Frivals

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Frivals

Postby mump boy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 am

New article in Spikes (on front page)

http://spikes-mag.tumblr.com/post/47109 ... lake-farah

It might be old news but i've never seen this before and it made me LOL(O) :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owFW8V0M ... r_embedded
mump boy

Re: Frivals

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:36 am

That video....."OUCH!" Both funny and painful to watch.

I'm not entire sure if they dislike Lolo or think she is just undeserving of her attention.
eldanielfire

Postby aaronk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:23 am

I believe Harper, Wells, AND Lolo will be in the Drake 100H.....together!!

And I hope LOLO wins!! :P
aaronk

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:41 am

aaronk wrote:I believe Harper, Wells, AND Lolo will be in the Drake 100H.....together!!

It would be funny. I don't get he hate for Lolo Jones. She grew up dirt poor and is making the most of her opportunities and uses her success to help out her community. It's not her fault the media want so much of her in comparison to her fellow track athletes. She would desperately love to get an Olympic medal and I'll have to say was a class act in defeat in Beijing and seemed genuinely surprised when she qualified at the American trials. She may be dippy but she has always been a really nice individual.
eldanielfire

Postby Master Po » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:05 am

eldanielfire wrote:
aaronk wrote:I believe Harper, Wells, AND Lolo will be in the Drake 100H.....together!!

It would be funny. I don't get he hate for Lolo Jones. She grew up dirt poor and is making the most of her opportunities and uses her success to help out her community. It's not her fault the media want so much of her in comparison to her fellow track athletes. She would desperately love to get an Olympic medal and I'll have to say was a class act in defeat in Beijing and seemed genuinely surprised when she qualified at the American trials. She may be dippy but she has always been a really nice individual.

Agree w you. Sometimes, for athletes and fans, I think it can be difficult to disentangle one's reactions to a person and the media attention being given to a person. This one has been discussed a lot on here -- I think (as you suggest, and some others have noted) this one was significantly a media product -- that phenomenon we see over and over where the broadcast media decides to focus its very limited attention on one athlete and make her/him the story, regardless of what actually happens in the competition, and regardless of whether other athletes may or do have equally interesting stories (e.g., Dawn Harper, et al.).
Master Po

Postby lonewolf » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 am

While I admire the talent of elite athletes, I am not into "hero" worship. I am turned off by the antics/attitude of many world class athletes. Others are too blah to care.
The exception is Lolo Jones. I think most people will stipulate to her beauty but I do not know any other world class (and she is world-class) athlete with her combination of honesty, humor and compelling background. She is the one athlete, with whom I have no personal connection, I unabashedly want to win.
Others may have a favorite athlete who does not receive the attention Lolo does but that is not a reason to hate Lolo.
It is not her fault that she is a media darling. Anyone with equal credentials would jump at the opportunity to stay in the public eye while toiling toward that elusive "medal".
lonewolf

Postby mump boy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 am

She is no more beautiful than Dawn or Kelli just whiter and more disposed to using what she does have to her advantage.

It never crossed my mind that people didn't like her, in fact i had commented in the past how amazing she was in interviews connecting with people etc. But last year she crossed a line for me, she came off as contrived, ungracious and attention seeking

Each to their own she has the highest profile of any US athlete and the salary that comes with it but i'll be rooting for Olympic Gold and Silver medallist, Dawn Harper every time
mump boy

Postby aaronk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Is the "frival" between Harper/Wells and Lolo any more a media promotion gimmick than, say, the old media rivalry between Ali and Frazier.......or between the NY Yankees and whichever team feels they're being ignored in the Yankees' shadow??

Let Harper and Wells fight it out with Jones on the TRACK......not in the media!!
aaronk

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:25 pm

aaronk wrote:Is the "frival" between Harper/Wells and Lolo any more a media promotion gimmick than, say, the old media rivalry between Ali and Frazier.......or between the NY Yankees and whichever team feels they're being ignored in the Yankees' shadow??

Let Harper and Wells fight it out with Jones on the TRACK......not in the media!!

Didn't sound as if Harper's beef was particularly made up by the media.
Dutra5

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:00 pm

mump boy wrote:She is no more beautiful than Dawn or Kelli just whiter and more disposed to using what she does have to her advantage.

It never crossed my mind that people didn't like her, in fact i had commented in the past how amazing she was in interviews connecting with people etc. But last year she crossed a line for me, she came off as contrived, ungracious and attention seeking

Each to their own she has the highest profile of any US athlete and the salary that comes with it but i'll be rooting for Olympic Gold and Silver medallist, Dawn Harper every time

I'd argue she is a fair bit more attractive than either of them, whiter or not which I don't think is the issue at all. Attractive or charismatic athletes will always attract more attention.
eldanielfire

Postby aaronk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:06 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:She is no more beautiful than Dawn or Kelli just whiter and more disposed to using what she does have to her advantage.

