Jamaica High School Track and Field Championships

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Jamaica High School Track and Field Championships

Postby zidan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Not sure if the height of the hurdles in class one is the same as is on the international level. If so then thats the performance of the championship so far!
zidan

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:16 pm

zidan wrote:Not sure if the height of the hurdles in class one is the same as is on the international level. If so then thats the performance of the championship so far!

Commentator mentioned that the high school hurdles are "slightly less" high than those on the international level.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Records are dropping like flies at this championships. 27 meet records have been broken in the past 5 days. Unbelievable.

Never before in the history of "Champs" have so many records being broken. Just great.
jamboy

Postby 18.99s » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:24 pm

zidan wrote:Not sure if the height of the hurdles in class one is the same as is on the international level. If so then thats the performance of the championship so far!

It's 39 inches, same as the US high school and world junior height but 3 inches below the Olympic men's height.
18.99s

Postby starboyunlimited » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Delano Williams Scorching Anchor leg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2KXtOq0LIM
starboyunlimited

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:33 pm

Those three inches are a big deal; it seems like US high school hurdlers lose about a half a second, but Marlow could be more accurate on the differential.
26mi235

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:34 pm

jamboy wrote:Live streaming link has crashed. Servers are probably overloaded from the thousands worldwide watching.

You can still listen to it on the radio
http://radiohitz92fm.com/live.php

Last year, the live streaming metrics from Sportsmax showed that about 100,000 people world wide logged on from 127 different countries to watch Champs live from Jamaica. No other high school track and field championship in the world comes close to "Champs"
Last edited by jamboy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:10 pm

28 records have gone so far. 16 so far today.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Two main events left. Boys and Girls 4 x 400m open.

Should be fantastic.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Interview with US Track Scout in Jamaica for champs
Travis Geopfert - Asst. Track Coach, University Of Arkansas

http://www.televisionjamaica.com/Progra ... deos/24974
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:48 pm

One more record. Up to 29 championship records now.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Another record. 30 records broken in this championships. The most ever.

Delano Williams ran a blistering anchor leg for his Munro team to win in a new championship 4 x 400m record of 3.09.21. Hope to see him and his teammates soon at Penn Relays in Philly at the end of April. They won it at Penns last year.

His anchor leg was timed in 45.7.

Calabar wins the boys HS championships. Holmwood HS wins the girls section

The 2013 edition of Champs was the best ever.
jamboy

Postby zidan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Wow! it has to be a dream. so many records. Unreal! I am not sure what or who is the performance/performer of the meet. crazy man!
zidan

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:11 pm

jamboy

Postby 18.99s » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:20 pm

The girls 4x400 record is insane. 3:30.51 by Vere, which is 5 seconds better than the US high school record, and faster than a few national teams in the Olympics last year.
18.99s

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:23 pm

18.99s wrote:The girls 4x400 record is insane. 3:30.51 by Vere, which is 5 seconds better than the US high school record, and faster than a few national teams in the Olympics last year.

Here is the race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuAJbvLHUYk
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Video of Delano Williams amazing 44.8 anchor leg run at the Gibson Relays at the end of February.
I believe that when he goes to the Racers Track Club later this year(training with Bolt/Blake), his best events will be the 200/400m.

He has a very bright future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Hqtb_q8wM
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Boys 4 x 400m with Munro winning anchored by Delano Willaims. Amazing anchor leg for his third race of the day. Earlier today, won the 200m, anchored his team to a silver in the 4 x 100m and now a anchoring his team to a 4 x 400m win. He would be a dream for every US collegiate scout in Jamaica right now. Unfortunately, he will be staying right in Jamaica to train with Bolt/Blake which is the best decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib4oE0uK1zQ
Last edited by jamboy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby starboyunlimited » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:40 pm

jamboy wrote:Another record. 30 records broken in this championships. The most ever.

Delano Williams ran a blistering anchor leg for his Munro team to win in a new championship 4 x 400m record of 3.09.21. Hope to see him and his teammates soon at Penn Relays in Philly at the end of April. They won it at Penns last year.

