The 119th Running of The Penn Relays


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby az2004 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 am

I foubd clicking on school I get info

http://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/team.aspx?s=9712
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby az2004 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:24 am

az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby gktrack » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 am

az2004 wrote:long beach poly has a girl with some pedigree running 400 metere hurdleslooks like she'd be better there than 100h
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx3WAKWAhV8

Mark Crear's daughter, didn't realize that. Now a junior, looks like she transferred to Poly from Maranatha (Pasadena), where she ran 14.09/42.46 as a soph. But I could find no marks for this season, not even a relay leg, so I'm wondering where she is timewise, and if she'll be performing some relay duties as well here at Penn, and possibly enhance Poly's chances against some strong Jamaican competition?
gktrack
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby gh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 am

JumboElliott wrote:
gh wrote:If major schools are opting to stay away from the Penn Relays I'm guessing it's because they're no longer finding it to be the great recruiting tool it once was. Although I'm not sure what would have changed in that department, unless it's more efficient recruiting networks that are signing up the bulk of the worthwhile talent before they even have a chance to be wooed at Penn.

It's almost as if the participants are going out of their way to destroy track and field in this country.


I take the opposite tack: the more schools that are somewhere other than Penn the better it is for track in this country. The sport was never healthier than when Penn, Drake & Mt. SAC were all on the same weekend and were about equal in stature.

Those who believe it's not good for the sport to have NCAA/USATF in Eugene so often certainly understand that line of thinking.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby az2004 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:49 am

I am told girls 400 meter hurdles is loaded, and it might take 56 to win with all the talwnt in it
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby fourjz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:40 am

gh wrote:If major schools are opting to stay away from the Penn Relays I'm guessing it's because they're no longer finding it to be the great recruiting tool it once was. Although I'm not sure what would have changed in that department, unless it's more efficient recruiting networks that are signing up the bulk of the worthwhile talent before they even have a chance to be wooed at Penn.


Could be.Have'nt heard that one from coaches.But have heard from more than a few top programs about the lame excuse in my opinion of "can't get any thing done" at Penn. :wink:
fourjz
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Southern California

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby fourjz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 am

gktrack wrote:
az2004 wrote:long beach poly has a girl with some pedigree running 400 metere hurdleslooks like she'd be better there than 100h
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx3WAKWAhV8

Mark Crear's daughter, didn't realize that. Now a junior, looks like she transferred to Poly from Maranatha (Pasadena), where she ran 14.09/42.46 as a soph. But I could find no marks for this season, not even a relay leg, so I'm wondering where she is timewise, and if she'll be performing some relay duties as well here at Penn, and possibly enhance Poly's chances against some strong Jamaican competition?


She got hurt,maybe late last year,or in January.Has'nt been running at all.Entered in Mt.SAC

for the 20th though.We'll see.
fourjz
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Southern California

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:58 pm

gh wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:It's almost as if the participants are going out of their way to destroy track and field in this country.


I take the opposite tack: the more schools that are somewhere other than Penn the better it is for track in this country. The sport was never healthier than when Penn, Drake & Mt. SAC were all on the same weekend and were about equal in stature.

Those who believe it's not good for the sport to have NCAA/USATF in Eugene so often certainly understand that line of thinking.

I don't think creating a smaller meet is all that beneficial. The best thing would be to establish major annual meets that are staples of the sporting calendar that can actually draw a TV audience. A perfect example of this is the Indy 500, which is a good equivalent because IndyCar vastly outperforms its niche in that one race. Track has a hard enough time getting on TV as it is, so I don't see why so many domestic meets need to be right around the same time.

I think wanting to have USATF/NCAA at different places every year is a different story.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby gh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:27 pm

I didn't say make any meet smaller. Penn obviously has no trouble filling its fields. Nor will they should "many" teams go elsewhere.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 pm

I would rather have Penn/Drake have the best quality possible at the top. Every college team that goes to Arkansas is cutting that off and those slots at Penn are going to be be filled with less competitive schools.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby gh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:47 pm

And the largely Jamaican crowd won't care one whit.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby Blues » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:40 pm

gh wrote:And the largely Jamaican crowd won't care one whit.


Maybe that applies to Saturday.. But the college events that are on Thursday and Friday aren't in front of a "largely Jamaican" crowd, and many of the diehards that go those days want to see top collegiate teams perform... Even if the Saturday crowd is 50% Jamaican, there are still plenty of us who'd like to see the best college teams competing against each other, and I think the Saturday Jamaican crowd probably appreciates it more when UTech can beat up on the best US collegiate teams like they did last year....