I'd argue she is a fair bit more attractive than either of them, whiter or not which I don't think is the issue at all. Attractive or charismatic athletes will always attract more attention.

I'd say that Usain Bolt attracts MORE media attention for his flamboyant antics than he does for his WR's or big meet victories!

He, like Lolo, just has more of "IT" than other athletes do....whether they have an equal (or almost equal!!) amount of talent!!

Long live Lolo and Usain!! :D
aaronk

Postby mump boy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:23 pm

you think Usain would get as much attention for his 'antics' if he didn't have medals and records to back it up ?? :?

Lolo has nothing to back it up

I don't begrudge her the attention at all but a little nod from her that there are others more deserving, would go a long way in my book. I'd be rather embarrassed to sit in a press conference having come 3rd and have all the questions aimed at me.

But that's just me
mump boy

Postby aaronk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 pm

mump boy wrote:you think Usain would get as much attention for his 'antics' if he didn't have medals and records to back it up ?? :?

I don't begrudge her the attention at all but a little nod from her that there are others more deserving, would go a long way in my book. I'd be rather embarrassed to sit in a press conference having come 3rd and have all the questions aimed at me.

But that's just me

Obviously, Bolt needed the WR's etc to gain the media attention he has.
(Although what has Paris Hilton ever done that warrants the attention given HER?? :P )

As for Ms Jones, here's some of that "nothing" she has to "back it up":

Her 12.43 PR is equal-14th on the World All Time list!!
While Harper's 12.37 is equal 8th A-T, Wells's 12.48 doesn't make my Top 24 list (12.45 does!).

While Harper is equal-2nd on the USA A-T list, Jones is equal-5th.
Wells is 10th on the US A-T list!!

Indoors, Jones's 7.72 is 3rd A-T in the world!!
Wells's 7.79 is 16th A-T world!
And Harper, apparently, has never run a 60H indoors, or at least doesn't have a time good enough to make the US A-T indoor list (through 24th place, or a time of 7.93.

Sooooo, there's the "nothing" Lolo has!!

(I'm talking times here, not medals won!! But lest we forget, Jones finished 4th in a race she wasn't even supposed to qualify for, let alone make the US team!!)
aaronk

Postby gh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:18 am

mump boy wrote:you think Usain would get as much attention for his 'antics' if he didn't have medals and records to back it up ?? :?

But that's just me

We like the you that posts positive things about the sport itself rather than using the forum as a sounding board for perceived social ills.
gh

Postby batonless relay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 am

mump boy wrote: "...she came off as contrived, ungracious and attention seeking"

Pot meet kettle! :lol:
batonless relay

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm

But that's just me

You mean like when Usain Bolt was beaten by Blake and got more attention for losing than Blake for winning? Or when Usain Bolt false started in 2011 and got more attention than Blake winning the World Championship?

Or in other examples what about the Marathon where Paula Radcliffe gets more attention for losing than whomever the winners was?

The fact is publicity and media attention have never ever had anything to do with deserving it. Medals and records are for winners, media attention is another thing and only loosely related to sporting success. Otherwise how can we explain why David Beckham has been the most well known footballer for a decade while never once being close to the best player on his major teams and never doing anything of note for England.
eldanielfire

Postby no one » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:27 pm

gh wrote:Lolo has nothing to back it up

given, no cigar but - wasn't Lolo one hurdle away from an Olympic gold medal? or does my memory fail
no one

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:27 pm

That gh "quote" is mump instead.
26mi235

Postby nicest person ever » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 pm

eldanielfire wrote:I don't get he hate for Lolo Jones. She grew up dirt poor and is making the most of her opportunities

So did Tony Montana in the movie Scarface, but that didn't automatically make him a great person, lolz.

I definitely "get" the hate for Lolo. In fact, would consider myself to be one of her haters. To me, every time I've seen her on tv, she has come off as:

1. Unintelligent

and

2. Extremely obnoxious, self absorbed, and not very classy at all, and not in a cool Muhammad Ali-ish type of way, but in a lame, cringe-worthy sort of way.