His anchor leg was timed in 45.7.

Calabar wins the boys HS championships. Holmwood HS wins the girls section

The 2013 edition of Champs was the best ever.

Delano Williams ran a blistering anchor leg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiUBn-RmVPU
starboyunlimited

Postby jamboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:59 pm

cullman wrote:A CBC news piece from last year with a fair bit on the Jamaica High School Track & Field Championships.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Shows/ ... 263345283/

This is an excellent report of what champs is really like. No place else in the world can compare to the champs experience.
jamboy

Postby DentyCracker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 pm

My head is still spinning from all the records that fell today. Driving home I was still unable to digest it all. We were starting to doubt the validity of the times until Hubert Lawrence showed us his times that he had taken. Those records are legit. I believe the shorter interval between Gibson and Champs has a lot to do with all those records
DentyCracker

Postby shivfan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:40 am

Congrats to Calabar and Holmwood on late surges to win the Boys and Girls titles respectively....

My alma mater, Jamaica College, finished second.
8-)
shivfan

Postby 18.99s » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:13 am

I can't understand how a skinny guy like Dacres can throw that far. He has a lanky build like Kevin Durant, but won both the discus and shot put this weekend with 62.80m (matching his winning throw at the world juniors last year) and 19.29m.
18.99s

Postby Daniean » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:22 pm

There is a nice Dacres interview in this clip, He also Demos his throwing Technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dAObrObpA
Daniean

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:57 pm

I have to say, with Bolt and gang fuelling the already obsessive sprint culture in Jamaica and the natural depth of talent and culture the future of sprinting at the Olympics looks to be boring, I can see Jamaican 1, 2 and 3's occurring ever more frequently in events shorter than 400m. It does make me wonder if the USAs increasing focus and hype on the likes of Mary Cain is in part due to acceptance that they won't be sprint powerhouses for the foreseeable future?

The shear depth is insane. It makes things too much of a foregone conclusion, I was hoping with the USAs dominance breaking up they would eventually get globally competitive.

It's almost a shame the kids are ever more myopic for sprinting from some reports because Jamaica could field medal teams that will never see the World championships or Olympics ever.

On another note, why in these situations are media reports obsessed with how amazing it is for small countries to be so successful in a sport? If history has show us anything it's that genetics and talent are not homologous across the globe and sporting culture, especially in children is everything. Jamaica dominating sprinting like New Zealand dominates Rugby, Cuba boxing, Romania Gymnastics, Hungary Water Polo, etc.
eldanielfire

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:28 pm

eldanielfire wrote:I have to say, with Bolt and gang fuelling the already obsessive sprint culture in Jamaica and the natural depth of talent and culture the future of sprinting at the Olympics looks to be boring, I can see Jamaican 1, 2 and 3's occurring ever more frequently in events shorter than 400m.

Yes, they are really dominant in the 110h (and 100h too).

There are are seven sprint Golds and 21 medals for both men and women, plus there are another 2 or 3 speed-critical events (LJ/TJ, multis, maybe the PV). Of these total of 60 medals, I expect that the US will out-point Jamaica. And, outside of this speed, what are the medal prospects for Jamaica? Of course, they have a lot smaller population but they have fewer competing sports with track being a relatively strong income option.
26mi235

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:51 pm

26mi235 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:I have to say, with Bolt and gang fuelling the already obsessive sprint culture in Jamaica and the natural depth of talent and culture the future of sprinting at the Olympics looks to be boring, I can see Jamaican 1, 2 and 3's occurring ever more frequently in events shorter than 400m.

Yes, they are really dominant in the 110h (and 100h too).

There are are seven sprint Golds and 21 medals for both men and women, plus there are another 2 or 3 speed-critical events (LJ/TJ, multis, maybe the PV). Of these total of 60 medals, I expect that the US will out-point Jamaica. And, outside of this speed, what are the medal prospects for Jamaica? Of course, they have a lot smaller population but they have fewer competing sports with track being a relatively strong income option.

