Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby jamboy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Race over 110m hurdles.Riley running out of lane 1. Great race. Great confidence boaster for him.

Great background. Last year, he was the winner of the 100m and the 110m hurdles at the NCAA championships. He is the first and only collegiate athlete to do this in the same championships. He has great speed over the flat 100m(10.02)

Disappointing run by Jamaican Olympic bronzer medalist Parchment. Lost his stride pattern and believe he was only 7th.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:58 pm

It is April, and with the timing and technique of the hurdles it is longer until things click completely. So, do not give up on Parchment; the top hurdlers all seem to think it is a major competitor on the rise.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16337
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby t_monk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:40 am

I'd like to see the race to make a judgement as to what the hell probably went on in this race.
t_monk
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby user4 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:30 am

jamboy wrote:Race over 110m hurdles.Riley running out of lane 1. Great race. Great confidence boaster for him.

Great background. Last year, he was the winner of the 100m and the 110m hurdles at the NCAA championships. He is the first and only collegiate athlete to do this in the same championships. He has great speed over the flat 100m(10.02)

Disappointing run by Jamaican Olympic bronzer medalist Parchment. Lost his stride pattern and believe he was only 7th.


Riley is a very special athlete, I will be following his trajectory closely. It is a real joy to watch this guy.
user4
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby t_monk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:42 am

user4 wrote:
jamboy wrote:Race over 110m hurdles.Riley running out of lane 1. Great race. Great confidence boaster for him.

Great background. Last year, he was the winner of the 100m and the 110m hurdles at the NCAA championships. He is the first and only collegiate athlete to do this in the same championships. He has great speed over the flat 100m(10.02)

Disappointing run by Jamaican Olympic bronzer medalist Parchment. Lost his stride pattern and believe he was only 7th.


Riley is a very special athlete, I will be following his trajectory closely. It is a real joy to watch this guy.


I'm actually under the impression that he'll be (in the end) a better sprint hurdler than the current Olympic Bronze medalist, Hansel Parchment.
t_monk
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby user4 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:51 am

t_monk wrote:
user4 wrote:
Riley is a very special athlete, I will be following his trajectory closely. It is a real joy to watch this guy.


I'm actually under the impression that he'll be (in the end) a better sprint hurdler than the current Olympic Bronze medalist, Hansel Parchment.


With Riley, anything is possible. Id like to see him over 200m and I wouldnt be surprised if he could LJ 8m.
user4
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 am

26mi235 wrote:It is April, and with the timing and technique of the hurdles it is longer until things click completely. So, do not give up on Parchment; the top hurdlers all seem to think it is a major competitor on the rise.


Never said I was giving up on Parchment. In fact, I expect him to win it all come WC in Moscow this summer.This is just a small hiccup on his road to victory in Moscow. Glen Mills will work on his speed and coach Fitz Coleman will work on his hurdle technique. Recipe for success in Moscow.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:03 am

t_monk wrote:
user4 wrote:
jamboy wrote:Race over 110m hurdles.Riley running out of lane 1. Great race. Great confidence boaster for him.

Great background. Last year, he was the winner of the 100m and the 110m hurdles at the NCAA championships. He is the first and only collegiate athlete to do this in the same championships. He has great speed over the flat 100m(10.02)

Disappointing run by Jamaican Olympic bronzer medalist Parchment. Lost his stride pattern and believe he was only 7th.


Riley is a very special athlete, I will be following his trajectory closely. It is a real joy to watch this guy.


I'm actually under the impression that he'll be (in the end) a better sprint hurdler than the current Olympic Bronze medalist, Hansel Parchment.


Only time will tell.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:04 am

user4 wrote:
t_monk wrote:
user4 wrote:
Riley is a very special athlete, I will be following his trajectory closely. It is a real joy to watch this guy.


I'm actually under the impression that he'll be (in the end) a better sprint hurdler than the current Olympic Bronze medalist, Hansel Parchment.


With Riley, anything is possible. Id like to see him over 200m and I wouldnt be surprised if he could LJ 8m.


Don't get crazy now. Jamaica had 4 guys under 20 seconds in the 200m last year(Bolt, Blake, Weir and Young).

Jamaica needs to diversify at the top level and thus, we need to keep Riley in the hurdles.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby user4 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:09 am

jamboy wrote:
user4 wrote:
t_monk wrote:
user4 wrote:
Riley is a very special athlete, I will be following his trajectory closely. It is a real joy to watch this guy.


I'm actually under the impression that he'll be (in the end) a better sprint hurdler than the current Olympic Bronze medalist, Hansel Parchment.


With Riley, anything is possible. Id like to see him over 200m and I wouldnt be surprised if he could LJ 8m.


Don't get crazy now. Jamaica had 4 guys under 20 seconds in the 200m last year(Bolt, Blake, Weir and Young).

Jamaica needs to diversify at the top level and thus, we need to keep Riley in the hurdles.


I certainly wasnt suggesting that he consider a move to the 200m but only that watching a top tier 110h guy throw down a 20 flat for me is as exciting as it gets.
user4
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby t_monk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:25 am

jamboy wrote:
user4 wrote:
t_monk wrote:
user4 wrote:
Riley is a very special athlete, I will be following his trajectory closely. It is a real joy to watch this guy.


I'm actually under the impression that he'll be (in the end) a better sprint hurdler than the current Olympic Bronze medalist, Hansel Parchment.


With Riley, anything is possible. Id like to see him over 200m and I wouldnt be surprised if he could LJ 8m.


Don't get crazy now. Jamaica had 4 guys under 20 seconds in the 200m last year(Bolt, Blake, Weir and Young).

Jamaica needs to diversify at the top level and thus, we need to keep Riley in the hurdles.


Weir was a hurdler in high school and is now a sub-20 runner. We have no 100 time to compare but we can at least assume he was in the 10.0x range last year.

Riley has ran 10.02 over 100m and the NCAA champ last year over that distance... Don't be surprised if Riley (with specific training geared towards the event) runs sub-20 or sub-10 over the 100 or 200 respectively.

As you said I'm not advocating for him to switch but he'd probably be very useful at the event with the right training and coaching
t_monk
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby 18.99s » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:19 am

jamboy wrote:Don't get crazy now. Jamaica had 4 guys under 20 seconds in the 200m last year(Bolt, Blake, Weir and Young).


Jamaica had five guys under 19.90 (add Ashmeade to the 4 you listed).
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 am

Riley will just get so much better over time.

He needs to continue to work on his speed and hurdle technique. His coach is Tonya Buford Bailey.

With a 100m PR of 10.02, if he can get his PR below 10 seconds and continue to refine his hurdle technique, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes world champion in Moscow in August.

Last night I rewatched Aris Merritt's WR race from Brussels last year. It was absolutely amazing. Great technique and extremely fast between the hurdles. That's where I want Andrew Riley to be by August.
Last edited by jamboy on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 am

Riley and Merritt seem like different types of hurdlers. Riley is more of a speed/power guy and AM is fluid/smooth, although I am projecting a bit and am not well-versed in the hurdles.

Given how much a constraint the hurdles are, it is not clear that Riley getting any faster in the 100 will help him with the hurdles except when there is a headwind (especially a big one).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16337
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Jamaican Andrew Riley beats Merritt at Drake Relays

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:50 am

jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Barto and 10 guests