Obvious I realize that it isn't up to her for the media to be more interested in her, for whatever, reason, than they are in her peers who have out-achieved her on the track, that's not her "fault", it's just the way it goes sometimes, and I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with going with the flow in that regard, and gobbling up some of that extra attention that she undeservedly gets over her superior competitors. No. Rather, what bothers me is when she goes, on her own free will, SOOOOOO ridiculously far overboard with it to where she intentionally will spend 20 times as long answering some random minute non track related question as any normal human, even super popular ones like Bolt etc ever would, to such an extent that you can just see it in her vibe and body language that she knows very well what she is doing and is purposely trying to blow her peers out of the press conference by hogging up 99% of the answer-talktime, to where there is very little if any time left for the others to even answer basic questions about the actual race, let alone random inane shit. As well as her complete and utter inability to ever even remotely show any recognition of any of those who, sitting mere feet away from her, just DESTROYED her in the race in question, as well as big championship races in the past, and not even refer to them or how they are great competitors and competition to race against or anything of that sort, even when the discussion gets steered their way, purposely drag it away from ever having to mention any of their names, and just act like basically the biggest "ball hog" for lack of a better word, than I've ever seen in my entire life. Ever. By a reaaaaaally really wide margin.

I dunno, I guess when it comes to "intangibles" or "vibes" that are hard to explain, but "you know it when you see it", there is just something about her that rubs me the wrong way. Definitely one of my least favorite athletes of all time. :evil:
nicest person ever

Postby nicest person ever » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 pm

But that's just me

EXACTLY!

It's not about the fact THAT the media ignores the shit out of the people who just crushed her in a race and also have way better accolades than her. No. Rather, it's that WHEN they do that, she doesn't show ANY amount of tact about it whatsoever. Like, she has the body language and vibe about her when that shit happens where it's almost like she's upset that that effect isn't happening to an even MORE severe degree than it already is, and is frantically trying to exploit that situation as 100 gazillion percent thoroughly as humanly possible, at all costs, even with one of those costs being coming off as a total bitch. It's like, it wouldn't be WRONG of her to not turn away that undeserved attention, by all means, if it's coming, then it's coming. But, it would be nice if she spent like, even just 1 freaking percent of the time duration of when that shit is happening to be like "Ugh... you know, this is getting a little awkward, these are great competitors next to me, who just won olympic gold medals, and beat me fair and square, and you are TOTALLY ignoring them. BUT, given that you are ignoring them, then, I'll answer your questions... since it is what it is... unfair as it may be..." Like, obviously not actually say it in those words, that would be weird, but, I just mean, even just give off the vibe that she acknowledges that fucked up-ness of the situation, rather than act like it is not only not weird/fucked up, but act like it is RIGHTEOUS and divinely fuckin, I dunno, bequeathed upon her, and that if anything they should idolize her even MORE than they are, and not even GLANCE at the people who just destroyed her in the race 10 minutes ago, let alone dare SPEAK to them ever. Ugh.... it's just so gross to watch, you can just see it on her face, and her mannerisms so plain as day, it just makes me cringe so hard...
nicest person ever

Postby gh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 pm

seriously?! you really think you can trash an athlete (or anyone) like that here and still be welcome? Your new handle is "nicest person on the banned list." Try again in a week. And with a new attitude please. As I said a few posts earlier, those who come here merely to spill bile just aren't particularly welcome.
gh

Postby lonewolf » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Thank you, gh.
lonewolf

Postby mump boy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I don't even dislike her particularly, there are just plenty of others i like more after this season.
mump boy

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 pm

She is so 'stupid' that she can almost out-Twitter half of the rest of the T&F athletes by herself. If you think that that is easy, then you have not been trying to do it yourself (and almost certainly failing). It is not 'great art', but it is easily the match for almost anything posted here in terms of it getting attention (for being cleaver, at the least).
26mi235

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:42 pm

26mi235 wrote:She is so 'stupid' that she can almost out-Twitter half of the rest of the T&F athletes by herself. If you think that that is easy, then you have not been trying to do it yourself (and almost certainly failing). It is not 'great art', but it is easily the match for almost anything posted here in terms of it getting attention (for being cleaver, at the least).

Some people aren't that intelligent. Or doesn't come over well on Twitter (who does). Wow, not a great reason to hate somebody. The worst thing is Lolo Jones, may not be that bright but she still conducts herself amazingly well, her response to Harper's and Wells's TV rant was actually amazingly dignified and she still took no digs back at them.

I also take issues with nice person's "Extremely obnoxious, self absorbed, and not very classy at all," and stating it's alright for Ali to be like that. Ali may well be more witty and engaging but that doesn't make it alright for some and not alright for others. It is also wrong to claim she shows no respect to others in the race, she has always been generous in defeat and on occasion she has no obligation to direct every question asked of her to somebody else because it isn't her turn. IMO Harper and Wells came over as jealous and bitter about not having Lolo's media attention and I'm greatly put off by them now having greatly admired them previously, especially give the hurdles they themselves have had to overcome.
eldanielfire