Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby wineturtle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:11 pm

http://running.competitor.com/2013/04/n ... 5000_69019
These varied competitions are aimed at helping Verzbicas realize his goals: competing in the triathlon and running either the 10,000 meters or the marathon at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016

Has anyone ever competed in two different sports at the same OGs?

I'm still overwhelmed by his recovery.
wineturtle
 
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Astoria Queens New York

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby gh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:29 pm

Also in the news... Wilt Chamberlain goes for 25,000, even though he has been dead for a decade!
gh
 
Posts: 46298
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby Master Po » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:52 am

Echoing gh, I don't expect LV actually to do this ... at least if he's talking about competing for USA. Don't see him as one of our top 3 10km or marathoners, whether he is a triathlete or not. However -- as we often see in writing about athletes -- in the posted story, it isn't LV making that statement, at least not quoted directly; it's the writer's statement. Perhaps LV said that, perhaps not; and even if he did utter that statement, we wouldn't know how seriously he meant it. He would know what sort of unlikely scenario that would be.

More important -- I too am amazed by LV's recovery -- happy to see him coming back to health, training, & competition to the point that he can set a very high goal for himself. I hope he is able to be on the triathlon team for Rio.

And to wineturtle's question -- has anyone ever competed in two different sports in the same OG? My guess is that one would have to go far back into OG history. One "sort-of" example would be Thorpe, who in addition to all the T&F/athletics stuff he did in 1912, also competed in a couple of exhibition baseball games. But that of course wasn't participation in a medal sport. I am sure bambam knows the answer to this. :)
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby unclezadok » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:12 am

Johnny Weissmuller won gold medals in both swimming and water polo in the same Olympics, 1924 I believe.
unclezadok
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby Jnathletics » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 am

wineturtle wrote:Has anyone ever competed in two different sports at the same OGs?
.


Someone posted this on Yahoo Answers

it has been done a couple times the first to do so was Aussie Duncan Page in 1964 competed in fencing & modern pentathlon

Peter Macken also of australia competed in fencing in 1968 & modern pentathlon in 1960/64/68/72/76
Jnathletics
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Cross Country Mudville

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby gh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 am

But given that fencing is part of the pentathlon, that's not really "different sports" (and so, in a sense, neither would Verzbicas be)
gh
 
Posts: 46298
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby gh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:32 am

and from deep in the vaults, a Things Not Track thread in which we discussed 2-sporters.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44179
gh
 
Posts: 46298
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 am

LV has as much chance of making the OT in the 10k or marathon, as Powell does in being successful at the 400 i.e. Nil....
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 am

Making the Trials or being successful? Clearly, someone with his age-18 success has a decent chance of making it to the Trials (better pre-injury, though).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:49 am

26mi235 wrote:Making the Trials or being successful? Clearly, someone with his age-18 success has a decent chance of making it to the Trials (better pre-injury, though).


If he wasn't wasting his time with the triathlon I think he would have had an excellent chance to make the team someday and certainly making the Trials. But with all that swimming and cycling? Forget it.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby tyche » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Canadian Carol Montgomery competed in the 2000 Olympic triathlon and was also selected for the 10,000m. She crashed in the tri (broken arm maybe?) and was too injured to run the track race.
tyche
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:29 am

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby mump boy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Olympic Triathlon Champ Alistair Brownlee has a road 10k pb of 29.15, it is not totally out of the bounds of possibility that he could qualify on the UK 10,000m team
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:20 pm

mump boy wrote:Olympic Triathlon Champ Alistair Brownlee has a road 10k pb of 29.15, it is not totally out of the bounds of possibility that he could qualify on the UK 10,000m team


Which is true, and says more about the state of UK distance running, other than One Guy Named Mo, than anything else.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby mump boy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Agreed, we only had 3 under 28 last year, worse than that only 5 under 29 !! which about average for the past few years

Of the 30 Uk men who have broken 28 mins only 5 have done so this century, there were 7 in the 70's :(
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby jjimbojames » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:28 pm

mump boy wrote:Olympic Triathlon Champ Alistair Brownlee has a road 10k pb of 29.15, it is not totally out of the bounds of possibility that he could qualify on the UK 10,000m team

He is aiming to run the 10,000m in the CWG next year
jjimbojames
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:16 am

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bruce3404 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:03 am

Conor Dary wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Making the Trials or being successful? Clearly, someone with his age-18 success has a decent chance of making it to the Trials (better pre-injury, though).


If he wasn't wasting his time with the triathlon I think he would have had an excellent chance to make the team someday and certainly making the Trials. But with all that swimming and cycling? Forget it.


