Paris DL to pay bolt US$300,000 to run

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Paris DL to pay bolt US$300,000 to run

Postby jamboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:17 pm

After all his achievements as the Greatest Of All Time(GOAT), he is worth every penny. Glad the organizers recognize that.

==================================================================================

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... paris-meet

Organizers will pay the Jamaican sprinter US$300,000 for taking part, Boquillet said, describing the fee as standard for a runner of Bolt's caliber.
jamboy

Re: Paris DL to pay bolt US$300,000 to run

Postby aaronk » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:43 pm

They better hope he doesn't false start!! :shock:
aaronk

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:46 pm

jamboy wrote:After all his achievements as the Greatest Of All Time(GOAT), he is worth every penny. Glad the organizers recognize that.

==================================================================================

Organizers will pay the Jamaican sprinter US$300,000 for taking part, Boquillet said, describing the fee as standard for a runner of Bolt's caliber.

How many seats would be empty if Mr. Bolt were not there?
Dave

Postby jamboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:18 pm

aaronk wrote:They better hope he doesn't false start!! :shock:

Its an appearance fee and not a running fee and thus, if he false starts, he still gets paid. :D
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Dave wrote:
jamboy wrote:After all his achievements as the Greatest Of All Time(GOAT), he is worth every penny. Glad the organizers recognize that.

How many seats would be empty if Mr. Bolt were not there?

Bolt typically draws a full house whenever he runs. It has been 3 years since he has run in the US and I really hope he comes this year.
jamboy

Postby ATK » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 pm

jamboy wrote:Bolt typically draws a full house whenever he runs. It has been 3 years since he has run in the US and I really hope he comes this year.

You mean 5 years
ATK

Postby jamboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 pm

ATK wrote:
jamboy wrote:Bolt typically draws a full house whenever he runs. It has been 3 years since he has run in the US and I really hope he comes this year.
You mean 5 years

Bolt ran on the Jamaica 4 x 100m team at the 2010 Penn Relays. 3 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndcMIxuMjD0

I am sure if Nike(main sponsor for the Penn Relays) and USA Track and Field wants Bolt to run at this year's Penn Relays, they could work out something$$$$$. I hope they try because Track and Field definitely needs a lift in the US and Bolt could do it.

It was an incredible experience with Bolt and 55,000 die hard fans cheering him on in 2010. I am lucky to have been at the event in person.
jamboy

Postby AS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Given the Penn Relays is very close to sold out every year anyway, why throw $$$ at Bolt?

The two US DL differ in their lack of impetus to chase him.

Pre doesn't need that many more bums on seats (and why would Nike throw a Puma man so much?).

And the NYC meet simply doesn't have a big enough stadium to hold any big leap in crowd (and as before for Adidas as sponsor).

Why can Paris justify such payments? Stade de France has a capacity close to 80,000. Given they've struggled to half-fill the stadium in recent years, a boost of 10-15,000 would no doubt warrant the $$ forked out here.

Try and reproduce that maths for Penn, Pre or NYC...
AS

Postby ATK » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 pm

jamboy wrote:
ATK wrote:
You mean 5 years

Bolt ran on the Jamaica 4 x 100m team at the 2010 Penn Relays. 3 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndcMIxuMjD0

I am sure if Nike(main sponsor for the Penn Relays) and USA Track and Field wants Bolt to run at this year's Penn Relays, they could work out something$$$$$. I hope they try because Track and Field definitely needs a lift in the US and Bolt could do it.

It was an incredible experience with Bolt and 55,000 die hard fans cheering him on in 2010. I am lucky to have been at the event in person.

Ah your right, was thinking individual event.

Yea was there as well. Bolt came out, did a stride on the infield, crowd goes crazy....
ATK

Postby jamboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:54 pm

AS wrote:Given the Penn Relays is very close to sold out every year anyway, why throw $$$ at Bolt?

The two US DL differ in their lack of impetus to chase him.

Pre doesn't need that many more bums on seats (and why would Nike throw a Puma man so much?).

