No wrestling in 2020 Olympics

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: No wrestling in 2020 Olympics

Postby kuha » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:15 pm

Exactly. If you want to have some clue as to what the Olympic future will hold, think like an NBC executive.
kuha

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Kuha, that is a depressing thought. So we're talking about five events, swimming, gymnastics, beach volleyball and basketball.

OK, four events.
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Daisy wrote:Kuha, that is a depressing thought. So we're talking about five events, swimming, gymnastics, beach volleyball and basketball.

OK, four events.

Well, there will always be the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.....
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby kuha » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Daisy wrote:Kuha, that is a depressing thought. So we're talking about five events, swimming, gymnastics, beach volleyball and basketball.

OK, four events.

Well, there will always be the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.....

Precisely. AND, of course, all those wonderful up-close-and-personal profiles on inspirational athletes like.......Oscar Pistorius.
kuha

Postby Pego » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:30 pm

You guys are making me depressed.
Pego

Postby bambam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:14 pm

kuha wrote:Exactly. If you want to have some clue as to what the Olympic future will hold, think like an NBC executive.

Actually, the swimming rules were changed in the early 1980s limiting each event to only 2 swimmers per nation, because the USA and the GDR women were so dominant that they were sweeping many of the events. Had nothing to do with NBC (then ABC televised) as they would prefer 3 Americans.

Note that no such rule exists for table tennis or badminton although the Chinese dominate those sports.
bambam

Postby kuha » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:15 pm

bambam wrote:
kuha wrote:Exactly. If you want to have some clue as to what the Olympic future will hold, think like an NBC executive.

Actually, the swimming rules were changed in the early 1980s limiting each event to only 2 swimmers per nation, because the USA and the GDR women were so dominant that they were sweeping many of the events. Had nothing to do with NBC (then ABC televised) as they would prefer 3 Americans.

Note that no such rule exists for table tennis or badminton although the Chinese dominate those sports.

And I'd suggest that the "early 1980s" were an eon ago in terms of current Olympic politics and economics. The question on the table is: what is driving the decisions being made now?
kuha

Postby kuha » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Pego wrote:You guys are making me depressed.

FInally, I feel like I'm earning my astronomical salary here! :lol:
kuha

Postby DrJay » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:36 pm

noone wrote:
DrJay wrote:
Powell wrote:Be honest... how many of you lamenting wrestling's fate actually watched any wrestling during the last OG?

I also watched no synchronized diving nor rhythmic gymastics, but think those are silly sports that should get the ax.

I think especially we, as aficionados of a "niche sport", should be very careful about calling sports we don't understand "silly", lest someone call hammer throwing silly.

Let 'em call it silly to Yuriy Sedykh's face!

OK, it's a bit of an odd event, but it makes more sense than ribbon-twirling/hoop tossing and catching, and has some history behind it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_throw

I'd disagree that T&F is a niche sport. One of the largest sports participant-wise in the world, with running, jumping, and throwing the most basic/natural/uncontrived of athletic skills. (OK, so the triple jump and pole vault are a bit contrived.)
DrJay

Postby Powell » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:28 am

noone wrote:I personally think the best way to make the Olympics a bit smaller is to reduce the number of similar events:
In swimming, it is not unusual to see the same athlete win the 50m, 100m and 200m free, the various relays, and sometimes the butterfly which seems to call for a similar skill set.

I agree that there are too many similar events in some sports (and that includes T&F as well IMO). But cutting a few swimming events would not reduce the number of athletes a whole lot, since as you observed, a lot of swimmers compete in several events, so they would still be there if some of those were cut.
Powell

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 am

I don't see why people want events cut at the Olympics. If anything I would love to see a few more sports and couple more T&F events. The nice thing about the Olympics is you can watch what you want or discover a new Sport, if only for two weeks. Sure some Sports are based on judgement, but the skills involved are amazing and deserve to be displayed. People also ignore the fact judges are involved in all sports and even in T&F, Football/Soccer, Basketball, Rugby etc judges calls have been Just as influential in deciding the result in a great many matches or games.
eldanielfire

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:43 am

Powell wrote:
noone wrote:I personally think the best way to make the Olympics a bit smaller is to reduce the number of similar events:
In swimming, it is not unusual to see the same athlete win the 50m, 100m and 200m free, the various relays, and sometimes the butterfly which seems to call for a similar skill set.

I agree that there are too many similar events in some sports (and that includes T&F as well IMO). But cutting a few swimming events would not reduce the number of athletes a whole lot, since as you observed, a lot of swimmers compete in several events, so they would still be there if some of those were cut.

Now that NBC has found that some USA dude or gal winning a gazillion medals is the path to NBC viewership glory, I think it is pretty unlikely Swimming will lose any events.

Also the sponsor like it too, I would bet.
Last edited by Conor Dary on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:45 am

kuha wrote:
bambam wrote:

And I'd suggest that the "early 1980s" were an eon ago in terms of current Olympic politics and economics. The question on the table is: what is driving the decisions being made now?

Yes, the early 1980's is almost quaint to the goings on now with the IOC.
Conor Dary

Previous