Completely agree. He's painting himself into a corner with the Triathlon.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby KDFINE » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Didn't Gary Gubner almost do it in 1964? I believe he was fourth in the trials shot put and competed in the games weightlifting.
Maybe there was someone who competed in the tug of war and something else?
KDFINE
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby LopenUupunut » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:12 am

KDFINE wrote:Didn't Gary Gubner almost do it in 1964? I believe he was fourth in the trials shot put and competed in the games weightlifting.
Maybe there was someone who competed in the tug of war and something else?
USA's 1908 tug-of-war team consisted entirely of throwers... but Olympic tug-of-war was considered to be part of our sport :)
LopenUupunut
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Sleeping in Finland

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:37 am

bruce3404 wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Making the Trials or being successful? Clearly, someone with his age-18 success has a decent chance of making it to the Trials (better pre-injury, though).


If he wasn't wasting his time with the triathlon I think he would have had an excellent chance to make the team someday and certainly making the Trials. But with all that swimming and cycling? Forget it.


Completely agree. He's painting himself into a corner with the Triathlon.


He ran 15:22 for 3rd in the 29-and-under race!!
This was NOT the elite group!!

Also, Brenda Martinez was first American in the women's elite group over Shannon Rowbury, 15:44 to 16:08.
Will Leer was first American in the men's elite group over David Torrence, 13:36 to 13:42.
aaronk
 
Posts: 3333
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby wamego relays champ » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:18 am

As noted in a story listed on the home page, LV is entered in a 5-mile Turkey Trot on Thursday.

He still is talking about both triathlon and T&F for Rio. While it's easy to scoff at such a notion, one has to admire his determination. It will be interesting to see what his time is, but just the thought of training hard this soon after his spinal injury is mind-boggling.

I raised one eyebrow when I read this quote about his experience at Oregon:
“My running was ‘going backwards’ through dead legs caused by increased training instead of the cross training I was used to,” he said. “As a full time runner I actually got slower and that’s when I realized I needed to swim and bike to be at my best as a runner.”


Interesting theory, but I've never heard of anyone getting slower after training "full-time" as a runner. Maybe he is just such a competitive workhorse that a "light day" is not part of his temperament, and over-training is inevitable unless he mixes it up with swim and bike.

.
wamego relays champ
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby DrJay » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Gotta wonder if those dead legs would have livened up and been faster than ever with tapering for conference, regionals, and NCAAs. I never was a 29:00 10K runner but I've always thought that's part of the program. Train your ass off, feel tired, sluggish, slow, then taper and rest and come the big meets you're bouncing off the walls with an abundance of energy and no way to dissipate it till the Big Day.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5481
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bambam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 pm

unclezadok wrote:Johnny Weissmuller won gold medals in both swimming and water polo in the same Olympics, 1924 I believe.


Two sports at the same Olympics has been done multiple times - see my post on Historical about Winter & Summer Olympics. 128 Olympians have competed in 2 sports at the Olympics. I'll go look up how many did it in the same Olympics.

But it is common that these are related sports - swimming/water polo, or fencing/modern pentathlon being the best examples. In fact, one has to be careful about the definitions of sports here. The IOC does not consider swimming or water polo sports, but rather disciplines within the sport of aquatics. (I'm being serious here).
bambam
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bambam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:53 pm

OK, here goes - 966 Olympians have competed in 2 sports at the Olympics, using the looser definition of sports/disciplines whereby swimming and water polo are separate sports.

Of these, 576 Olympians have competed in 2 sports at the same Olympic Games.

But as Garry pointed out, many of these are related sports - 155 Olympians have competed in 2 distinctly different sports at the same Olympic Games. However, even this needs to be qualified. As you will see from the following list - many of these were athletics/tug-of-war, and in the early Olympics tug-of-war was considered part of athletics. In fact, weightlifting was considered part of athletics in 1904. So even this list needs to be qualified a bit.

Here is the breakdown of the 155 Olympians competing in 2 or more distinctly different sports at the same Olympic Games:

