1976 Olympic shot put champion Beyer admits doping

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

1976 Olympic shot put champion Beyer admits doping

Postby Tuariki » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 pm

BERLIN (AP) - Former Olympic shot put champion Udo Beyer has for the first time admitted doping, saying in a documentary that it was his personal decision and he won the gold medal in 1976 in Montreal because he was "the best" and not because he doped.

So, I wonder if the righteous folks at IOC and IAAF will now take steps to cancel Beyers records and medals; a la Armstrong. One would think that what was good got goose should be good for the gander.
Tuariki

Re: 1976 Olympic shot put champion Beyer admits doping

Postby Marlow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Tuariki wrote:
BERLIN (AP) - Former Olympic shot put champion Udo Beyer has for the first time admitted doping, saying in a documentary that it was his personal decision and he won the gold medal in 1976 in Montreal because he was "the best" and not because he doped.

So, I wonder if the righteous folks at IOC and IAAF will now take steps to cancel Beyers records and medals; a la Armstrong. One would think that what was good got goose should be good for the gander.

This is a virtually meaningless exercise since legions of others were dirty, so what's the point? He MAY have been the best, but we'll sure never know.
Marlow

Postby KDFINE » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm

By claiming that he was the best isn't he is implying that his competitors were also juicing?
KDFINE

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:29 pm

KDFINE wrote:By claiming that he was the best isn't he is implying that his competitors were also juicing?

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, he has to say about the East German system.
Dave

Postby GMH454 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:53 pm

juicing in the 70's .... hmmmmm

we had jrs juicing in our lifting gym (Sydney) in 1972, did not think much of it. It was done, and basically as there were no tests, it seemed a moral decision only ... how widespread is always debated

I lifted at a gym in Vegas in 1980 (I am from Oz) and discussing Peds with the owner, he told me that a local high school coach had gotten into some strife when it was found his whole team was on steroids. He survived when he produced permission notes from ALL the parents...

not urban myth, straight from a March 1980 conversation

my favourite was a certain athlete/actor who in meeting two of the US lifters going to the Worlds in Perth in 1977 asked them what they took.

"30 a day"

he rang a well connected friend with concern. He was taking 40 a day, and although he had won National medals, and was 45-55kgs heavier he thought, maybe I should cut back.

his friend told him it was alright, don't worry. You are talking mills ...they are talking pills!! (5mill x 30 = 150) also heard that one from the source March 1980. (names not given as I do not intend to embarass anyone.)

oh the good old days
GMH454

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:33 pm

EAST GERMAN OLYMPIC SHOT PUT CHAMPION TOOK DRUGS

This seems very much like a non story to me. Especially with throwers back then.
JumboElliott

Postby DrJay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:46 pm

I keep hoping Cierpinski will send his gold medal to its rightful owner, with a short note of apology. Dream on....
DrJay

Postby lonewolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:47 pm

DrJay wrote:I keep hoping Cierpinski will send his gold medal to its rightful owner, with a short note of apology. Dream on....

Frank has not given up in his crusade.
lonewolf

Postby Rog » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 am

DrJay wrote:I keep hoping Cierpinski will send his gold medal to its rightful owner, with a short note of apology. Dream on....

By rightful owner, do you mean frank Shorter? Do you really think top level athletics in the US was any cleaner than in the GDR in the 70s? I doubt it...
Rog

Postby mal » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:00 am

Rog wrote:

By rightful owner, do you mean frank Shorter? Do you really think top level athletics in the US was any cleaner than in the GDR in the 70s? I doubt it...

Come on.

Don't besmirch Frank Shorter because you think some US thrower got away with something.

You should be chatised.
mal

Postby paw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:40 am

Udo Beyer already admitted doping in 1992:

from a danish television programme about doping in East Germany:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlk_cHQB ... e=youtu.be
paw

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:09 am

Tuariki wrote:So, I wonder if the righteous folks at IOC and IAAF will now take steps to cancel Beyers records and medals; a la Armstrong. One would think that what was good got goose should be good for the gander.

As far as I can tell, Armstrong is the only athlete in the history of sports that's not protected by the statute of limitations of the IOC and the various sports governing bodies.
jazzcyclist

Postby kuha » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 am

mal wrote:
Rog wrote:

Come on.

Don't besmirch Frank Shorter because you think some US thrower got away with something.

You should be chatised.

Yes. There IS a non-trivial difference between Shorter and Cierpinski.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Tuariki wrote:So, I wonder if the righteous folks at IOC and IAAF will now take steps to cancel Beyers records and medals; a la Armstrong. One would think that what was good got goose should be good for the gander.

As far as I can tell, Armstrong is the only athlete in the history of sports that's not protected by the statute of limitations of the IOC and the various sports governing bodies.

Yea, funny isn't that. Being the Anti-Christ and participating in a sport with a .0001% fan base will do that. And throw in a government agency that needs to prove their budget...
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.