I wasn't thinking of the hurdles as sprints, I've always assume they aren't technically classified as sprints. However I think Bridget Foster Hylton had posted the 2nd fastest time going into the Olympics last year before her and has been world champion, Melaine Walker was on top of the 400m hurdles before she lost form and I wouldn't be surprised if more hurdled due to the shear volume of competition for such few spaces in the sprints in future (and yes I know not all sprinters can hurdle). The high jump is an option as well, Britain in 2008 had a Jamaican born and still resident who won silver.

Though of course success can bring complacency, I can see sponsors throwing case at younger and younger sprinters and that tends to numb work ethic a tad in some. Though that may not happen as beyond Bolt I doubt Jamaicans will be that marketable.
eldanielfire

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 am

eldanielfire wrote:I have to say, with Bolt and gang fuelling the already obsessive sprint culture in Jamaica and the natural depth of talent and culture the future of sprinting at the Olympics looks to be boring, I can see Jamaican 1, 2 and 3's occurring ever more frequently in events shorter than 400m. It does make me wonder if the USAs increasing focus and hype on the likes of Mary Cain is in part due to acceptance that they won't be sprint powerhouses for the foreseeable future?

The shear depth is insane. It makes things too much of a foregone conclusion, I was hoping with the USAs dominance breaking up they would eventually get globally competitive.

It's almost a shame the kids are ever more myopic for sprinting from some reports because Jamaica could field medal teams that will never see the World championships or Olympics ever.

On another note, why in these situations are media reports obsessed with how amazing it is for small countries to be so successful in a sport? If history has show us anything it's that genetics and talent are not homologous across the globe and sporting culture, especially in children is everything. Jamaica dominating sprinting like New Zealand dominates Rugby, Cuba boxing, Romania Gymnastics, Hungary Water Polo, etc.

Must get the facts right surely.. New Zealand do not dominate Rugby, won the last WC for the first time in decades and little England beat them the last time they played a little while back :lol: Cuba does not dominate Boxing, amateur that is, we got more medals than the Cubans did last August( 3 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze )...Romania does absolutely NOT dominate gymnastics and that was a slip of attention by the writer...
lionelp1

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:56 am

lionelp1 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:I have to say, with Bolt and gang fuelling the already obsessive sprint culture in Jamaica and the natural depth of talent and culture the future of sprinting at the Olympics looks to be boring, I can see Jamaican 1, 2 and 3's occurring ever more frequently in events shorter than 400m. It does make me wonder if the USAs increasing focus and hype on the likes of Mary Cain is in part due to acceptance that they won't be sprint powerhouses for the foreseeable future?

Must get the facts right surely.. New Zealand do not dominate Rugby, won the last WC for the first time in decades and little England beat them the last time they played a little while back :lol: Cuba does not dominate Boxing, amateur that is, we got more medals than the Cubans did last August( 3 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze )...Romania does absolutely NOT dominate gymnastics and that was a slip of attention by the writer...

So you are a Jonny come lately Rugby fan who only watches once every 4 years and doesn't value anything else? New Zealand most certainly dominate world rugby and sometimes losing a single match in a knockout tournament once every 4 years doesn't take away from the fact they thump everybody year in and year out. Especially a tournament that has existed for only 2 decades out of the sports 130 years of international existence. Also nobody has a better all time world cup record and nobody has won more world cups, that is factoring in that they have genuinely had some bad luck in world cups as well (sickness, bad ref calls). At the end of the day they have a big superior winning record against everybody ever for the whole history of the sport. That is domination!

Some of the rest I may not have been clear, I wasn't meant to say they dominate but have massive success in those global sports. A lot of it is having a national passion for a particular sport and having pathways into the sport and wider good sport education along the way.
eldanielfire

Postby 18.99s » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:33 am

eldanielfire wrote:I wasn't thinking of the hurdles as sprints, I've always assume they aren't technically classified as sprints. However I think Bridget Foster Hylton had posted the 2nd fastest time going into the Olympics last year before her and has been world champion, Melaine Walker was on top of the 400m hurdles before she lost form and I wouldn't be surprised if more hurdled due to the shear volume of competition for such few spaces in the sprints in future (and yes I know not all sprinters can hurdle). The high jump is an option as well, Britain in 2008 had a Jamaican born and still resident who won silver.

