USATF Results: Day 2 [AR for Suhr, then WR]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: USATF Results: Day 2 [AR for Suhr, then WR]

Postby tm71 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 pm

tired of smart a$$es trying to put a damper into a great performance. we do it all the time in this sport. if it is not drugs, it is the wind, if not that then the altitude or the fast track or the magic in eugene. it is not like there have been that many WRs on US soil so enjoy the record and the performance and give credit were it is due !
tm71

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:29 pm

I do not really think some smart ass was really trying to put down the performance (although I did edge in that direction). I think it was primarily a difference of opinion as to how much assistance is provided by altitude. It is my opinion that altitude provides at best modest assistance for the vaulters; likely less than typical aiding winds provide in most outdoor competitions (with the caveat that variable winds can create havoc for jumpers of all stripes but the vault being the most vulnerable).
26mi235

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 am

polevaultpower wrote:
Dave wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Cooter Brown wrote: Pole vault world record holder Yelena Isinbayeva said Tuesday she doubts she will be fit enough to compete at the world championships in Moscow in August.

Oh, so I'm not completely crazy! :D

I wonder if Ms. Suhr's world record affected Isinbaeva's perceived fitness

Nope, the article was from about 3 weeks ago. I missed it at the time, but I found it after Marlow mentioned it. Thanks for the tip!

I am somewhat surprised, because Isi's plan for many years until London was to retire after Moscow. She very much wants to compete well in front of the home crowd. London didn't go well so now she is considering 4 more years.

She's always been pretty clear that she wants to get married and have babies at some point. I think she hoped to have that married part taken care of, or at least in the works by now so she could get started on the babies after Moscow. She's 30 now and the biological clock is probably starting to tick.

My guess is that Mr Right hasn't come along so she is ostensibly sticking with pole vaulting, but it doesn't seem like her heart is really in that anymore either. I'm surprised she would express doubt so early in the year about her fitness in August, that is a long way off.

It is strange, several Russian articles are stating Isi missed the indoor season specifically to be ready for Moscow. I wonder if that article is a bad translation? It doesn't seem to have been repeated in other sources.
eldanielfire

Postby JRM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 pm

odelltrclan wrote:Jenn was quoted after the meet as saying she expected big things in this meet and one of the reasons she gave was because it was at altitude.

With all due respect to Ms. Suhr and her impressive WR, her "feeling" about what altitude will do isn't necessarily a reflection of the reality of what altitude will actually do.

You cannot definitively say altitude only helps fast athletes (by the way, Jenn is considered fast among women's PV's).

Of course I can definitively say that. Equations do not lie or stretch the truth, and aren't open to personal interpretation. Drag effects depend on the square of the velocity. So, someone running at 5m/s will experience much less drag than someone running at 10m/s. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I will once again try to explain what the situation is with aerodynamic drag. It basically depends on two things the athlete can't control -- wind and air density -- and one thing that changes during the jump -- their cross-sectional area to the direction of motion. The PVer will likely benefit most from assistance in the run-up phase, because that's where the cross-sectional area is the biggest. Any reduction in drag will be greatest here for that reason, and also that their velocity is elevated. That being said, however, there isn't enough time to significantly affect the run-up, enough that drag would have a big impact (they're not running fast enough for a long enough time to 'accrue' the benefits).

Once the pole is planted and they're rising, their cross-sectional area shrinks as they rotate to get into a vertical position. So, there is unlikely any big effect in this phase. The physical properties of the pole don't change with altitude, nor does it get longer to help them get higher, so the only thing that will matter is how much potential energy was put into it when it was planted (transferred from the run-up). And as I said, that's not going to be much different at sea level or altitude, especially if there is no wind.

If you wish, the gravitational field strength is smaller at altitude as well (this also changes with latitude, since the Earth isn't a perfect sphere). In Albuquerque, it's about 9.79 N/kg, compared to 9.795 N/kg in LA and 9.80 N/kg in Oslo. So, given the energy to rise 5m in the air in Oslo, you can get an extra couple millimetres in ABQ...

This must have been one of the most important meets of all time (so much so that many skipped the meet) for so many to have their all time bests in the last couple of days.

It was a national championship that had strong competition. As a track and field fan, you are surprised that one might see a wealth of personal bests at this calibre of a meet?
JRM

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:49 pm

eldanielfire wrote:It is strange, several Russian articles are stating Isi missed the indoor season specifically to be ready for Moscow. I wonder if that article is a bad translation? It doesn't seem to have been repeated in other sources.

I haven't had the time or energy to try and dig up the original article and run it through Google translate. The translation is from a Russian source, but they may be exaggerating Isi's doubt about Moscow and taking her quote out of context.
polevaultpower

Postby az2004 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:00 pm

how long has izzy been vaulting?

well before 2000 ??

taking time off is good for her, given suhr mightwell be at her peak
az2004

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:55 pm

az2004 wrote:how long has izzy been vaulting?

well before 2000 ??

taking time off is good for her, given suhr mightwell be at her peak

She's the same age as I am which is also the same age as Jenn (+/- a year?) and I think she started in her mid to late teens, so probably 98-99-00 was when she first picked up a pole.

But she's taken several extended breaks from the sport in the past few years. Clearly something is amiss.
polevaultpower

Previous