Sports ###
Athletics/Basketball 2
Athletics/Diving/Swimming 1
Athletics/Fencing/Modern Pentathlon 1
Athletics/Fencing/Shooting 1
Athletics/Football 2
Athletics/Gymnastics 15
Athletics/Gymnastics/Shooting/Weightlifting 1
Athletics/Gymnastics/Tug-of-War 2
Athletics/Gymnastics/Weightlifting/Wrestling 2
Athletics/Hockey 3
Athletics/Rugby Football 3
Athletics/Shooting 3
Athletics/Shooting/Tug-of-War 1
Athletics/Swimming 1
Athletics/Tennis 4
Athletics/Tug-of-War 25
Athletics/Tug-of-War/Weightlifting 1
Athletics/Tug-of-War/Wrestling 4
Athletics/Weightlifting 6
Athletics/Wrestling 4
Alpine Skiing/Bobsledding 2
Bobsledding/Curling 1
Bobsledding/Ice Hockey 2
Bobsledding/Ice Hockey/Speedskating 1
Boxing/Diving/Swimming 1
Boxing/Football 1
Boxing/Rowing 1
Boxing/Tug-of-War 1
Croquet/Equestrian Events 1
Cycling/Fencing 2
Cycling/Football 1
Cycling/Gymnastics 1
Cycling/Rowing 2
Cycling/Wrestling 1
Diving/Gymnastics 4
Diving/Gymnastics/Tug-of-War 1
Diving/Modern Pentathlon 1
Diving/Wrestling 1
Equestrian Events/Rowing 1
Fencing/Gymnastics 1
Fencing/Hockey 1
Fencing/Rowing 1
Fencing/Tennis 1
Football/Gymnastics 1
Football/Rowing 2
Football/Tennis 1
Football/Water Polo 1
Golf/Jeu de Paume/Tennis 1
Golf/Tennis 3
Gymnastics/Rowing 1
Gymnastics/Shooting 1
Gymnastics/Swimming 3
Gymnastics/Wrestling 2
Hockey/Tennis 2
Rowing/Shooting 1
Rowing/Swimming/Water Polo 1
Rowing/Water Polo 2
Rugby Football/Tug-of-War 4
Sailing/Tennis 1
Tennis/Weightlifting/Wrestling 1
Tug-of-War/Weightlifting 4
Tug-of-War/Weightlifting/Wrestling 2
Tug-of-War/Wrestling 7
Weightlifting/Wrestling 2
Totals 155
bambam
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:36 am

Could top ranked throwers compete successfully in the weightlifting competitions?
Dave
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bambam » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:38 am

Top throwers & weightlifters -

That used to happen. One poster above pointed out Gary Gubner - top level shot putter and weightlifter in the early 60s, made the 1964 Olympic team as a heavyweight weightlifter. He was 5th at the 1964 Olympic Trials in shot put, won the 1962 AAU shot put, was second at the 1962 NCAAs, and won the 1963-64 NCAAs shot put.

In 1972, Ken Patera made the Olympic team as the super-heavy weightlifter. He was sixth at the 1968 Olympic Trials in shot put and had a PR of 20.10 (65-11 1/2) as a shot putter at BYU, where was third in NCAAs in 1967.
bambam
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby 18.99s » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:23 am

bambam wrote:Here is the breakdown of the 155 Olympians competing in 2 or more distinctly different sports at the same Olympic Games:

Sports ###
Athletics/Basketball 2
Athletics/Diving/Swimming 1
Athletics/Fencing/Modern Pentathlon 1
Athletics/Fencing/Shooting 1
Athletics/Football 2
Athletics/Gymnastics 15
Athletics/Gymnastics/Shooting/Weightlifting 1
Athletics/Gymnastics/Tug-of-War 2
Athletics/Gymnastics/Weightlifting/Wrestling 2
Athletics/Hockey 3
Athletics/Rugby Football 3
Athletics/Shooting 3
Athletics/Shooting/Tug-of-War 1
Athletics/Swimming 1
Athletics/Tennis 4
Athletics/Tug-of-War 25
Athletics/Tug-of-War/Weightlifting 1
Athletics/Tug-of-War/Wrestling 4
Athletics/Weightlifting 6
Athletics/Wrestling 4
Alpine Skiing/Bobsledding 2
Bobsledding/Curling 1
Bobsledding/Ice Hockey 2
Bobsledding/Ice Hockey/Speedskating 1
Boxing/Diving/Swimming 1
Boxing/Football 1
Boxing/Rowing 1
Boxing/Tug-of-War 1
Croquet/Equestrian Events 1
Cycling/Fencing 2
Cycling/Football 1
Cycling/Gymnastics 1
Cycling/Rowing 2
Cycling/Wrestling 1
Diving/Gymnastics 4
Diving/Gymnastics/Tug-of-War 1
Diving/Modern Pentathlon 1
Diving/Wrestling 1
Equestrian Events/Rowing 1
Fencing/Gymnastics 1
Fencing/Hockey 1
Fencing/Rowing 1
Fencing/Tennis 1
Football/Gymnastics 1
Football/Rowing 2
Football/Tennis 1
Football/Water Polo 1
Golf/Jeu de Paume/Tennis 1
Golf/Tennis 3
Gymnastics/Rowing 1
Gymnastics/Shooting 1
Gymnastics/Swimming 3
Gymnastics/Wrestling 2
Hockey/Tennis 2
Rowing/Shooting 1
Rowing/Swimming/Water Polo 1
Rowing/Water Polo 2
Rugby Football/Tug-of-War 4
Sailing/Tennis 1
Tennis/Weightlifting/Wrestling 1
Tug-of-War/Weightlifting 4
Tug-of-War/Weightlifting/Wrestling 2
Tug-of-War/Wrestling 7
Weightlifting/Wrestling 2
Totals 155


