Couldn't find Rupp's 3:50.92 results...

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Couldn't find Rupp's 3:50.92 results...

Postby az2004 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:07 am

if we use farah as the model, i think it's all about winning

being able to deal with the top africans at the end of races, i see the salazar model beingthe final 1k of the race being hard enough so his guys, farah and rupp max their chances

whether the move to win comes at 600 or 1000, it will be decisive

the rupp 3:50 mile is a step in building

if it doesn't get the lagat mark, neither rupp nor salazar will be overly concerned

it's all a step to bigger things
az2004

Postby lovetorun » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:48 am

Agree 100%...dealing with race tactics and learning how to win in any scenerio is much more valuable than just running fast. :)
lovetorun

Postby aaronk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:48 am

lovetorun wrote:Agree 100%...dealing with race tactics and learning how to win in any scenerio is much more valuable than just running fast. :)

Hate (or love??? :P ) to have to offer a rebuttal, but.....
isn't "running as fast as you can, especially if you're in GREAT shape and just ran a 3:50.92 mile, and have SUPER confidence in your ability....
isn't running fast from the gun ALSO considered a 'race tactic"??

Seems someone named David Rudisha used just such a "tactic" in his WR OG race a few months ago!!
aaronk

Postby az2004 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:14 am

let's take team tactics in the upcming moscow worlds

the kenyans tend to be surge with the goal to break open the race or soften it up for one of their guys

if the ethiopians can sit and make one move at the end with a superiror kick, the likes of geb or k bekele are the model

salazar has trained rupp and farah to deal with these 2 approaches

rudeisha has a different event the 800, his strength is the key to maintain a very hard pace

the 800 or 10k. having the strength seems to be vital to success
az2004

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:18 am

aaronk wrote:
lovetorun wrote:Agree 100%...dealing with race tactics and learning how to win in any scenerio is much more valuable than just running fast. :)

Hate (or love??? :P ) to have to offer a rebuttal, but.....
isn't "running as fast as you can, especially if you're in GREAT shape and just ran a 3:50.92 mile, and have SUPER confidence in your ability....
isn't running fast from the gun ALSO considered a 'race tactic"??

Seems someone named David Rudisha used just such a "tactic" in his WR OG race a few months ago!!

No, " running fast from the gun ALSO considered a 'race tactic" is a race strategy, not a racing tactic -- as a strategy it works fine when you are much better than your opponents and would likely win anyway. When you are not much better than they are (the situation everyone is in at the top levels) it is almost always a poor strategy.

Rudisha is a cut above the rest and did succeed at the OGs, but the same strategy the next race cost him, didn't it. For him, it is not good strategy to have it go slow so that everyone is still in it with 200 to go, but even there he is reputed to have possibly the best 400 capability and he might do pretty well letting other race plans play out.
26mi235

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 am

26mi235 wrote:No, " running fast from the gun ALSO considered a 'race tactic" is a race strategy, not a racing tactic -- as a strategy it works fine when you are much better than your opponents and would likely win anyway. When you are not much better than they are (the situation everyone is in at the top levels) it is almost always a poor strategy.

Rudisha is a cut above the rest and did succeed at the OGs, but the same strategy the next race cost him, didn't it. For him, it is not good strategy to have it go slow so that everyone is still in it with 200 to go, but even there he is reputed to have possibly the best 400 capability and he might do pretty well letting other race plans play out.

Not to mention the fact that the benefits of drafting for an 800, especially with staggered starts pale in comparison to what benefits you get / or lose in a 5k or 10k. There are simply few guys, if any at the current level who could count on breaking away in top level races. With teamwork sacrificing for their "captain" perhaps, but not individually. Hence most guys waiting until the final 3 or 4 laps to show their strategies.
odelltrclan

Postby az2004 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 am

a championship style race has far more surging than a diamond league race where the pacers are all set out for a fastt race

i prefer the championship race, where you wont know exactly who will do what when, although we tend to know who the sitters are

the daegu 10k, i recollect thinking farah had the race won with 200 to go

a 10k has so many moves, enjoying who makes the early pace, the variety of attempts to

match this up with a diamond league race

the gebremeskel - rupp style race in boston is also a race to enjoy

but neither is 100% now wait till august

and i think thisis RUPP year
az2004

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:23 pm

Marlow wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:Goodness, you posters have finally woken up to Rupp's performance which was totally ignored when I posted on the current thread, called "2013 indoor results" . The next half a dozen or so posts after my drawing attention to Rupps Boston race were all about some athletes a little less significant than what Rupp had achieved. :( Weird lot you posters.!

Well, luckily we have YOU now to keep us abreast of the important stuff . . .

Until Rupp went sub 27 and then won the silver medal, I had great hopes. Now I have great expectations. Now we have this indoor mile to validate those expectations. It will be fascinating to see what he can do this year. He is clearly in wonderful form.
Dave

Postby no one » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 pm

26mi235 wrote:Running a race really fast will demonstrate that he has the wheels but will not really change the fact that he has or does not have the wheels.

I'm not following this ... maybe I'm really getting old (which I am)
no one

Postby Marlow » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:04 pm

no one wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Running a race really fast will demonstrate that he has the wheels but will not really change the fact that he has or does not have the wheels.

That's because 26m had a blotclot occluding his logic-artery. :D
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:34 pm

no one wrote:

He can have 'the wheels' without using a race strategy that specifically displays them; is that better?
26mi235

Postby az2004 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 am

personally, i'll wait till august to see who show what they got that;s when any runner should be 100%

right now, i see races at being prep working on what you need for the big races

rupp and gebremeskel in boston is anticipation for when it counts

and we have a few other guys who we should not discount

farah is still a major factor
az2004

Next