Don Valley on the outs?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Don Valley on the outs?

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:52 am

I hear Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield might be getting the boot. Anyone know why? I went to a couple of meets there. Not a bad track at all.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Don Valley on the outs?

Postby deuch » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am

Conor Dary wrote:I hear Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield might be getting the boot. Anyone know why? I went to a couple of meets there. Not a bad track at all.

It looses money, and there is no way it can ever break even, and the local authority is short of cash.

The story of the costs of building the stadium and running its opening event are an interesting indication of the (in)ability of this particular local authority to manage its money.
deuch

Re: Don Valley on the outs?

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:49 am

Conor Dary wrote:I hear Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield might be getting the boot. Anyone know why? I went to a couple of meets there. Not a bad track at all.

The local authority needs to make cuts, it's an easy target as maintenance is high and there are other Athletics facilities for people to train and use saving a half million a year. A typical council asset where they have never attempted to use it for wider purposes and reduce the net cost or even make a profit.
eldanielfire