Eaton 66.64 (218'8") Javelin in San Luis Obispo

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Eaton 66.64 (218'8") Javelin in San Luis Obispo

Postby olorin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Dave wrote:
gktrack wrote:From here, Eaton's on to P. Jordan/Stanford next week to PV and Discus... CA has been good to/for him.

Any speculation about what to expect from him? Has he put all of his efforts into improving the throws?

Eaton with somewhat disappointing result:
He jumped 4.90 in the PV (he skipped 5.05 and failed three times in 5.20)
He decided not to compete in the DT
Hopefully no injury behind his decision
olorin

Postby Jackaloupe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Here's my Post from US Multis Thread:

What a disappointment at Stanford: Eaton not only passed on the Discus altogether, but elected to pass 5.05, then miss 5.20, ending up w/ 4.90, a full 1 1/2 ft. below PR (5.30). While it made a certain sense in the context of the competition, it's perplexing in terms of the apparent "controlled workout" approach of these selective competitions.

Finals
1 Levi Keller Club Northwest 5.30m 17-04.50
4.45 4.60 4.75 4.90 5.05 5.20 5.30 5.50
P P P P P XXO XO XXX
2 Kasey Burlingham Azpva 5.20m 17-00.75
4.45 4.60 4.75 4.90 5.05 5.20 5.30
P P P XO O O XXX
3 Ashton Eaton Nike Otc Elite 4.90m 16-00.75
4.45 4.60 4.75 4.90 5.05 5.20
P P P XO P XXX

Makesya wonder if something came up, or maybe it was the schedule.
Jackaloupe

Postby tm71 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 pm

i think we are forgeting this is only in the spring. if he is peaking properly and stays healthy, he will destroy his WR. lets also hope that he gets some decent conditions in the meets he competes in.
tm71

Postby olorin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 pm

tm71 wrote:i think we are forgeting this is only in the spring. if he is peaking properly and stays healthy, he will destroy his WR. lets also hope that he gets some decent conditions in the meets he competes in.

Eaton's season is likely to be different from other top athletes. Most of the American athletes try to pick in June (for the national trials) and then again in August. Eaton is likely to try to pick in Gotizs less than a month from now. If this is true then early season results are more important for Eaton than for other athletes.
Having said that yesterday's below par results for Eaton are not a reason for concern. Even Eaton may have an off day in a minor meet. The only worry is if the results are due to some kind of injury that will affect his preparation for Gotizs.
olorin

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:55 am

I wasn't even suggesting he'd had an "off day", but wondering why he'd passed on the long-planned Discus (having already chalked up PRs in Jav & SP at similar carefully chosen small meets); and noting that a pass, in PV of a full foot (490 to 520) is not exactly replicating Decathlon competition. It's safe to say he would've cleared that passed 505, or even 17 ft., hardly sub-par.
Maybe he just felt like competing; after all, wasn't there some conjecture about a Pole Vaulting future--once the Decathlon WR has been suitably demolished.
Jackaloupe

Postby bruce3404 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:09 am

olorin wrote:
tm71 wrote:i think we are forgeting this is only in the spring. if he is peaking properly and stays healthy, he will destroy his WR. lets also hope that he gets some decent conditions in the meets he competes in.

Eaton's season is likely to be different from other top athletes. Most of the American athletes try to pick in June (for the national trials) and then again in August. Eaton is likely to try to pick in Gotizs less than a month from now. If this is true then early season results are more important for Eaton than for other athletes.

While Gotzis is a huge meet for multi athletes and their fans, I don't at all see Eaton working towards peaking at a meet that's pretty far off the radar for the average sports fan. This isn't to say he won't win, but the single peak for the season has to be Moscow. My guess is that, if healthy, he'll score around 8750, which should be good enough to win at Gotzis since I don't expect Hardee to be in top form that early.
bruce3404

Postby olorin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 am

bruce3404 wrote:While Gotzis is a huge meet for multi athletes and their fans, I don't at all see Eaton working towards peaking at a meet that's pretty far off the radar for the average sports fan. This isn't to say he won't win, but the single peak for the season has to be Moscow. My guess is that, if healthy, he'll score around 8750, which should be good enough to win at Gotzis since I don't expect Hardee to be in top form that early.

After losing in Deagu Eaton said in few interviews that his biggest mistake was that he came to the WC aiming for a high score rather than aiming for a gold medal. He said that this frame of mind added pressure and once he failed (after the LJ) he was unable to re-focus on winning the competition.
Before London Eaton stated few times that his goal in London was to win the gold and not another WR.
Following this logic I think that it is unlikely that Eaton will try for a big score in Moscow but rather in Gotizs or in Des Moines. Of the two Gotizs seems like the better bet as losing there will only cost Eaton some pride rather than the possibility of not making the American team. So I think that Eaton strategy will be to try for a big score in Gotizs and then ensure qualification in Des Moines.
There are two other reasons to support my "Gotizs theory". First, Eaton early form is already close to his pick in most events (and three PBs) suggesting that Gotizs is the probable target. Second, there is a good chance that for the first time in my life I will come to the States to watch the competition. I think that giving my luck with these things it is only fitting that Eaton will be at his best in Gotizs rather than in Des Moines.
olorin

Postby TimRoy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:25 am

Anyone else planning to be in Gotzis? I'll be there, and would be happy to say hello to fellow multi-event enthusiasts met through this message board. It should be a great competition, as always.
TimRoy

Postby bruce3404 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:11 am

olorin wrote:
bruce3404 wrote:
Following this logic I think that it is unlikely that Eaton will try for a big score in Moscow but rather in Gotizs or in Des Moines. Of the two Gotizs seems like the better bet as losing there will only cost Eaton some pride rather than the possibility of not making the American team. So I think that Eaton strategy will be to try for a big score in Gotizs and then ensure qualification in Des Moines.
There are two other reasons to support my "Gotizs theory". First, Eaton early form is already close to his pick in most events (and three PBs) suggesting that Gotizs is the probable target. Second, there is a good chance that for the first time in my life I will come to the States to watch the competition. I think that giving my luck with these things it is only fitting that Eaton will be at his best in Gotizs rather than in Des Moines.

I don't at all expect Eaton to be at a peak level for Des Moines. He'll have no competition! Hardee only has to "show fitness", meaning he can run the 100 and then quit and there's no one else expected to score even 8300. Like yourself, however, I have no clear idea what his intentions are and whatever they are, it'll be fun to watch. Let us know if you'll be coming to Des Moines. There will most likely only be a hard core of a couple hundred of us who watch the entire competition.
bruce3404

Previous