Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby norunner » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:59 am

The only halfway credible WR prediction i read this year was from Betty Heidler. She said her goal for this year is 80m. She may have to do it early in the season cause i think others are capable of reaching 80 too. She may end up like Riehm in 78, he threw a WR of 80.32 in august but was beaten by Zaichuk by a month who threw 80.14 in july.
Oh, and i just read Hagos Gebrhiwet wants to attack the 5000m WR this year.
norunner
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby gh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 am

eldanielfire wrote:[....

The idea of the model changing rings true, however a gold medallist in the women's 200m or 400m will surely bring home more case than a non-gold medallist in the 100m.....


When you factor in the difference in appearance fees, the number of meets in which appearance fees will be available and then tack on sponsorship opportunities, and I'm not so sure of that.
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm

gh wrote:They're dreaming.

If Flo's 10.49 was legal, yeah. If not, Shelly has plenty of time (another 2 Olympics, perhaps?) to get close to or break 10.61.
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:29 pm

aaronk wrote:Maybe Mary Cain can fit in a couple of 400's in between her other record-chasing endeavors!! :lol:

For speedwork or for the record? She ain't getting anywhere near Sanya's HSR 50.69; and with the right conditions and the right race (Adidas at Icahn Stadium, perhaps?), Kadecia Baird would pulverize her and come THISCLOSE to 49.xx! What is Mary's 400 PR, anyway?
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 pm

CookyMonzta wrote:
aaronk wrote:Maybe Mary Cain can fit in a couple of 400's in between her other record-chasing endeavors!! :lol:

For speedwork or for the record? She ain't getting anywhere near Sanya's HSR 50.69; and with the right conditions and the right race (Adidas at Icahn Stadium, perhaps?), Kadecia Baird would pulverize her and come THISCLOSE to 49.xx!


I was JOKING!!
See the laughing face??
I wasn't serious!!

I said that because some folks were saying the 400 record wasn't being broken..because no one was TRYING to break it.
So I facetiously suggested that maybe Cain could take a shot at it!!

I fully agree with you, though!!
Cain's best MIGHT be in the 52 range ......some day!!
Baird going 49??
Some day.....yes!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:58 pm

aaronk wrote:
CookyMonzta wrote:
aaronk wrote:Maybe Mary Cain can fit in a couple of 400's in between her other record-chasing endeavors!! :lol:

For speedwork or for the record? She ain't getting anywhere near Sanya's HSR 50.69; and with the right conditions and the right race (Adidas at Icahn Stadium, perhaps?), Kadecia Baird would pulverize her and come THISCLOSE to 49.xx!


I was JOKING!!
See the laughing face??
I wasn't serious!!


I said that because some folks were saying the 400 record wasn't being broken..because no one was TRYING to break it.
So I facetiously suggested that maybe Cain could take a shot at it!!

I fully agree with you, though!!
Cain's best MIGHT be in the 52 range ......some day!!
Baird going 49??
Some day.....yes!

That actually crossed my mind. That's why I asked, "For speedwork or for the record?"
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby Gabriella » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 pm

ATK wrote:[But its hard to compare the 3 events. Can you say .15 .35 and 1.1 (Jeter, Felix, SRR respective times to the WRs) are equivalent or one is easier than the other?


But that 0.15 is as you say the difference between Jeter and the WR. Jeter is not going to be improving now. Had she been in that form when younger, she could have gotten close. Her form, technique and speed maintenance over the last 50m was akin to Flo Jo and it's maintaining speed ove the latter part of the race that is needed to get that WR. I dont think SAFP is capable of that.

No woman has ever broken 21.6 other than Flo Jo and I dont see Felix doing it either. Ottey's 21.66 with a -1.0 wind is worth sub 21.6 and probably the closest anyone will ever get to the WR in real terms. Drechsler's 21.71 with a -0.8 wind is worth mid 21.6's & better than Felix's 21.69 with +1.0 wind. It just seems 'around' 21.6-21.7 is the limit for everyone other than Flo Jo.

The 47.60 is off the radar for every one of the current women. SRR set her PB over 6 years ago and as Rog has said she has had a number of years at the top; she will be on the wane soon. Plus her PB is over one second off the WR, that's a huge amount.

In 1985 Bryzgina ran 22.44, 22.46 & 22.53 in 1985. Koch ran 21.78, 21.90 twice, 22.02, 22.03, 22.19, 22.46 and 10.97 over 100m. SRR's speed is closer to Koch's but it's that maintaining speed that's crucial again.
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby ATK » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Gabriella wrote:
ATK wrote:[But its hard to compare the 3 events. Can you say .15 .35 and 1.1 (Jeter, Felix, SRR respective times to the WRs) are equivalent or one is easier than the other?


But that 0.15 is as you say the difference between Jeter and the WR. Jeter is not going to be improving now. Had she been in that form when younger, she could have gotten close. Her form, technique and speed maintenance over the last 50m was akin to Flo Jo and it's maintaining speed ove the latter part of the race that is needed to get that WR. I dont think SAFP is capable of that.

