No one is in the stands (very few)

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

No one is in the stands (very few)

Postby GHM » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 am

I am watching SEC on ESPN3 and the stadium is empty. I am wondering how many people attended last day of Big10, ACC, and other major indoor championships? T&F is dead as far as US general public viewer concern, only us hard core fan care. Sorry for the negative topic.
GHM

Re: No one is in the stands (very few)

Postby unclezadok » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:08 pm

This has been true since I started following track in 1960 or so.
unclezadok

Postby gh » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Everybody's home getting ready for ABC's 4-hour red carpet leadin to the Oscars!
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm

At the Big Ten meet the crowd has always been an issue, in the sense that I think that the men have sold out every day in the three times I have officiated the meet in Madison. The SPIRE facility has the attractive feature that than can hold more, although with it not being at any host school, the attendance is possibly short of capacity. The outdoor meet also seemed pretty full but it is harder to judge because many people are scattered around on berms and other areas watching. The outdoor (Big Tens were in Madison last May, with great weather except for a windy period) event also runs a lot longer, so a lot of people probably came/went/came...
26mi235

Postby aaronk » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:37 pm

GHM wrote:I am watching SEC on ESPN3 and the stadium is empty. I am wondering how many people attended last day of Big10, ACC, and other major indoor championships? T&F is dead as far as US general public viewer concern, only us hard core fan care. Sorry for the negative topic.

For a graphic illustration of what you say, check out the cover of the May 1991 issue of T&FN.....with the headline "What if they gave a track meet, and nobody came?".

Sadly, that issue is a classic!! :(
aaronk

Postby vip » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:58 pm

If you removed from the stands other athletes, their friends and family, coaches and officials and folks who got freebies, how many "fans" would be at any of these meets? You might be depressed to know that answer.

Track on the highest level does itself no favors by emphasizing only one or two meets a year (usually Olympics or WC) and therefore implying to fans and athletes that the other meets are merely exhibitions.

But again, this isn't anything new or newsy. Dog bites man.
vip

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:15 pm

The other problem we have is that our athletes compete less often than the athletes in any other sport do, save horse racing and professional boxing.
Mighty Favog

Re: No one is in the stands (very few) Here is to improve i

Postby GHM » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 pm

As a person who ran yards and metric races in college we always here about good old days of 100y dash and 2 Mile. It does not matter if you run 100y or 100m, 3000/3200m or 2 mile in meets when no one is there to watch it.

Rest is just for fun: May be we have to pay appearance fees to certain athletes to show up at meets with specific type of uniform. Look how NASCAR is cashing on Danica Patrick. Look at picture below

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013_s ... eke_2.html

I just do not want IOC cut number of athletes to one per country and so on and on. IMO time is short.
GHM

Postby spammer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:29 pm

This post might be just stating the obvious, but I think if we consider track and field an amateur sport, it is alive and well. In US high schools, it is the number 2 sport by participation. The IAAF stands for International Amateur Athletic Foundation. In that case, it's fine if only family, friends, and (most importantly) ESPN are at the conference championship meets. I'll admit I'm as dissappointed as you are , especially in regards to the SEC, which is my favorite conference, but it's still fine.

The problem is when we consider it a professional sport, then interest will always be a problem unless they find a way to get more big name head to head clashes in popular events. I'd be interested to know whether the USATF is happy with current interest levels in t and f, or whether they want it to be seen as a professional sport on par with hockey or something.
spammer

Postby lonewolf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:47 pm

GHM wrote:I am watching SEC on ESPN3 and the stadium is empty. I am wondering how many people attended last day of Big10, ACC, and other major indoor championships? T&F is dead as far as US general public viewer concern, only us hard core fan care. Sorry for the negative topic.

Hmmm?? I don't know how it looked on TV but I worked the meet and while it was not a capacity crowd, I would not describe the stands as "empty"..Agreed, they may have been mostly athletes, coaches, friends and family but the south stands were pretty well packed with athletes and the north stands with civilians.. they even rolled out the west bleachers.
NCAA will be packed.
lonewolf

Postby gh » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:15 am

For many years now IAAF has meant International Association Of Athletics Federations... the word amateur was booted to the curb long ago.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:33 am

gh wrote:For many years now IAAF has meant International Association Of Athletics Federations... the word amateur was booted to the curb long ago.

The Late, Great, Primo was alive when that happened.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am

spammer wrote:

The problem is when we consider it a professional sport, then interest will always be a problem unless they find a way to get more big name head to head clashes in popular events. I'd be interested to know whether the USATF is happy with current interest levels in t and f, or whether they want it to be seen as a professional sport on par with hockey or something.

Getting head to head competitions together has been a problem since the 19th Century.
Lillie Bridge in London was destroyed in the 1890's when Harry Hutchens and another sprinter
were suppose to race and the race was called off because of some gamblers. The crowd was a might upset and burned the grounds down.

As for comparing track to hockey or any team sport is, well...good luck...
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby sprintdoc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:10 am

Yes the stands will be full for NCAA's and that is part of the problem. With the nationals on the same track in 2 weeks many fans stayed home rather than venture out.

I also think Arkansas may be suffering from track fatigue much like Eugene did back in the late 90's and early 2000's when attendance dropped greatly. They need to revitalize the experience and the marketing at Arkansas like Oregon did. Now it helped the Ducks became more competitive in the past 6-7 years but the Hogs are already very competitive.

I also think at the SEC meet I never saw a publicly posted scoreboard with team scores. This aspect needs to be played up more for the fans at every college meet. I have always felt there should be a scoreboard dedicated to team scores like there is at every other college sporting event.
sprintdoc

Postby lonewolf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:46 am

sprintdoc wrote:Yes the stands will be full for NCAA's and that is part of the problem. With the nationals on the same track in 2 weeks many fans stayed home rather than venture out.

I also think Arkansas may be suffering from track fatigue much like Eugene did back in the late 90's and early 2000's when attendance dropped greatly. They need to revitalize the experience and the marketing at Arkansas like Oregon did. Now it helped the Ducks became more competitive in the past 6-7 years but the Hogs are already very competitive.

I also think at the SEC meet I never saw a publicly posted scoreboard with team scores. This aspect needs to be played up more for the fans at every college meet. I have always felt there should be a scoreboard dedicated to team scores like there is at every other college sporting event.

There was a scoreboard facing the north stands that showed the continually changing team scores in real time...probably not visible on TV.
But, I agree about track fatigue. Although with its illustrous track history and resurgence there is great local enthusiam for track,with seven indoor meets and five outdoor meets Arkansas may be saturating the local track market.
lonewolf

Postby vip » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:28 pm

One reason track is the No. 2 participatory sport in high school is because it's a no-cut sport. Lots of kids do track just to have an after-school activity or for social reasons. In addition, lots of fall and winter athletes use track just to stay in shape. Sure, a fair amount of kids enjoy the sport but the large number of participants don't tell the full story. Just thought I'd add some perspective.
vip

Postby tandfman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 am

sprintdoc wrote:Yes the stands will be full for NCAA's and that is part of the problem. With the nationals on the same track in 2 weeks many fans stayed home rather than venture out.

I suspect the fans of football and basketball in that area do not hesitate to venture out to a game notwithstanding the fact that there may be a bigger game two weeks later.
tandfman