At least Penn still has major out of area schools like Texas A&M, LSU, Florida State, Michigan, Auburn, Stanford, South Carolina, Clemson, Tennessee, Miami, Mississippi State, and Oregon this year... A few of the major teams who competed last year but seem conspicuously absent this year include Illinois, UCF, Texas Tech, TCU, Texas, Ohio State, and Oklahoma.... :(
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby jamboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:03 pm

On the Saturday, the crown is about 80% pro Jamaican.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Blues wrote:
gh wrote: A few of the major teams who competed last year but seem conspicuously absent this year include Illinois, Texas Tech, TCU, Texas, and Oklahoma....


These are generally schools that I think are more naturally 'Drake' schools (Wisconsin goes there more often than to Penn).

Also, some focus on MtSAC, and Penn is not really a great venue for distance races, which do not get as much focus as other events (hence distance runners go to Stanford, and since they are not going to do two hard, hard races, will only do Stanford.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16337
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby gktrack » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 pm

az2004 wrote:https://www.pennrelaysonline.com/Registration/HSAcceptances.aspx

hs acceptances for penn

are these in order of entry seed/performance?
gktrack
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby Blues » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:27 pm

jamboy wrote:On the Saturday, the crowd is about 80% pro Jamaican.


I think your figure might be a little inflated... From all the years I've attended Penn on Saturday, it doesn't seem that the Jamaican fan attendance is anywhere near as high as 80% if you include all sections of the stadium. Too bad there's not a nationality checkbox on the ticket order forms so we could settle this once and for all. (wink).

Besides all the non-Jamaican track and field and athletic fans who attend, relatives and friends of US athletes attend as well, and the vast majority of athletes competing on Saturday aren't Jamaican. By claiming the Saturday crowd is 80% Jamaican, it would mean that there are only about 10,000 spectators who aren't pro Jamaican in the entire stadium, which definitely isn't the case. And the noise made when a US team wins an international relay is a heck of a lot louder than the noise that a mere 20% of the stadium could make too. The Jamaican fan attendance is obviously significant, but I think that 80% is really stretching it.
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby az2004 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 am

gktrack wrote:
az2004 wrote:https://www.pennrelaysonline.com/Registration/HSAcceptances.aspx

hs acceptances for penn

are these in order of entry seed/performance?



from what I understand these are in order by seed
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby az2004 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:23 am

http://pa.milesplit.com/articles/103638 ... s-carnival

jam girls loaded in discus


Dylan duvvio from la is 17 foot pv

breaheme days is 69 foot shoot usa number 1

Curtis Thompson 214 jav usa nmber 1

cyre virgo 5 11.25 usa 2 in hj
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby TxHottrack » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:57 am

aaronk wrote:I'm sure Penn will be a great meet, as always.
Never attended, but would LOVE to!! (No money for tix, hotel, or travel expenses!)

That said, it appears Drake will give Penn a run for its money....as least so far as having "big names" goes.
NOT saying Penn won't have its share of "big names" too, but this year's edition of Drake SEEMS more loaded with the "BIG" names than it's had before....or at least for a few years!!

Aries Merritt
Jason Richardson
Dawn Harper
Kellie Wells
Lolo Jones
Felix Sanchez
Liguelin Santos
Jeremy Wariner
Jenn Suhr
Renaud Lavillenie
Ryan Whiting
Christian Cantwell
Reese Hoffa
Britney Reese
Jeff Porter
Michael Tinsley
Javier Culson
Johnny Dutch
Morgan Uceny
Jenny Simpson
Shannon Rowbury
and
Mary Cain!!!

I hope BOTH meets shine.....but this year, I'll be focused on Drake.
And the women's 1500 meters!!

(AND all the other events!! But let's face it, last year's Penn HS star, and this year's indoor star.....will be at Drake, not Penn!!)



You forgot to mention Texas women will be there as well! :D Hook em'
TxHottrack
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:29 am

Expect more interest in competing at the facility that will hold the Trials in June - it is not in Philadelphia...
26mi235
 
Posts: 16337
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby az2004 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:42 am

az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby LadyT » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:12 am

So Penn Relays is replacing the USA v. The World women's Sprint Medley Relay with the 4x800! I'm interested to see who will compete for Team USA since there is a lot of talent out there. However, some of that top 800m talent will be at Drake. I would like to see Ajee Wilson on one of those teams.
LadyT
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby aaronk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 am

LadyT wrote:So Penn Relays is replacing the USA v. The World women's Sprint Medley Relay with the 4x800! I'm interested to see who will compete for Team USA since there is a lot of talent out there. However, some of that top 800m talent will be at Drake. I would like to see Ajee Wilson on one of those teams.