No woman has ever broken 21.6 other than Flo Jo and I dont see Felix doing it either. Ottey's 21.66 with a -1.0 wind is worth sub 21.6 and probably the closest anyone will ever get to the WR in real terms. Drechsler's 21.71 with a -0.8 wind is worth mid 21.6's & better than Felix's 21.69 with +1.0 wind. It just seems 'around' 21.6-21.7 is the limit for everyone other than Flo Jo.

The 47.60 is off the radar for every one of the current women. SRR set her PB over 6 years ago and as Rog has said she has had a number of years at the top; she will be on the wane soon. Plus her PB is over one second off the WR, that's a huge amount.

In 1985 Bryzgina ran 22.44, 22.46 & 22.53 in 1985. Koch ran 21.78, 21.90 twice, 22.02, 22.03, 22.19, 22.46 and 10.97 over 100m. SRR's speed is closer to Koch's but it's that maintaining speed that's crucial again.

The .15 was just used because Jeter is still active, and still running some of the fastest times ever. We cant really say if she will get faster nor not because even though she is "old" she has really only been competing at such a high level for about 5 years so she dosent have that wear and tear like VCB for example would.

But I pretty much agree with you on all your points. all 3 records are out of reach until a Bolt like female comes around, and even then, that may not be enough.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby fasttrack85 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:17 pm

My thread has taken off without me.

Personally I don't see any of them breaking any records. However watching them try is where all the fun will be at. For me it is not enough for them to just win anymore(been there done that). The fast times is the only thing that will make there races interesting from this point on.

For some reason I see Allyson being able to improve her 200 pr by a decent amount if she continues 100/200 training. Her 21.69 was not run in the best of conditions. It was cold, rainy,wet and she was dealing with the emotional turmoil of the tie with Jenenba Tarmoh that still was left to be solved. On top of that looming over her was the whole notion that she had to win gold in London or else she may never be an olympic gold medalist in an individual event. Now she can just run with a free spirit. Those long elegant strides may yet see her all the way down to around 21.50 flat however I think getting over that hump into 21.4 or 21.3 might be a bit over her head until she takes a visit to Victor Conte.

I think Shelly on a good day can prob run a 10.5x high and that would be the true world record but not the official one. If she has a solid start and continues her 200 training all the pieces will come together. She ran 10.75 in London with a very average start( VCB got out way ahead of her and she might have been a little behind Jeter and Madison). She ran 10.73(0.1) with little wind and no 200 training. She also ran 10.70 on a track that is not as fast as many of the international tracks. There is def some upside for her considering she is only 26 and is probably entering peak years around now.

Sanya I am not sure what to make of her. Statistically 2012 should have been her fastest year. Her 200 meter was solid last year so she should have been worth about 48.50 however she didn't even go 49 flat much less sub 49. Sanyas issue is that she has not mastered pacing and probably never will. If Ohurugu or Monthso had her speed they would be sub 49 everytime they step on the track. On the other hand if Krivoshapka had her speed she would be sub 49 as well because she literally runs within an inch of her life but uses up all her speed reserve by around 300. It will just be interesting to see the numbers she drops when she runs for times and not for wins.
fasttrack85
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Well i think that WR 10.61 is possible.
10.49 in my opinion is impossible directly hehe, but we know that that time is not "real" was with big hurricane :lol:
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby Speedster » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:09 am

Perhaps all the talk is for column inches and PR, rather than any actual chance at reaching those times in the future. WR talk is so common in the men's sprints that perhaps the women need to get in on the act to gain some profile? Truth is die hard fans no there is little chance for all three to approach the records, but perhaps the general population's interest will be sparked, achieving the desired result.
Speedster
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: London

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 am

Speedster wrote:Perhaps all the talk is for column inches and PR, rather than any actual chance at reaching those times in the future. WR talk is so common in the men's sprints that perhaps the women need to get in on the act to gain some profile? Truth is die hard fans no there is little chance for all three to approach the records, but perhaps the general population's interest will be sparked, achieving the desired result.


GREAT analysis!!

And this goes for ALL events in T&F!!

If an athlete...or athletes...hypes a WR attempt enough, the crowd will pay to see it, right??

But what happens when most, if not all, of those advertised WR attempts FAIL??
Or worse yet, the athlete doesn't even TRY!!

Best (or worst???) example of the latter was Mo Farah saying he wanted to break the British 2 mile record (outdoors) of 8:13.5.
He'd do it at the Birmingham meet, he said.
(Or was that Dublin?? Cant remember!)

Anyway, he never even tries....and runs something like 8:42.

So the paying crowd, expecting a WR attempt....go home feeling they've been had!!

It's the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome!!

Bottom line: If you SAY you're going to try for a WR...then TRY!!!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GeorgiaFan1, gktrack, nbonaddio, rainy.here, sjm1368 and 9 guests