That was Germaine Mason. Christoff Bryan, the winner of the boy's high jump on Saturday (2.19m) is at the same high school that Mason attended, and is only 16 years old (17 next month) with another year left in school. He also jumped 2.20 last year at 15, which put him at #2 on the world youth list for 2012.
18.99s

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:49 am

NZ do not and never did dominate world Rugby. The most important trophy is the World Cup since 1987, and the record of South Africa is better than NZ and Australia are as good as NZ. The every year meets do not matter that much, imo, rather like winning lots of DL track meets and failing at the very summit, namely the WC. NZ have won twice , same as SA and Aussies. No domination.!!!

I worked with New Zealanders in my company for years and they would laugh to hear you talk about the annual meets in Rugby, only cared about the Big one, which on several occasions they were favourites for and screwed up.!
lionelp1

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 am

18.99s wrote:That was Germaine Mason. Christoff Bryan, the winner of the boy's high jump on Saturday (2.19m) is at the same high school that Mason attended, and is only 16 years old (17 next month) with another year left in school. He also jumped 2.20 last year at 15, which put him at #2 on the world youth list for 2012.

I tweaked about the very narrow focus on the 100 and 200 meters above; however, what I think we should (and will) see more of is the broadening of the application of the athletic talent into other events like this.
26mi235

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 pm

lionelp1 wrote:NZ do not and never did dominate world Rugby. The most important trophy is the World Cup since 1987, and the record of South Africa is better than NZ and Australia are as good as NZ. The every year meets do not matter that much, imo, rather like winning lots of DL track meets and failing at the very summit, namely the WC. NZ have won twice , same as SA and Aussies. No domination.!!!

Complete rubbish! Rugby doesn't have meets or friendlies, they play tests. New Zealand have won more than 85% of their matches under their old coach, their domestic teams dominated Super Rugby, the All Blacks have dominated the Tri-Nations and they have the most wins in world cup matches during their history.

They also have, by some distance, the most wins before the world cup started. I notice you completely ignored my point that the world cup era has only been a short period of Rugby's history and used that as your entire basis for this debate which again shows your ignorance of Rugby's 100+ year history before the world cup.

I worked with New Zealanders in my company for years and they would laugh to hear you talk about the annual meets in Rugby, only cared about the Big one, which on several occasions they were favourites for and screwed up.!

Regardless if they career about the big one

I know they career for the big one, because they had so much bad luck in world cups or chokes. However they have rectified that now and have the joint most world cups, the best win record of all time and most international titles, tests won, longest unbeaten run etc.
eldanielfire

Postby batonless relay » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:27 am

jamboy wrote:Video of Delano Williams amazing 44.8 anchor leg run at the Gibson Relays at the end of February.
I believe that when he goes to the Racers Track Club later this year(training with Bolt/Blake), his best events will be the 200/400m.

His best events will be the 2 and the 4? Why, because he split 44.8? What did Blake split his last year at Jago...wasn't it 45-something? What did Bolt RUN his last year at Champs?

Delano Williams would be wise to run the 100 and the 200m. He is NOT Jamaican so he doesn't have to worry about being left off the top-3 to WC/Olympics like a Nesta Carter, Michael Frater; Nickel Ashmeade, Lerone Clarke and the list goes on and on and on; he's a TCI and GBR representative which means that his profile will be considerably higher running the 100m and the 200m - especially if Gemili continues along his current trajectory and Dasaolu can stay healthy.

Also, where has Glen Mills or any Jamaican coach (yes, that would include Cameron) shown an interest in mens 400m running/training beyond CARIFTA aged athletes? Gonzales? Chambers?

