super Bowl 'wardrobe malfunction', it was the broadcaster that they fined a huge amount of money, not JJ. Maybe they should have downgraded one of her Platinum albums to Gold status; that would have made everything right...
26mi235

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:16 pm

26mi235 wrote:The internet being 'abuzz' is hardly a recommendation for something of import. They are abuzz over an over-exposed 19-year old trying to bring a monkey into Germany; for following Hanna Montana [smirk] incessantly; for the 13,000 different things that the Kardasians (singly and together) have done this week.

It is the broadcaster's mistake. You will notice that even though they were paying Janet Jackson, so she was one of the professionals involved, that the Super Bowl 'wardrobe malfunction', it was the broadcaster that they fined a huge amount of money, not JJ. Maybe they should have downgraded one of her Platinum albums to Gold status; that would have made everything right...

Are you suggesting that Jeter has no responsibility for uttering the F bomb on live national TV?
jamboy

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:17 pm

jamboy wrote:As someone mentioned earlier, the least she should do is issue a public apology.

Were you personally offended?
If not, why 'should' she? I said she 'could', just to appear to be playing nicely.
If so . . . :?: :!:
Marlow

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Marlow wrote:
jamboy wrote:As someone mentioned earlier, the least she should do is issue a public apology.

If not, why 'should' she? I said she 'could', just to appear to be playing nicely.

I was highly offended. I was watching the meet with my daughter on Sunday and she asked me what happened. Daddy had to explain to her in a PC way of course what happened.
jamboy

Postby norunner » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:27 pm

jamboy wrote:It it wrong to utter the F bomb on national TV whether you meant it or not. An apology is the professional/right thing to do.
Is it? Is there a law against it?
norunner

Postby Blues » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:30 pm

Flumpy wrote:

For those who've been familiar with jamboy/jammmin/notorious/etc./etc. for quite a while, they're aware that he's universally regarded as one of the most prolific anti-American/pro-Jamaican trolls in the history of internet track and field discussion groups, a designation that he's proud of and that he's also earned in other T&F groups besides this one... Although he posts valuable and worthwhile posts when he wants to, he also often takes the opportunity to criticize US athletes (often unfairly) or to exaggerate the accomplishments of Jamaican athletes in an attempt to antagonize American fans. Everyone should take his posts with a grain of salt, at least when he's in his troll mode...

As far as Carmelita Jeter goes, she'd only share some guilt if she knew she was being shown on television when she allegedly said what she did, but I don't think that was the case. Also, the fact that she really wanted to run at Penn and felt she was healthy and could do it, but that her coach John Smith refused to allow her to compete despite her wishes, might make seeing your national team lose the way it did on the anchor leg extra frustrating... Jammmin will probably reply that Jeter would have been easily run down by SAFP too, but we'll never know...
Blues

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Blues wrote:
Flumpy wrote:

For those who've been familiar with jamboy/jammmin/notorious/etc./etc. for quite a while, they're aware that he's universally regarded as one of the most prolific anti-American/pro-Jamaican trolls in the history of internet track and field discussion groups, a designation that he's proud of and that he's also earned in other T&F groups besides this one... Although he posts valuable and worthwhile posts when he wants to, he also often takes the opportunity to criticize US athletes (often unfairly) or to exaggerate the accomplishments of Jamaican athletes in an attempt to antagonize American fans. Everyone should take his posts with a grain of salt, at least when he's in his troll mode...

As far as Carmelita Jeter goes, she'd only share some guilt if she knew she was being shown on television when she allegedly said what she did, but I don't think that was the case. Also, the fact that she really wanted to run at Penn and felt she was healthy and could do it, but that her coach John Smith refused to allow her to compete despite her wishes, might make seeing your national team lose the way it did on the anchor leg extra frustrating... Jammmin will probably reply that Jeter would have been easily run down by SAFP too, but we'll never know...

I really wish I knew who these other posters people are comparing me to. I have been posting here for the past 5 years under no other moniker because I don't need to. I laugh myself silly every time someone says I am like someone who apparently they had an issue with.

Sorry, I cannot legitimize bad behaviour regardless of whether the TV cameras should be on or off. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour. Its that simple and those are the principles I teach my kids.
Last edited by jamboy on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jamboy

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:37 pm

jamboy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I was highly offended. I was watching the meet with my daughter on Sunday and she asked me what happened. Daddy had to explain to her in a PC way of course what happened.

So I suppose you were highly offended by this (http://deadspin.com/5287143/usain-bolt-shows-off-his-most-treasured-keepsake-from-beijing) and believe Bolt should've been sanctioned and released a public apology?
Grasshopper

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
jamboy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

So I suppose you were highly offended by this (http://deadspin.com/5287143/usain-bolt-shows-off-his-most-treasured-keepsake-from-beijing) and believe Bolt should've been sanctioned and released a public apology?

Lets stay on topic please.
Thankyou.
jamboy

Postby running4life » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:44 pm

I am Jamaican and wasn't offended by Jeter nasty F bombs. However I thought they were tacky.
running4life

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:46 pm

running4life wrote:I am Jamaican and wasn't offended by Jeter nasty F bombs. However I thought they were tacky.