How many of those were in the last 50 years?
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bambam » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:17 pm

18.99s wrote:How many of those were in the last 50 years?


I'm gonna pass on querying the database for that one. Suffice to say, your suspicion is correct that it is not very common anymore, especially for distinctly different sports.

Most interesting occurrence of last 30 years or so, although they are related sports, is that of Sheila Taormina - USA swimmer who swam at the 1996 Olympics (gold medal in a relay), then competed in triathlon at the 2000 and 2004 Olympics, and then competed in modern pentathlon at the 2008 Olympics.
bambam
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports, wins in 25:16

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Wins in 25:16. This is like running an 8k XC race in about the same time -- which would be back-of-the-pack [229th at the adidas/Wisconsin Invite].
26mi235
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby Master Po » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:51 am

Appreciate the contributions in this thread, bambam. Lots of interesting data I had no idea about. Among all that, I had never heard of (or completely forgot about) Sheila Taormina ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheila_Taormina

Interesting and impressive athletic career.

And as for Verzbicas, the initial focus of this thread, I am impressed that he has come back so well (actually, I'm impressed he's come back at all). I wish him well in his future athletics pursuits. I don't expect him to compete in athletics/T&F at Rio, but I am happy for his ongoing recovery.

:)
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bambam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:04 am

OK, I was bored so did the search. This is since WWII (1948 Olympics or after), and includes all 2-sport Olympians - I have only listed sport combinations with 2 or more - there were 106 in total, so I was somewhat off on an earlier statement - it has happened a lot since WWII. And by far Athletics/Bobsledding is the most common combination:

ATH/BOB 38
CCS/CYC 7
ATH/BAS 5
ATH/GYM 3
ASK/BOB 2
ASK/LUG 2
ATH/CCS 2
ATH/CYC 2
ATH/WLT 2
BOB/HOK 2
DIV/GYM 2
ROW/SAI 2
bambam
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bambam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:07 am

And here are the 40 ATH/BOB 2-sport Olympians - 2 women, 38 men:

Women
Éva Kürti HUN BOB-2002, ATH-2004.
Olga Fyodorova RUS ATH-2004, BOB-2010.

Men
Paul Narracott AUS ATH-1984, BOB-1992.
Johann Baptist Gudenus AUT BOB-1932/1936, ATH-1936.
Hans Lindner AUT BOB-1984, ATH-1984/1988/1992.
Martin Schützenauer AUT BOB-1992/1994/1998/2002, ATH-1996.
Max Houben BEL ATH-1920, BOB-1928/1932/1936/1948.
Claudinei da Silva BRA ATH-1996/2000, BOB-2006..
Matheus Inocêncio BRA BOB-2002, ATH-2004.
Glenroy Gilbert CAN ATH-1988/1992/1996/2000, BOB-1994.
Lloyd Guss CAN ATH-1984, BOB-1988.
Juraj Grabušić CRO ATH-2004/2008, BOB-2006.
Andraš Haklić CRO ATH-2000/2004/2008, BOB-2010.
Slaven Krajačić CRO ATH-2000, BOB-2006/2010.
Dejan Vojnović CRO ATH-2000, BOB-2006.
Manfred Schumann FRG ATH-1972, BOB-1976.
Marcus Adam GBR ATH-1992, BOB-2002.
Colin Campbell GBR ATH-1968/1972, BOB-1976.
Allyn Condon GBR ATH-2000, BOB-2010.
Phil Harries GBR ATH-1988, BOB-2002.
John Herbert GBR ATH-1984/1988, BOB-1994.
Torsten Voss GDR/GER ATH-1988, BOB-1998.
Miklós Gyulai HUN BOB-1994, ATH-2000.
Zsolt Kürtösi HUN ATH-1996/2000, BOB-2006.
Tamás Margl HUN ATH-2004, BOB-2006.
Terry McHugh IRL ATH-1988/1992/1996/2000, BOB-1992/1998.
Shinji Aoto JPN ATH-1988/1992, BOB-1998.
Miguel Elizondo MEX ATH-1988, BOB-1992.
Gilbert Bessi MON ATH-1988, BOB-1988/1992/1994/1998.
Sébastien Gattuso MON ATH-2004/2008, BOB-2002/2010.
Timothy Beck NED BOB-2002, ATH-2004.
Rob de Wit NED ATH-1988/1992, BOB-1994.
Edy Hubacher SUI ATH-1968, BOB-1972.
Rolf Strittmatter SUI ATH-1980, BOB-1984.
Marcel Lopuchovský SVK ATH-2000, BOB-2010.
Marián Vanderka SVK ATH-2000, BOB-2002.
Runald Beckman SWE ATH-1976, BOB-1980.
Tommy Johansson SWE ATH/BOB-1984.
Roman Hrabaň TCH ATH-1988, BOB-1992.
Willie Davenport USA ATH-1964/1968/1972/1976, BOB-1980.
bambam
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby gh » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:04 pm