And the NYC meet simply doesn't have a big enough stadium to hold any big leap in crowd (and as before for Adidas as sponsor).

Why can Paris justify such payments? Stade de France has a capacity close to 80,000. Given they've struggled to half-fill the stadium in recent years, a boost of 10-15,000 would no doubt warrant the $$ forked out here.

Try and reproduce that maths for Penn, Pre or NYC...

You just gave us all the reasons why we probably won't see Bolt run in the US anytime soon.

One important aspect you forgot is sponsorship money. I am sure the meet organisers raise alot of money from sponsors.

The JAAA puts on the Jamaica Invitational every year. Last year's budget was close to JA$25 million dollars with most of the monies coming from high level sponsors of the meet. The meet attracts high level stars every year like Jeter, Richards, Bolt, Blake, Fraser, etc.

Gate receipts alone cannot pay for a meet budget.
jamboy

Postby AS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 pm

jamboy wrote:You just gave us all the reasons why we probably won't see Bolt run in the US anytime soon.

One important aspect you forgot is sponsorship money. I am sure the meet organisers raise alot of money from sponsors.

The JAAA puts on the Jamaica Invitational every year. Last year's budget was close to JA$25 million dollars with most of the monies coming from high level sponsors of the meet. The meet attracts high level stars every year like Jeter, Richards, Bolt, Blake, Fraser, etc.

When US meets get wall-to-wall LIVE network TV coverage sponsors MIGHT jump on board. And hence we enter a chicken and egg problem:

Meet promoter: We need your $$ to get Usain Bolt
Sponsor: I'd love that.He's a cool dude. But is the meet (and my brand/logo) gonna be seen by a bazillion people??
Meet promoter: Well, we might get live coverage if Bolt signs on
Sponsor: Cool, I'll jump on board once that happens
Meet promoter: But we need your $$ to get Usain Bolt...

And on it goes...
AS

Postby jamboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13 pm

AS wrote:
jamboy wrote:You just gave us all the reasons why we probably won't see Bolt run in the US anytime soon.

When US meets get wall-to-wall LIVE network TV coverage sponsors MIGHT jump on board. And hence we enter a chicken and egg problem:

Sponsor: I'd love that.He's a cool dude. But is the meet (and my brand/logo) gonna be seen by a bazillion people??

And on it goes...

Well, if USA Track and Field, Nike, Addidas, etc get involved and are serious about it, it can happen. Unfortunately, Bolt is neither a NIke or an Addidas athleted(he is Puma) and thus, they may not want to go all out to do it.

Curious as to what incentives they gave to him to run at the 2010 Penn Relays. I am not sure if professional athletes get paid to run at Penns.
jamboy

Postby Ned Ryerson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:38 am

AS wrote:

And on it goes...

What US Diamond League meet is not on live television?
Ned Ryerson

Postby vip » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:22 am

Ran into Bolt a few weeks ago. He said he plans to be at the New York Diamond League meet, but no Eugene (I'm not sure if he's ever run at Pre) and Penn is very unlikely (I took it as a "no.").
vip

Postby jamboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 am

vip wrote:Ran into Bolt a few weeks ago. He said he plans to be at the New York Diamond League meet, but no Eugene (I'm not sure if he's ever run at Pre) and Penn is very unlikely (I took it as a "no.").

We will see. Its the coaches/agents who decide where he runs. He was at the meet a year or two ago. However, he didn't run.
jamboy

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 am

Why would Nike pay a Puma guy big bucks to run in their meet?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jamboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 am

Conor Dary wrote:Why would Nike pay a Puma guy big bucks to run in their meet?

Nike won't but the big DL promoters in Europe will and thus, track and field is dying a slow and certain death here in the US.
Last edited by jamboy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby gh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:04 am

The DL meets in Europe aren't bankrolled by a shoe company; no conflict of interest problems. Take away adidas and Nike and there is no DL meet in the U.S.
gh

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 am

I'm slightly amused by the way they have advertised this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3567_n.jpg
eldanielfire