Why does Brigetta Barrett not hold the CR?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Why does Brigetta Barrett not hold the CR?

Postby noone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Barrett jumped 6-8 last year, wasn't she a collegian then? The form chart on p.20 of the current issue shows her as being a senior now.
noone

Re: Why does Brigetta Barrett not hold the CR?

Postby aaronk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 pm

She jumped that after the NCAA's.
T&FN only accepts collegiate marks made up to and including the championship meet as eligible for collegiate lists, and for CR's!
aaronk

Postby noone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:03 pm

aaronk wrote:She jumped that after the NCAA's.
T&FN only accepts collegiate marks made up to and including the championship meet as eligible for collegiate lists, and for CR's!

Hmm. I see. Thanks.
noone

Postby AS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 pm

I must say i find it weirder when this rule is applied to returning athletes. It makes a whole lot more sense for those set to graduate.
AS

Postby noone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am

AS wrote:I must say i find it weirder when this rule is applied to returning athletes. It makes a whole lot more sense for those set to graduate.

I agree. is this an official NCAA rule or just a T&FN rule? If for example an American sets a national record while running in Europe, it's still an AR, so I feel it should be the same when a collegian is running in the summer or fall,as long as they haven't actually finished their college career.
noone

Postby mcgato » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:36 am

I think that the issue of records comes up often enough that TFN should have a little page that clearly explains what they consider the records to mean.

As far as I know, the NCAA does not keep NCAA records for track and field, only NCAA championship meet records. The stance that TFN takes is that their list of NCAA records should only be made during the NCAA track season by NCAA athletes. Thus no records can be made after the NCAA championship meet. Note that their college record page has a list of superior marks made outside of the NCAA season, which currently has Barrett's performance listed.

TFN seems to have a pretty good grasp about what should be counted as a record for all of the categories that they list.
mcgato

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:13 pm

I guess Jenny SImpson is lucky that in 2009 the Prefontaine Classic was held before NCAA's instead of after like it usually is. Otherwise, she wouldn't be collegiate 1500 record holder. The fact that she set the record in a pro race competing against some of the best pros in the world is besides the fact.
jazzcyclist

Postby gwwayne » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Using the same logic, then high schoolers should not have any national records after their state championship.
gwwayne

Postby mcgato » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:00 pm

High school records are treated differently from college records. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with what is or is not logical.
mcgato

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm

mcgato wrote:High school records are treated differently from college records. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with what is or is not logical.

In the long term I suppose it doesn't matter, she will have a career likely to include gold medals at the Olympic and/or world stage. She's a genuine global talent whose eventual career successes will be massive.
eldanielfire

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 pm

mcgato wrote:High school records are treated differently from college records. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with what is or is not logical.

Not really true. College has a clear end-date. For high school, there used to be a clear end date but then states started and finished their school calendars much more heterogeneously. The calendar is set to include the end-of-year meets for high schoolers; there might also be a decision to include the other 'natural' meet(s) -- Junior Olympics.
26mi235

Postby gwwayne » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 pm

The point is that a magazine or website shouldn't make the decision, but those respective governing bodies.
gwwayne

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 pm

gwwayne wrote:The point is that a magazine or website shouldn't make the decision, but those respective governing bodies.

The NHTSF (or whatever the name is) have their rule; it is one not too many are very enthused with, but it is a useful list. Basically, the organization that makes the 'best' list is the one most people will pay attention to. T&FN probably gets paid more attention and any other. Note also that T&FN lists out-of-season marks so they are there two. You can then use the information however it fits. T&FNews does not 'recognize' officialdom when officialdom is likely or almost certainly wrong (e.g., 10.49 [w~5mps] is carried as a windy mark; a very good one).
26mi235