regina george 2:03.79 for 800


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

regina george 2:03.79 for 800

Postby doug5321 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 am

arkansas 400 runner ran a good 800 in 2:03.79 winning by 6 seconds, maybe she has potential in the 800.
doug5321
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: regina george 2:03.79 for 800

Postby batonless relay » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:09 pm

She definitely has potential as an 800m runner, many of the "best" 400m runners do but they choose never to move up. Monique Hennagan, 2004 Olympic Trials winner at 400m, won the 800m at NCAAs 8 years prior while doubling (she was 4th in the 400m).

The problem is that you're considered "good" when you run sub-2:00 when the good number should actually be sub-1:57 (I just don't think the women train hard enough, or believe enough, to run where they "should"). The 400m is underachiever territory as well. There should be more sub-50's and sub-49's.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: regina george 2:03.79 for 800

Postby aaronk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

batonless relay wrote:She definitely has potential as an 800m runner, many of the "best" 400m runners do but they choose never to move up. Monique Hennagan, 2004 Olympic Trials winner at 400m, won the 800m at NCAAs 8 years prior while doubling (she was 4th in the 400m).

The problem is that you're considered "good" when you run sub-2:00 when the good number should actually be sub-1:57 (I just don't think the women train hard enough, or believe enough, to run where they "should"). The 400m is underachiever territory as well. There should be more sub-50's and sub-49's.


I posted George's time in the "Outdoor Results" thread.
But I totally agree with you!
I hold to the theory that a woman's slowdown per 400 in an 800 should be 6 or 7 seconds.
In other words, if a woman runs 50.0, she's capable of running 1:52.0 to 1:54.0 over 800.
Not saying she WILL....just saying it's POSSIBLE!!

I base this theory on the psychology used in an athlete's thinking.
If you've run 52 or 53, you would lack the confidence to go out in 54 or 55 in an 800.
Too close to your PR.
But if you've run 50.0, then a 54 or 55 first lap would SEEM (psychologically speaking) somewhat easier, and give you the confidence to think you could run a 58 or so the last lap..

As to 2:00 being considered "good"....it IS.....in the United States.
1:57 is considered "good" in Russia and other places.

Regina George, based on her present 51.05 PR, SHOULD be capable (based on my theory) of an 800 in 1:54.10 to 1:56:10..
And btw, she's entered in the 800 at the Texas Relays!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: regina george 2:03.79 for 800

Postby norunner » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 pm

aaronk wrote:

I hold to the theory that a woman's slowdown per 400 in an 800 should be 6 or 7 seconds.
In other words, if a woman runs 50.0, she's capable of running 1:52.0 to 1:54.0 over 800.
Not saying she WILL....just saying it's POSSIBLE!!
So you're saying Kratochvilova was a lame duck because her 400m best was 47.99 so she should have been able to run 1:48 to 1:50 over 800 while her WR is "only" 1:53?
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: regina george 2:03.79 for 800

Postby aaronk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:48 pm

norunner wrote:
aaronk wrote:

I hold to the theory that a woman's slowdown per 400 in an 800 should be 6 or 7 seconds.
In other words, if a woman runs 50.0, she's capable of running 1:52.0 to 1:54.0 over 800.
Not saying she WILL....just saying it's POSSIBLE!!
So you're saying Kratochvilova was a lame duck because her 400m best was 47.99 so she should have been able to run 1:48 to 1:50 over 800 while her WR is "only" 1:53?


Look, I've argued (discussed! :) ) this point on other threads here, and been beaten down for it.
But, hypothetically speaking, it SHOULD be possible for a PERSON--man or woman--properly trained, to adhere to my "slowdown rate theory".
The Big K wasn't an 800 specialist throughout her career, I don't think.
Wasn't she more a 200-400 person?
Given more 800 training, and several more races, maybe she COULD have improved to 1:52, or even 1:51.
Let me amend what I said before.
For MEN, the slowdown is between 5 and 7 seconds.
For WOMEN, since they're a few seconds slower in general, I'd give them a 7 to 9 second slowdown.
So, again speaking of Regina George, given more 800 training and more races, she COULD run between 1:56 and 2:00.
According to FAST Annual, she's run 800's before, her PR being a 2:09 from 2010. (Don't know if she ran any last year.)
So her 2:03 was a BIG improvement. And she's going to run an 800 at the TX Relays.
So maybe she's heading toward being an 800 person??
If so, and if this is not just a couple of 800's before returning to the 400, then yes, she COULD break 2:00, and go well under that!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: regina george 2:03.79 for 800

Postby doug5321 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:04 pm

at the end of this article frank horwill list the best 400 times for top 800 runners.
http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/advice_frank52.html
1. rick wohlhuter's 800 time is 2 x his 400 time plus 3.5 seconds per lap, wohlhuter converts better than anyone on this list.
3.quantorena's best 800 is 2 x his best 400 plus 7.5 seconds per lap, quantorena converts worse than anyone on this list.

getting back to regina george if she converts like wohlhuter her 800 time could be 51 x 2 plus 3.5 per lap = 1:49
if she converts like quantorena 51 x 2 plus 7.5 per lap = 1:56

in the marathon women the to convert their shorter distance times to marathon times, example if a man and women have the same 5/10k times the women will usually be faster in the marathon (there could be other factor than physiology example men usually being more aggressive may go out harder than they are capable of running the whole way at.

is there a reason women would convert better or worse than men????

i have always thought if 400 runners 45 for men, 51 for women took a few years to seriously train for 800, than the 800 as an event would produce incredible results.
doug5321
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: regina george 2:03.79 for 800

Postby AS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 pm

She only needs to improve 1.75s to break her nation's record (remembering she took Nigerian nationality in mid-2012)

NGR record: 2:02.04 Grace Ebor 15 October 2003
AS
 
Posts: 4503
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: regina george 2:03.79 for 800

Postby Sasuke » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:12 am

Many 400 metres runners would be capable of clocking good times on the double distance, the problem occurs when they try to step up in distance gaining nothing.
I'll explain better: a 400 metres runner is not a middle distance one but a long sprinter... speed is his best skill. If he decides to devote a large part of his training to long runs and distance and to decrease his training regarding speed and strength he won't go anywhere!
I'll post two italian examples (because they are 400 metres runners who moved up): Marta Milani and Daniela Reina. The first one clocked 51.87 in 2010, 51.86 and 2.01.50 in 2011... then she decided to move up: the results were 53.30 and 2.01.35 the year later. The second one has a big personal record of 51.18... while training for the one lap event she clocked 2.01.27... then she devotes herself to 800 and obtained a 2.01.09 the year later but... her 400 was only 53.14... then she did nothing (last year 57 and 2.07). If a sprinter wants to specialize in the 800 metres he must not forget which his best skills are.
Sasuke
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 26mi235, Bing [Bot], KDFINE and 9 guests