London Marathon Thread

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: London Marathon Thread

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:51 pm

CookyMonzta wrote: Bad move to send them off after the women.

It is kind of amazing they do that. I don't think I would want to be in a race knowing those guys, going 20+ mph, are coming up behind you. And the guy who knocked her down was definitely at fault. What a chucklehead.

PS. Of course, at they didn't get bitten by their opponent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22242454
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Blues » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:34 pm

26mi235 wrote:Aside from the driving/running aspect he was coming from behind and should be DQed for interfering with another runner from behind. She has no way possible to be looking out for him.

The organizers, hopefully, will recognize their multitude of errors here and correct it for next time.

To be honest, had I been the involved wheelchair athlete, I don't know how I could have avoided the collision in that situation, after a slower athlete changed lanes suddenly and cut right in front of me... I find it hard to blame Josh Cassidy, as long as he wasn't in an area of the course that he wasn't permitted to be in, and since a wheelchair is considerably less maneuverable than a pair of legs are... To me, it seems like the fault should lie with the race organizers for not taking adequate precautions to avoid problems like this.
Blues

Postby JumboElliott » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Don't blame Josh Cassidy, blame the race director. No excuse for this level of stupidity.
JumboElliott

Postby nevetsllim » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:07 am

aaronk wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Just saw the replay of the collision. No one thought that might happen? Pretty idiotic. Hard to fault the runners.

Never been a big fan of the wheelchair people in marathons. More like cycling.

Don't "pedestrians" (runners, in this case!) always have the "right of way"??

Yep, fault goes to the wheelchair "driver"!!

Nobody was to blame. The wheelchair racers always start before the women and nothing like this, to my memory, has ever happened before (although I've somewhat worried something might). It was just unfortunate they happened to meet at the feed station at the same time on a very narrow stretch of the road, which in itself should perhaps be addressed too. If anyone is to blame, it's the race organisers!
Last edited by nevetsllim on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
nevetsllim

Postby John G » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 am

Just read the statements from London Marathon, Gelana and Cassidy on the front page. How fortunate that both athletes both appear to have law degrees and are able to craft such elegantly worded statements!!

And how very reasonable of them not to blame London Marathon in any way. I suspect they have both already been signed up to compete next year for very generous fees.

I know the blame and litigation culture has gone too far but this was an accident waiting to happen - either start the WC race first or give them feed stations on the other side of the road.
John G

Postby portsea57 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:15 am

Don't ever have wheelchairs and runners on the same piece of road, again !
It's as simple as that!
Those wheelchair athletes were not going to stop for anyone.
Call it being in the zone, if you like.
I call it being totally irresponsible!
portsea57

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:45 am

How was it irresponsible? It wasn't his fault that he was forced to play catchup on a bunch of much slower runners.
JumboElliott

Postby bobguild76 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 am

On the high seas, the burden is always with the overtaking vessel. Same in aviation.

The driving imperative in these marathons has been to stagger the start times so as to compress the finish of the various races (men's, women's, m wheelchair, w wheelchair, visually impaired, etc) into a reasonably short time span. That imperative, as we saw in London, impacted another one, namely the safety of the runners.

When a marathon starts the elite women before the elite men, it isn't a problem because runners overtaking runners happens all the time, and the awareness and etiquette are quite natural. However, when it comes to a race that mixes runners with wheelchair racers, we just saw what can happen. Common sense should rule the day ...

1. Start the wheelchairs first.
2. End of story.

The wheelchair racers will finish well before the runners, which means that the tv coverage of the wheelchair finish will take place while the elite women's race is still unfolding. As it is now, the wheelchair finish happens just as the late race surges are being made. I would much rather miss 5 minutes of coverage at the 15 or 20k stage of the race than miss those same 5 minutes at the 30 or 35k stage.
bobguild76

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:33 am

They should just get rid of the wheelchair races and have a race for orphans next year. The Oliver Twist Marathon. They could have gruel at the aid stations.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:18 am

I stand by my contention it was the wheelchair "driver's" fault!!
On any road, in any country (I believe....but not certain of this!), pedestrians.....or those on foot......have the RIGHT OF WAY......against ANY vehicle...whether it's a NASCAR car, a wheelchair made to race, a bicycle from the Tour de France, or even a skateboard propelled by a pimply-faced teenager!!!

He (the wheelchair driver) had the RESPONSIBILITY to avoid hitting a person on foot!
PERIOD!!!

That said, the organizers were IDIOTS for setting up a situation in which such an event MIGHT happen!!

Thus, next year....and anywhere wheelchairs are mixed with runners (or walkers!)....the wheelchairs MUST start first!!

And if they hit anyone.....for ANY reason....they should be disqualified from the race.....just as a runner might be if they cause another runner to be injured, or kept from running their standard race.

Maybe that's harsh.....but a speeding vehicle is a potentially lethal weapon.....and the driver who doesn't know how to use that weapon safely and responsibly....should be held accountable!!
Last edited by aaronk on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronk

Postby kuha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:20 am

bobguild76 wrote:1. Start the wheelchairs first.
2. End of story.

It really is that simple; and nothing else makes any sense at all.
kuha

Postby TN1965 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:39 am

bobguild76 wrote:Ethiopia would have profited by selecting Kebede for the Olympics. Here's hoping they learn from last year's mistake ... although the lure of a Fall marathon might outweigh the WC for Kebede. The WC just doesn't have the weight of an Olympic marathon.

Now that WC is part of the World Marathon Majors, Kebede can clinch his $500K by finishing in the top 4 at the WC. (He has a commanding 24 pt lead over Kipsang.) He won't be getting any appearance fees, but he may get some bonus from his sponsor (as well as the Ethiopian federation/Olympic Committee) if he wins the title. And his future appearance fee will go up with the world title, and so could his shoe contract.
TN1965

Postby lonewolf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 am

Is there a link to a replay of the wheel chair incident?
lonewolf

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 am

lonewolf wrote:Is there a link to a replay of the wheel chair incident?

put london wheelchair collision into Youtube and there you go.
Conor Dary

Postby lonewolf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am

Conor Dary wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Is there a link to a replay of the wheel chair incident?

put london wheelchair collision into Youtube and there you go.

Thanks, Conor
lonewolf

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:10 pm

The whole set of wheelchair contestants were at fault. The are coming up at a speed of about 20mph, the come in on the left side between the aid station and the runners. Now, the wheelchair athletes that cause the actual collision were a bit further back, as was the aid station itself when the first in the line race through on the left. However, there was (almost certainly) an indication that the aid station was coming up and was on the left side.

One problem with having the wheelchair athletes leaving before the women start and them being ahead of the men, in this case by an hour, is that the latter part of the course is active for an even longer period of time.

Still, placing them either on a different part of the course (on the other side of barriers, etc., which might lead to different distances (along the same general route) and hence a slightly altered start and/or finish.

Also, remember that the top women are not at all used (like, it virtually NEVER happens to these athletes) to being past by someone that they were not running with in the last 5, 10, 20 seconds
26mi235

PreviousNext