an ambitious CBS TV schedule for track!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

an ambitious CBS TV schedule for track!

Postby gh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:27 am

How about this 17-meet sequence of 1-hour shows?

May 16—MLK Games, Villanova
May 23—California Relays, Modesto
May 30—Kennedy Games, Berkeley

June 08—Compton Invitational, Los Angeles
June 13—Oregon Invitational, Eugene
June 20—Orange County Invitational, Orange
June 26-27—AAU, Bakersfield

July 04—Women's AAU, Los Angeles
July 8-9—US vs. France, Paris
July 15-16—US vs. West Germany, Stuttgard
July 23-24—US vs. USSR, Leningrad
July 29—DN Galan, Stockholm

August 5-6—Bislett Games, Oslo
August 13—Weltklasse, Cologne
August 19—International, Malmö
August 26—International, Brussels

September 03—International, Warsaw

Oh crap, guess we need a time machine for that one. List pulled from the I March 1970 edition of T&FN.

(none were live though; typical delay of a day domestically, then a few overseas)
gh

Re: an ambitious CBS TV schedule for track!

Postby gh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am

and a special nod to whomever figures out the real reason I posted this list.
gh

Postby MJR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 am

that's then you started w/ t&fn.
MJR

Postby fourjz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:52 am

Wow ! That's going way back.California Relays is now a pretty good High School Meet in So Calif. for last 10 years.Compton Invitational does'nt exist,and the AAU ? :o
fourjz

Postby gh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:10 pm

MJR wrote:that's then you started w/ t&fn.

no, not at all
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Well, the Women's AAU was a one-day meet a week later (on a holiday).

June 26-27—AAU, Bakersfield

July 04—Women's AAU, Los Angeles
26mi235

Postby Bob Duncan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Is it because there is no regular network television coverage this year? I've come to be wholly dependent on the web streams. And I'm still upset that Universal Sports is not included in my current cable package, so I have to either change carriers or miss the entire Diamond League season! :evil:
Bob Duncan

Postby Mighty Favog » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:13 pm

Maybe I've missed something but the only network TV coverage I have on my schedule is Drake and NCAA.

EDIT: those are on cable. No network TV coverage at all this year.
Mighty Favog

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:21 pm

I probably saw all of those meets. It was a wonderful time to be a high school runner.

And those meets were almost all in yards, which of course the public could understand.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Do they really understand how far 880 yards is? Given what directions I get of distances to places that are from 500m to 10,000m away, many do not have a very firm connection with distances and how far they are.
26mi235

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:30 pm

The 1970 MLK games is the one where Keino let Liquori win, right?
JumboElliott

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:Maybe I've missed something but the only network TV coverage I have on my schedule is Drake and NCAA.

EDIT: those are on cable. No network TV coverage at all this year.

Even the BCS bowl games are no longer on network TV.
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 am

26mi235 wrote:Do they really understand how far 880 yards is? Given what directions I get of distances to places that are from 500m to 10,000m away, many do not have a very firm connection with distances and how far they are.

It is not understanding the length, which is irrelevant, as being familiar with what is going on. Quarter mile, half mile, Mile, etc. they may not understand how far that really is, but it is something the public is familiar. No one, except for a few exceptions, uses meters in this country. We might as well started using French speakers as announcers.

Oh, well. All under the bridge.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 am

To me, the real significance were these 10 meets:

July 15-16—US vs. West Germany, Stuttgart

Even if there were a wall-to-wall TV channel dedicated to track, none of these meets would be on it, for the simple reason that they don't exist anymore. And no comparable meet has come along to replace them, generally speaking.

The number of meets with meaning to the U.S. viewer have long ago left us. Sob.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 am

Add in all of the indoor meets gone, LA Times, Mason-Dixon, etc. and well there you are..
Conor Dary

Postby kuha » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 am

Right. It's not just drooling nostalgia to talk about the sport's good old days in the US. In fact, they were really, truly, genuinely good. Overall, there's no comparison now.
kuha

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 am

Maybe it's because I have more time to pay CLOSE attention to T&F......and maybe it's because of my "obsessive" interest in Mary Cain's career...but it seems to me like T&F is NOT dead....or dying....or even in a somnambulant state....in this country this year.
Here's why.....

1. There seem to be more young stars emerging from the high school and college ranks.
2. The indoor season didn't have many big time meets, but the ones we had were damn good.....especially Millrose!!
3. We have VERY personable athletes.....who create headlines, it seems, by merely existing!! We tend to try to downplay their "personality" in favor of their athleticism. We need BOTH!! Let Lolo be Lolo! Let Bolt strut his stuff after (or WHILE!!!) winning! Let Cain charm the dickens out of the media and the fans!! It's all good!!
4. There's going to be 12 days coming up---April 17-28---where we'll see the Kansas, Drake, Mt SAC, and Penn Relays, the Boston Marathon, and the Cardinal meet at Stanford. Prior to the conferences, the national meets, and the WC trials, those 12 days could be THE most exciting 12 days of T&F in this country in all of 2013!! They all have star-studded fields, with many athletes possibly trying for "A" standard performances!! Sit back and enjoy!!
5. Finally, I'm going to take a chance, and sound even MORE "obsessive" of Mary Cain than I've already been.....if that's possible! :oops: But I'm not the only one! In the T&FN article on the USATF, Dave Hunter calls Cain "the sport's new record-breaking darling"!! I agree. Suhr, T Dibaba, Cherry, Lagat, Lomong, Rupp given all due respect, it was Cain who OWNED this indoor season!! And the SIX records were just part of it. It was her charm and exuberance....her personality....that won the hearts of track fans (and many others!!) in Jan, Feb, and March. The sport NEEDS more Mary Cain's!!

The college scene also seemed to have more....or at least, better.....dual meets this spring. I think there were 4 or 5 major ones last week!
The indoor NCAA was a GREAT meet, with loads of top marks. And the outdoor version should be top-notch too!!

We may never see the days of the 60's or 70's in this country again, but things ain't as bad as some think!!
aaronk

Postby gh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 am

the sun is always shining if you cherry-pick the highlights. Those never go away. Fortunately.
gh

Postby kuha » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 am

gh wrote:the sun is always shining if you cherry-pick the highlights. Those never go away. Fortunately.

Exactly. We might as well be excited about what is ACTUALLY happening these days. If our glass is 10% full, so be it; better than 100% empty.
kuha

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:01 am

kuha wrote:
gh wrote:the sun is always shining if you cherry-pick the highlights. Those never go away. Fortunately.

Exactly. We might as well be excited about what is ACTUALLY happening these days. If our glass is 10% full, so be it; better than 100% empty.

Or as the ageing Polly Bergen character said in the old TV show "Commander-in-Chief"......

"I woke up this morning. So it's a good day!" :lol:
aaronk

Postby br » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:06 am

gh wrote:To me, the real significance were these 10 meets:

July 15-16—US vs. West Germany, Stuttgart

Even if there were a wall-to-wall TV channel dedicated to track, none of these meets would be on it, for the simple reason that they don't exist anymore. And no comparable meet has come along to replace them, generally speaking.

The number of meets with meaning to the U.S. viewer have long ago left us. Sob.

I ran in Malmö a couple of times. We would run the meet, then take the ferry over to Copenhagen for an evening blast. I don't believe ferries from Malmo to Copenhagen exist anymore since the Oresund Bridge-Tunnel rail and road route was opened.
br