It's comical that fans are encouraging this athlete who is 7 years younger than Usain Bolt to run the 400. Mind boggling, actually. Hopefully, someone he will listen to convinces him otherwise. I'm believing that person will be Mills.
batonless relay

Postby jamboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:54 am

batonless relay wrote:
jamboy wrote:Video of Delano Williams amazing 44.8 anchor leg run at the Gibson Relays at the end of February.

His best events will be the 2 and the 4? Why, because he split 44.8? What did Blake split his last year at Jago...wasn't it 45-something? What did Bolt RUN his last year at Champs?

Delano Williams would be wise to run the 100 and the 200m. He is NOT Jamaican so he doesn't have to worry about being left off the top-3 to WC/Olympics like a Nesta Carter, Michael Frater; Nickel Ashmeade, Lerone Clarke and the list goes on and on and on; he's a TCI and GBR representative which means that his profile will be considerably higher running the 100m and the 200m - especially if Gemili continues along his current trajectory and Dasaolu can stay healthy.

Also, where has Glen Mills or any Jamaican coach (yes, that would include Cameron) shown an interest in mens 400m running/training beyond CARIFTA aged athletes? Gonzales? Chambers?

It's comical that fans are encouraging this athlete who is 7 years younger than Usain Bolt to run the 400. Mind boggling, actually. Hopefully, someone he will listen to convinces him otherwise. I'm believing that person will be Mills.

Even though he is the two time 100m champion(and 200m) as well, to me, his 100m times are more average than say his 200m times. Also, he has always had poor starts.

He almost breaks Bolts 200m champs record(20.27 vs 20.25) and him splitting 44.8 over 400m at Gibson. He has some devastating anchor legs the past 2-3 years at local track meets, Gibson, Champs and Penn Relays. I have no doubt in my mind that if he was entered in the 400m at Champs, he would have won.

In case you didn't know, Glen Mills is now in charge of the 400m program at Racers. Before Gonzalez left Racers, his coach at Racers was Bert Cameron who previously trained all the Racers 400m runners.

Also, the 200/400m on the international circuit are much less competitve than the 100m and thus, his chances of making the finals of those events are much greater than say the 100m.

Neither Bolt, Blake, Asafa, Gatlin, Tyson, etc aren't going anywhere soon when it comes to the 100m.
jamboy

Postby EZSum » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:32 am

Neither Bolt, Blake, Asafa, Gatlin, Tyson, etc aren't going anywhere soon when it comes to the 100m.

The last three of those are on borrowed time already and are unlikely to be around come the next Olympics.
EZSum

Postby batonless relay » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 am

"jamboy"...

100m times are average? 10.28 is NOT average and certainly not at age 19. Plus...He's in High School! And, if you say he's a poor starter, then he can obviously learn to be a better one.

Though the 400m may be less competitive than the 100, it would be debatable that the 200m is less competitive than the 100. Moreover, if there was one event that Williams was more likely to make the finals in, right now, it would be the 200m; certainly not the 400m - and just remember: 20.37 was the LAST qualifier. Basically, Williams has a way to go to make the finals in the 200m. But, there is absolutely no evidence that he can run the rounds necessary to make a final 400m - even if he looks like he has the speed. Plus, nearly every 200m WJC in recent history went on to become a top 200 guy.

All that aside, it seems as if you're not learned in the economics of this sport. The top 100m guys make considerably more than CHAMPIONS in other events. Powell, Gay and Gatlin are 30+. Do you really think that in Rio when Williams is 22 that they will still be a factor? All of them? And, which one is switching allegiance to GBR or TCI to remove Williams from a guaranteed selection? Because it is possible that either of those 3 names might not be able to make their own teams even if they are still sub-9.90. You're viewing the world as if it must be static for williams while dynamic for everyone else so that it fits your thesis. In short: a 10.28.20.27 guy is a 100m sprinter (unless he's getting injured and is forced to move up. See, Johnson, M or Watts, Q).