Great to hear!
The AR for the women's 4X800 is held by a team from Tennessee, time of 8:17.91.
I would think we could get together a group of gals who can average better than 2:04.48 per 800!!

Heck, a team including high schooler Sabrina Southerland (2:03.59) could get that SOFT record!!
Now, to break 8:00, that's another story!!
But the US has more than 4 sub-2:00 women who might be available...and in shape....to go under 8 minutes!!

BTW, the WR is 7:50.17 by a Russian team!!
That's an average of 1:57.54 per 800!!
Right now, Alysia Montano is the only American to have run that fast!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby KevinM » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:58 am

aaronk wrote:The AR for the women's 4X800 is held by a team from Tennessee, time of 8:17.91.


Does anyone know why this Athletics West team isn’t credited with the AR? From Peter Larsen’s lists at alltime-athletics.com, an AW team of Sue Addison, Lee Arbogast, Mary Slaney, and Chris Gregorek ran 8:17.09 at Mt. SAC in 1983.

BTW, the WR is 7:50.17 by a Russian team!!


The top end of that women's 4x8 list is pretty much a joke.
KevinM
 
Posts: 2652
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby aaronk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:21 am

KevinM wrote:
aaronk wrote:The AR for the women's 4X800 is held by a team from Tennessee, time of 8:17.91.


Does anyone know why this Athletics West team isn’t credited with the AR? From Peter Larsen’s lists at alltime-athletics.com, an AW team of Sue Addison, Lee Arbogast, Mary Slaney, and Chris Gregorek ran 8:17.09 at Mt. SAC in 1983.

BTW, the WR is 7:50.17 by a Russian team!!


The top end of that women's 4x8 list is pretty much a joke.


Have no idea why the AW team's mark is not the AR!
I got the info from the 2012 FAST Annual.
It lists the AR as the Tennessee team's mark.
(Which, for a college team, is stupendous!! Chanelle Price ran 2nd leg of 2:02.45, then Sarah Bowman (Brown) ran 2:03.70, then the anchor leg of Phoebe Wright was 2:02.62!!)

The All Time list in FAST has the AW team's mark in first, with Tennessee second!
I can't see any reason why AW's mark isn't the AR!!

Whatever the case, a time VERY close to 8:00 (or under!!) is possible for our current crop of female 800 runners!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby LadyT » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:20 pm

In order for any team to run close to 8 min, they will need to be pushed. The big question is who is in the line-up and who will the competition be. They will definitely need two US squads and maybe an international squad.
LadyT
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby CookyMonzta » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:09 pm

LadyT wrote:In order for any team to run close to 8 min, they will need to be pushed. The big question is who is in the line-up and who will the competition be. They will definitely need two US squads and maybe an international squad.

Obviously they need Russia and perhaps Kenya (with Jelimo, Jepkosgei and perhaps Langat) there.
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby GDAWG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Since Usain Bolt won't be at the Penn Relays, the biggest non American star there will probably be Kirani James.
GDAWG
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:52 pm

KevinM wrote:
Does anyone know why this Athletics West team isn’t credited with the AR? From Peter Larsen’s lists at alltime-athletics.com, an AW team of Sue Addison, Lee Arbogast, Mary Slaney, and Chris Gregorek ran 8:17.09 at Mt. SAC in 1983.



I wonder if the mark was never submitted for ratification or it's something such as one of the women not being full members of AW or some like situation.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby gktrack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:08 am

Looks like J. Gatlin, R. Bailey, D. Patton expected to be at Penn... all entered in the open 100...
http://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/results.aspx?en=480
gktrack
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby dj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 am

gktrack wrote:Looks like J. Gatlin, R. Bailey, D. Patton expected to be at Penn... all entered in the open 100...
http://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/results.aspx?en=480


Don't expect that to be the case. There are always changes in that race depending on who does and does not run in the USA/World 4x100.