If you curse(I don't), of course you are not going to be offended by an occasional F Bomb on national TV.
jamboy

Postby beebee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:57 pm

jamboy wrote:A raging debate has been going on all over the internet the past few days about the "shock" utterance of the F bomb on live national TV by superstar sprinter Jeter during the running of the womens 4 x 100m at the just concluded Penn Relays.

For a person of her stature, what message is this sending to our kids more notably our young upcoming athletes?

What do you think?

I would request that you recuse yourself from such a ridiculous manufactured concocted scenario particularly considering your obvious Jingoistic pathology. But that of course would be a waste of time. Perhaps the NBC people should be "Sanctioned" in light of the fact that they operate a seven second delay button and could have easily muted Ms. Jeter's non-malicious emotional reaction to an American defeat. Male athletes utter crap like this all the time so I call BS on this pointless fake story

You're nothing more than a pro-Jamaican, anti-American drama queen with an agenda.
Last edited by beebee on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beebee

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:01 pm

beebee wrote:
jamboy wrote:A raging debate has been going on all over the internet the past few days about the "shock" utterance of the F bomb on live national TV by superstar sprinter Jeter during the running of the womens 4 x 100m at the just concluded Penn Relays.

For a person of her stature, what message is this sending to our kids more notably our young upcoming athletes?

What do you think?

I would request that you recuse yourself from such a ridiculous manufactured concocted scenario particularly considering your obvious Jingoistic pathology. But that of course would be a waste of time. Perhaps NBC people should be "Sanctioned" in light of the fact that they operate a seven second and could have easily muted Ms. Jeter's non-malicious emotional reaction to an American defeat. Male athletes utter crap like this all the time so I call BS on this pointless fake story

You're nothing more than a pro-Jamaican, anti-American drama queen with an agenda.

Agenda. No agenda here. Just seeking people's opinion on the issue of our times that affects us and our children.

I am an American and thus, how can I be anti-American?

There is one thing we can agree on. Maybe, NBC should be "sanctioned" as well.

I just report the news circulating on the internet airwaves.. I don't make stuff up.
jamboy

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:05 pm

jamboy wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:
jamboy wrote:
Marlow wrote:Were you personally offended?

Lets stay on topic please.
Thankyou.

Your nationalistic double-standard is very much at the heart of the topic-at-hand.
Grasshopper

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:08 pm

That topic was discussed over and over again.No need to rehash it.
jamboy

Postby ExCoastRanger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Wait -- let me get this straight. Cuss words were uttered in the field of play of a professional sport? Gollygeewhiz. If anybody has an issue it should be with the broadcasters, who usually have enough sense to censor such outburts when they're on the sidelines in other sports.
ExCoastRanger

Postby ATK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Along with that T-shirt, looked to me like Bolt throw out an F bomb right after he took off his shirt after the false start in Daegu.

Considering how influential of an athlete he is, that obviously set the example for all other professional athletes competing today.

Completely relevant and on topic.
ATK

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm

ATK wrote:Along with that T-shirt, looked to me like Bolt throw out an F bomb right after he took off his shirt after the false start in Daegu.

Considering how influential of an athlete he is, that obviously set the example for all other professional athletes competing today.

Completely relevant and on topic.

Well, that is something you are definitely making up now.
jamboy

Postby beebee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Jamboy...this is some weak shit dude. Jeter said a couple of bad words(and didn't direct them at anyone in particular) whoopty do.

And that lame crap "my kids heard her curse" F-ing lol! Trust me man your kids hear worse regularly during lunch and recess at school. And I'm sure they curse under their breath whenever you break out that green yellow and black toilet paper in your bathroom to use during major track meets, lol!
beebee

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 pm

This thread has run its course - let us just drop it, as jammin tried to do two posts (by him) ago.
26mi235

Postby The Klingon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:48 pm

26mi235 wrote:This thread has run its course - let us just drop it, as jammin tried to do two posts (by him) ago.

I agree. Much ado about nothing.
The Klingon

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm

beebee wrote:Jamboy...this is some weak shit dude. Jeter said a couple of bad words(and didn't direct them at anyone in particular) whoopty do.

And that lame crap "my kids heard her curse" F-ing lol! Trust me man your kids hear worse regularly during lunch and recess at school. And I'm sure they curse under their breath whenever you break out that green yellow and black toilet paper in your bathroom to use during major track meets, lol!

You are so disrespectful. Thank god I got some major balls and can ignore you :D

Trying to destroy a legitimate thread about bad behavior by our track stars. How pathetic can some of us be.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:53 pm

The Klingon wrote:
26mi235 wrote:This thread has run its course - let us just drop it, as jammin tried to do two posts (by him) ago.

I agree. Much ado about nothing.

I suspect that USA Track and Field in the coming week will request that she issue an apology and call it a day.
jamboy

Postby beebee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm

jamboy wrote:
beebee wrote:Jamboy...this is some weak shit dude. Jeter said a couple of bad words(and didn't direct them at anyone in particular) whoopty do.

You are so disrespectful. Thank god I got some major balls and can ignore you :D

Trying to destroy a legitimate thread about bad behavior by our track stars. How pathetic can some of us be.

Do you ever curse sir?

This is a failed attempt at yellow journalism.
beebee

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Unbelievable folks around here legitimizing bad behavior.
jamboy

Next