For those who have proclaimed Williams performance the best by a school boy, they really need to investigate Henry Thomas (Hawthorne High School, CA, USA). They will learn that Williams is not alone.
batonless relay

Postby Tuariki » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:24 am

lionelp1 wrote:NZ do not and never did dominate world Rugby. The most important trophy is the World Cup since 1987, and the record of South Africa is better than NZ and Australia are as good as NZ. T

I think the stats below speak to themselves. Whether lionelp1 wants to admit it or not there is no other international sports team that has dominated a major sport to the extent the All Blacks of New Zealand have done with rugby.

Records of Internationals for the top 6 rugby nations in the world

- - -- - - - - NZL - SAF - AUS -- FRA -- ENG -- WAL
played - - - 513 - 419 -- 531 -- 696 -- 673 --- 656
won - -- - - 386 - 262 -- 281 -- 388 -- 359 --- 337
lost - - - - - 107 - 136 -- 234 -- 276 -- 264 --- 291
tie - - - - - - 20 - - 21 -- 16 - -- 32 - -- 50 - -- 28
%won ----- 75.2 - 62.5 -- 52.9 - 55.7 - 53.3 - 51.4
Av Pt ----- 26.1 - 22.5 - 21.0 - 18.4 -- 12.6 - 14.9
Av Dif -----13.4 - 7.1 -- 4.6 --- 3.9 --- 3.9 -- 1.8

NZL v AUS
Played 146 – NZL win 99 – AUS win 46 – draw 6
NZ winning %age 69

NZL v SAF
Played 85 – NZL win 48 – SAF win 34 – draw 3
NZ winning %age 55

NZL v FRA
Played 51 – NZL win 38 – FRA win 12 – draw 1
NZ wining %age 76

NZL v ENG
Played 35 – NZL win 27 – ENG win 7 – draw 1
NZ winning %age 77

NZL v WAL
Played 29 – NZL win 26 – WAL win 3 – draw 0
NZ winning%age 90

New Zealand have never lost to any other individual country

World Cup records
------Play-Won-Lost-tie--%win-titles
SAF---29--25----4----0---86.2---2
NZL---43--37----6----0---86.0---2
AUS---41--33----8----0---80.5---2
FRA---43--30---12----1---70.9---0
ENG---40--29---11---0---72.5---1
WAL--32--18---14----0---56.2---0
Tuariki

Postby EZSum » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:47 pm

I think Williams is similar to Xavier Carter in that the deuce is his ideal event while being solid in all of the sprints. Focusing more on 100m would be a mistake. Sub 20s are his ticket to medals and money.
EZSum

Postby batonless relay » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:27 pm

EZSum wrote:I think Williams is similar to Xavier Carter in that the deuce is his ideal event while being solid in all of the sprints. Focusing more on 100m would be a mistake. Sub 20s are his ticket to medals and money.

Now, that is a better comparison, imo. However, Carter's limitations at 100m were more technical...they could have been corrected and he could have run the 100. Williams is good technically and the mysteries of acceleration can be learned. But to suggest that Williams is even CLOSE to a medal at 200m in the next 5 years seems a bit...uhm...optimistic, no?

Who are these athletes that you think Williams will beat at 200m for this ticket to money (and medals, no less) to be so plentiful? Bolt? Blake? Weir? Ashmeade? Young? Gay? Gatlin? Spearmon? DIx? R. Bailey? Lemaitre? Martina? Edward? Even the loud-mouthed Olympic Youth Champion, Odean Skeen, said that had he been in the race he would have won. And, that precludes the possibility of Jamaica - or any other country - finding a replacement for any of the athletes named above.

The point is that there are no quick roads to the medals in the 100 or the 200m - or the 400 for that matter; an athlete just has to work his hardest, take his licks and hope he improves to be a world beater. At 400m...his PB's are not the equal of LaShawn Merritt and James and Santos are very young and very tough. He needs to follow the path Blake took: train hard, learn from the fastest in practice and in a few years he might get to show his ability.
batonless relay

PreviousNext