If these three run on either of the two USA teams in the 4x100 (final line-ups not determined until after Friday practice), I'd be surprised if they ran the 100.
dj
 
Posts: 6200
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby norunner » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:57 am

gktrack wrote:Looks like J. Gatlin, R. Bailey, D. Patton expected to be at Penn... all entered in the open 100...
http://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/results.aspx?en=480
How does a guy like Patrick Domogala from Germany (PB 10.39) get into a race with Gatlin, Bailey and Patton at the Penn Relays? Gotta be lots of faster guys there.
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 am

Have the line-ups for the men's 4 X 800 and the DMR been chosen yet?
I'm sure it won't happen, but wouldn't it be great if the following USA teams came to pass (pun intended! :D )?

4 X 800

Jock, Wheating, Symmonds, Solomon.

A sub-7:00 would be possible there!!

DMR (1200, 400, 800, 1600)

Lagat, Wariner, Solomon, Manzano

A sub-9:10 is possible there.
(2:50, 44, 1:44, 3:51=9:09!!)
aaronk
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby jamboy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:23 am

GDAWG wrote:Since Usain Bolt won't be at the Penn Relays, the biggest non American star there will probably be Kirani James.



The fastest woman in the world and two time Olympic 100m champion Shelly Ann Fraser will be there.
jamboy
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby mcgato » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:10 am

Allyson Felix and Sanya Richards-Ross have also been announced as being there.
http://articles.philly.com/2013-04-21/s ... y-carnival
mcgato
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Hoboken

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby iain » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:26 am

aaronk wrote:Have the line-ups for the men's 4 X 800 and the DMR been chosen yet?
I'm sure it won't happen, but wouldn't it be great if the following USA teams came to pass (pun intended! :D )?

4 X 800

Jock, Wheating, Symmonds, Solomon.

A sub-7:00 would be possible there!!

DMR (1200, 400, 800, 1600)

Lagat, Wariner, Solomon, Manzano

A sub-9:10 is possible there.
(2:50, 44, 1:44, 3:51=9:09!!)


The 4x800m is for women
iain
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:50 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby gktrack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 am

dj wrote:
gktrack wrote:Looks like J. Gatlin, R. Bailey, D. Patton expected to be at Penn... all entered in the open 100...
http://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/results.aspx?en=480


Don't expect that to be the case. There are always changes in that race depending on who does and does not run in the USA/World 4x100.

If these three run on either of the two USA teams in the 4x100 (final line-ups not determined until after Friday practice), I'd be surprised if they ran the 100.

Agree - just glad to see some big 100 names for the US at Penn and eventually hoping they will be on on the relays. I can't remember the last time I saw the USA's 100 biggies in an individual event at Penn, never paid much attention to that event I guess.
Last edited by gktrack on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gktrack
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 am

Any American who runs a distance a mile or lower for Nike is likely to be there.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby gktrack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 am

JumboElliott wrote:Any American who runs a distance a mile or lower for Nike is likely to be there.

Didn't USA sweep the USA vs. World relay events last year? I hope you're correct Jumbo that the big names will be there for the US (though maybe not Jeter now)...

Not sure what the time window is for WC's, but don't some of these other nations use Penn to get their A qualifier out of the way ( e.g. Grenada ran on their own last year)? Curious to see who's on the Caribbean team besides K. James.
gktrack
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: The 119th Running of The Penn Relays

Postby Blues » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 am

gktrack wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:Any American who runs a distance a mile or lower for Nike is likely to be there.

Didn't USA sweep the USA vs. World relay events last year? I hope you're correct Jumbo that the big names will be there for the US (though maybe not Jeter now)...

Not sure what the time window is for WC's, but don't some of these other nations use Penn to get their A qualifier out of the way ( e.g. Grenada ran on their own last year)? Curious to see who's on the Caribbean team besides K. James.


Supposedly the entire US gold medal women's 4x100 team from London will be running at Penn. Hopefully Carmelita will still be running. She stated that she's going to practice as usual today, and that it was just a slight cramp on the weekend, so at least at this time there's no indication of a withdrawal.

As far as the men's 4x4 goes, I've seen recent articles that state that Felix Sanchez and Lalonde Gordon will be two of the other members on the Caribbean All Star 4x4 team with Kirani James. There's a team from Trinidad and Tobago on the start list though, so I don't know if Gordon will still run with James and Sanchez on the All Star team if there's a T&T team... (The article I saw that stated that Gordon would be running on the same team as James was from 2 weeks ago in a TrackAlerts article.)
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], donley2, Google [Bot] and 11 guests