slightly tangential, but how about Syl Apps, who was 6th in the Olympic vault and ended up as a hockey pro of Hall Of Fame caliber?

And how about his progeny and cross-sport genes?

from Wiki:

<<His son Syl Apps, Jr. also played in the NHL. His granddaughter Gillian Apps won the Gold medal in both the 2006 Winter Olympics and 2010 Winter Olympics for Canada's Women's Ice Hockey Team, and his grandson Syl Apps III was a college hockey star at Princeton University and played four years in the minor leagues. His grandson Darren Barber won a gold medal at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics in the Men's 8 in rowing.>>
gh
 
Posts: 46298
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bambam » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:17 am

gh wrote:slightly tangential, but how about Syl Apps, who was 6th in the Olympic vault and ended up as a hockey pro of Hall Of Fame caliber?

And how about his progeny and cross-sport genes?

from Wiki:

<<His son Syl Apps, Jr. also played in the NHL. His granddaughter Gillian Apps won the Gold medal in both the 2006 Winter Olympics and 2010 Winter Olympics for Canada's Women's Ice Hockey Team, and his grandson Syl Apps III was a college hockey star at Princeton University and played four years in the minor leagues. His grandson Darren Barber won a gold medal at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics in the Men's 8 in rowing.>>


Correct and excellent analogy. But our database only contains athlete's Olympic performances and Apps never competed at the Olympic in hockey. One of the greatest ever two-sport athletes, however.
bambam
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bambam » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:31 am

Our website bio for Syl Apps:

Syl Apps was the Bobby Orr of his era and was a true “All-Canadian” boy. He was proficient in several sports. As an undergraduate at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Apps won the pole vault at the 1934 British Empire Games. He returned home to lead McMaster to the Canadian intercollegiate football championship, winning the Vanier Trophy. After graduation, he remained an amateur and finished sixth in the pole vault at the 1936 Olympics. He then began his hockey career which was spent entirely as a center with the Toronto Maple Leafs. His all-around ability was supplemented by long hours of extra work and he was an immediate success as rookie-of-the-year in the NHL. He was an excellent skater and stickhandler, centering the DAD Line (Drillon-Apps-Davidson). He played in the NHL from 1936-48, tallying 201 goals in a lower-scoring era, and winning the Calder Trophy (Rookie-of-the-Year) in 1937, and the Lady Byng Trophy in 1942. During his playing career he began forays into the political arena as well. After his retirement, he became a member of the Ontario Legislature and later was a member of the Canadian cabinet, serving as Minister of Correctional Services from 1971-74. He was also inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.
bambam
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby gktrack » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:00 am

Master Po wrote:...And as for Verzbicas, the initial focus of this thread, I am impressed that he has come back so well (actually, I'm impressed he's come back at all). I wish him well in his future athletics pursuits. I don't expect him to compete in athletics/T&F at Rio, but I am happy for his ongoing recovery. :)

Following some local community college results of interest to me, I noticed Lukas Verzbicas ran a 1500/5000 double in San Diego over the weekend, going 3:55.11 for the 1500... His 5000 time was 15 minutes flat. I read he teamed up recently with Alan Webb in some triathlon event, and also may be running the Carlsbad 5000 this coming weekend. Glad to see he's progressing nicely.
gktrack
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Postby bruce3404 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:32 am

I realize these things take time, but neither of those marks would win any decent college dual meet, much less put him in the discussion for making an Olympic team. Seems more like he's just running a few track meets to assist his development in the Triathlon since he has no prayer of making a national track and field team without improving 20 seconds in the 1500 and 90 seconds in the 5000. Nice double for a triathlete, however.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests