Moscow World Champs App???

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Moscow World Champs App???

Postby Flumpy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:12 am

I've just been asked for some feedback about a potential World Champs app that's being developed. As I know nothing about this kind of this thought you lot might have some ideas.

A few questions below. If anyone could take a couple of minute to answer would be much appreciated.

What functions and content would be essential for you to see in a Moscow World Championships mobile app
• What would you love to have in it if it were possible?
• Has there ever been a sporting event mobile app that you thought was excellent?
• What made it so good?
• What could have made it better?
Flumpy

Re: Moscow World Champs App???

Postby polevaultpower » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:41 am

I would love live field event updates. I live for the Xs and Os. ;)
polevaultpower

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:12 am

Flumpy wrote:I've just been asked for some feedback about a potential World Champs app that's being developed. As I know nothing about this kind of this thought you lot might have some ideas.

A few questions below. If anyone could take a couple of minute to answer would be much appreciated.

What functions and content would be essential for you to see in a Moscow World Championships mobile app
• What would you love to have in it if it were possible?
• Has there ever been a sporting event mobile app that you thought was excellent?
• What made it so good?
• What could have made it better?

1) Easy to follow updates for the events you want to hear about. Start lists, results, qualifications and times/distances. Updated as instantly as possible. Oh and previews.

2) Nope.

3) Lack what I wanted in point one wasn't particularly effective/
eldanielfire

Postby norunner » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Anything that gets sent to the mobile automatically (like breaking news) needs to be optional, meaning you can switch it off. A few months ago i installed the app of a big newspaper and they had this breaking news feature, problem was, stuff like the sex of Kate's baby and similar "news" was considered important, so i tried to shut that newsservice off, not possible. I ended up removing the app because it became too annoying.
norunner

Postby gm » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:58 pm

I really like the European Athletics app. If a Moscow app could be modeled on that, with the additional option of live results with series, or at least include series/progressions in the results, I would be ecstatic.

The EAA app has a clean presentation of news, a great athlete section with stat bios, and other goodies.
gm

Postby vencio2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:11 am

In the longer distance track races and road races you get instant splits for the leaders that flash up on the bottom of the tv screen ..... have that fed into the app :)

Results, current seasons best --- anything that enables me not to have to visit the IAAF site :lol:
vencio2

Postby iain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:43 am

vencio2 wrote:In the longer distance track races and road races you get instant splits for the leaders that flash up on the bottom of the tv screen ..... have that fed into the app :)

Results, current seasons best --- anything that enables me not to have to visit the IAAF site :lol:

And RELAY SPLITS!
iain

Postby Flumpy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:07 am

Thaks guys. All really helpful.
Flumpy

Postby bruce3404 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 am

Very short (200 characters or less) bios of the runners on the start lists which might include individual PRs as well as seasonal bests). As has been previously mentioned, live field updates are a huge plus and, of course, close to instantaneous running event results are great and if you could create a program with moving bubble times for the preliminary rounds, that would also save me some tabulating. I also like to see meet records, stadium records and world records above the start lists. Finally, would also be nice to have a built in metric calculator. I currently have one on my phone, but would be nice to not have to switch back and forth between apps.
bruce3404