Relay runners that don't run in the final.

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Relay runners that don't run in the final.

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:06 am

How and when do they get their medals presented to them?

It always seems sad to me that they don't stand on the podium.
Last edited by eldanielfire on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

Re: Relay runners that don't run in the final.

Postby gh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:44 am

excellent question!

As to having them on the podium, I have this vague recollection that in the early days of allowing prelim runners (which I consider one of the IAAF's worst decisions ever, by the way, giving such a huge advantage as it does to larger countries.... but I digress) that they did bring them out, but I believe it was decided it only made an already too-long process even longer.
gh

Postby iain » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:29 am

gh wrote:excellent question!

As to having them on the podium, I have this vague recollection that in the early days of allowing prelim runners (which I consider one of the IAAF's worst decisions ever, by the way, giving such a huge advantage as it does to larger countries.... but I digress) that they did bring them out, but I believe it was decided it only made an already too-long process even longer.

It isn't so bad, in swimming they can change the entire team!
iain

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Still, does anybody actually know the answer?
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 am

Anybody? :(
eldanielfire

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 am

It is sort of an interesting question, but why is it so important? I suspect they are just handed to them later. End of story.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:21 am

Conor Dary wrote:It is sort of an interesting question, but why is it so important? I suspect they are just handed to them later. End of story.

I imagine it is important to the athletes. I can't believe in this sport you are implying being on a podium or not when you achieve the greatest prize of any sport isn't important.
eldanielfire

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:32 am

eldanielfire wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:It is sort of an interesting question, but why is it so important? I suspect they are just handed to them later. End of story.

I imagine it is important to the athletes. I can't believe in this sport you are implying being on a podium or not when you achieve the greatest prize of any sport isn't important.

Say what? I am just attempting to answer the question. Frankly for all I know, or care, the medal comes in a box of Cracker Jack.

As for where they get the medals is another matter. Frankly, I am with gh on this. They shouldn't allow substitutions.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Pego » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:41 am

Conor Dary wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Say what? I am just attempting to answer the question. Frankly for all I know, or care, the medal comes in a box of Cracker Jack.

As for where they get the medals is another matter. Frankly, I am with gh on this. They shouldn't allow substitutions.

I'll third that.
Pego

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:20 am

Conor Dary wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

I agree they shouldn't, but that is irrelevant to the question.
eldanielfire

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:26 am

You are not really asking a question, but making a statement. Yes, I am sure they would like to be up on the podium. I am also sure they would like to get knighted by the queen, and all that, but that is the way it is.

I suspect part of it is the track hot shots don't want to make too obvious a point that the big sprint powers have a certain advantage in numbers over the rest of the world. And having 6 dudes/dudettes up on the podium would sort of be rubbing it in.

At least they get to run and travel to the meet.
Conor Dary

Postby bambam » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 am

At the Olympics at least, preliminary relay runners/swimmers did not get medals until 1984. The swimming federation (led by Gary Hall Sr.) started a campaign a couple years ago to get medals awarded to many of the swimming relayers who did not compete in the finals. One of those affected was Betty Mullen Brey (1956), whose son is Mike Brey, former assistant hoops coach at Duke, and head b-ball coach at Notre Dame for the past 12 years or so. Mike got involved to support the proposal, but it has not yet gone anywhere with the IOC.
bambam

Postby gh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:29 am

Much as I'm opposed to the concept of allowing prelim relayists, I'd def. vote for retroactively giving medals to those previous relayers.
gh

Postby valleyrunner » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:48 pm

gh - I side with you on this issue and have always felt our sport needs to present all participants of the relay their medals just as they do in all the other "team" sports like basketball and volleyball. They don't award only the 5 starters on the medal stand in basketball and give others their medals under the stands a few minutes later. There is also the issue in these "team" sports where someone is on the official team roster and doesn't participate in any of the games during the Olympics and still receives a medal. Should those 6 on the "roster" get a medal even if they ended up not running as a nation decided to just run same quartet in trials and finals.
valleyrunner

Postby ATK » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:20 pm

valleyrunner wrote: There is also the issue in these "team" sports where someone is on the official team roster and doesn't participate in any of the games during the Olympics and still receives a medal. Should those 6 on the "roster" get a medal even if they ended up not running as a nation decided to just run same quartet in trials and finals.

Has that ever really occurred in track and field?
ATK

Postby bambam » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:47 pm

ATK wrote:
valleyrunner wrote: There is also the issue in these "team" sports where someone is on the official team roster and doesn't participate in any of the games during the Olympics and still receives a medal. Should those 6 on the "roster" get a medal even if they ended up not running as a nation decided to just run same quartet in trials and finals.

No, in non-team sports, they have to have competed at some time to get a medal. In team sports, the rule changed under Rogge. The Olympic Charter for team sports formerly said you had to have competed at some time, thru Samaranch's era. But Rogge did not like the rule and got the Charter changed so now all players on the roster in team spots get medals, if their team medals.
bambam

Postby ATK » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:21 pm

bambam wrote:
ATK wrote:

No, in non-team sports, they have to have competed at some time to get a medal. In team sports, the rule changed under Rogge. The Olympic Charter for team sports formerly said you had to have competed at some time, thru Samaranch's era. But Rogge did not like the rule and got the Charter changed so now all players on the roster in team spots get medals, if their team medals.

So then this must have happened in track and field before.
ATK

Postby The Klingon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm

eldanielfire wrote:How and when do they get their medals presented to them?

It always seems sad to me that they don't stand on the podium.

I totally agree with this.
The Klingon

Postby The Klingon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

At one time I was against using substitutions in the relays, but I have "evolved" on that issue. :lol:
The Klingon