Converting an Indoor time to an Outdoor time

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Converting an Indoor time to an Outdoor time

Postby scottmitchell74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Board,
I'm a firefighter with the Abilene Fire Department. I'm stationed at our fitness station. We have developed an Fitness Incentive Program where time off is awarded for reaching certain fitness goals based on Cooper Institute's fitness standards for each age group. My question is this:

Because of West Texas winds and the possibility of rain we are moving our 1.5 mile run from McMurry University's 400m outdoor track to an indoor track at Abilene Christian University that is both 200 meters, and flat. I've come across the USTFCCCA's conversion chart for this

http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/NCAA-Ind ... Charts.pdf

but I don't know which conversion to use. Our track is both undersized, and flat. Even a few seconds are important and can mean the difference between getting 0-12, 12-24, or 24-36 hours off. I would appreciate any insight to this.
Thanks!
scottmitchell74

Re: Converting an Indoor time to an Outdoor time

Postby aaronk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:14 pm

You guys are firefighters....and you're afraid of a little wind and rain??

What wimps!!

:P

(Sorry! Just kidding with you!!)

As to in vs out times....probably based on type of indoor track...how tight the turns, banked or not, etc.
But I'm not a technical expert, so I'll leave that for those who know!!
aaronk

Postby Marlow » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Those are not indoor to outdoor conversions. In a 1.5 mile run, at the speed you guys will be going, a 200 flat track is not a whole lot different than a 400 one. Also, you won't be fighting any wind in any direction, so I'm afraid you're gonna have to go by the straight indoor = outdoor time.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:15 am

Boulder has both a flat 200 meter track and a nice outdoor track. At 5 minute pace I didn't notice much difference. Felt easier indoors, without the wind.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Master Po » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:32 am

Conor Dary wrote:Boulder has both a flat 200 meter track and a nice outdoor track. At 5 minute pace I didn't notice much difference. Felt easier indoors, without the wind.

And I would describe my experience on the tracks of Bloomington exactly as conor does (with me moving a little bit slower...).
Master Po

Postby kuha » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:54 am

Master Po wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Boulder has both a flat 200 meter track and a nice outdoor track. At 5 minute pace I didn't notice much difference. Felt easier indoors, without the wind.

And I would describe my experience on the tracks of Bloomington exactly as conor does (with me moving a little bit slower...).

Conor was using the Way Back Machine for that answer! :lol:
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:08 pm

kuha wrote:
Master Po wrote:

Conor was using the Way Back Machine for that answer! :lol:

Yes, back when Dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

PS. Back in 1984 or so, there was a 6 day race on that indoor track. Some guy did almost 600 miles. I don't remember anyone complaining that it was too small....
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby scottmitchell74 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 pm

I appreciate the replies so far. Thank you very much.

This chart - http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/NCAA-Ind ... Charts.pdf

what is it referencing? Are those just different indoor tracks vs each other?

Thanks again so much. In my years coming here I never stop being impressed.
scottmitchell74

Postby gh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:11 pm

yes, that's conversions among different indoor configurations, nothing to do with outdoor. As somebody said earlier, the speed at which your people will be running, and over a distance that long, just consider in/out the same.

Any fractional slowing that running on a tighter curve (and more of them) is going to induce is almost surely offset by being buffeted by any kind of wind.
gh

Postby scottmitchell74 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks GH, thanks everyone! I knew I'd get some wisdom from you guys.

Now we're off to the races! We do a military style fitness test, push-ups, sit-ups, and a 1.5 mile run. Woo!
scottmitchell74

Postby gh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:14 pm

oh, but wait, there's an in-out pushups conversion chart!

www.inoutpushups.com
gh