Flotrack vs. LetsRun


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 am

ATK wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:No one is saying they shouldn't charge. But to go from nothing to 20 a month is pretty silly and a poor business decision, considering how little content there is available. This isn't 40 years ago when there were a lot of top quality meets. (By the way, I only pay a few dollars more per month for The New York Times and that includes the print edition.) And especially since their production still seems amateurish. It doesn't even look like they use a tripod. And the announcers are over the top and annoying in my opinion.

And since I really don't think they know what they are doing, giving them my credit card is last on my list of good ideas. I sense cancellation would be not be easy.

Anyways, I wish them luck. But unless they lower their fees alot I think they are doomed.

Your speaking as if you cant enter the site without paying.
90% of their content is free. The other 10% most fans can live without.
Live meet? if you really cant wait a couple hours after to view every race video for free then too bad.
There is no other site that gives as much content as flotrack does...
And you cant expect diamond league, or even TV quality videos at every HS and college meet they attend.


Yes, I realize their non live stuff is free. Though even that was confusing.

And yes, I can wait. So can everyone else. Which makes their business model even sillier. I mean who is dumb enough to pay those ridiculous prices if the race is free a couple hours later.

I do want to point out, I am not complaining. They can charge whatever they want, I don't care at all. I hardly ever watched flotrack live when it was free. I would try to catch something if it was interesting live and had nothing else to do. But that wasn't that often.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 am

eldanielfire wrote:How did this Letsrun vs Flotrack feud start BTW?


What feud?
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 am

Conor Dary wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:How did this Letsrun vs Flotrack feud start BTW?


What feud?


All I've read these past few days is Letsrun posters slagging off the Flotrack bros and the Flotrack Bros have apparently made a video slagging off the Letsrun website.

I'd ask at Letsrun message boards whihc are always quite busy but you can't mention an athlete there without trolls constantly declaring what magic drugs they are ona dn the magic masking agents that Letsrun posters know all about but can't specifically name or talk about how they actually work and Flotrack always so flashly stuff heavy it seems to run waaaaay to slowly for my laptop.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 am

eldanielfire wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:How did this Letsrun vs Flotrack feud start BTW?


What feud?


All I've read these past few days is Letsrun posters slagging off the Flotrack bros and the Flotrack Bros have apparently made a video slagging off the Letsrun website.

I'd ask at Letsrun message boards whihc are always quite busy but you can't mention an athlete there without trolls constantly declaring what magic drugs they are ona dn the magic masking agents that Letsrun posters know all about but can't specifically name or talk about how they actually work and Flotrack always so flashly stuff heavy it seems to run waaaaay to slowly for my laptop.


I want to make it clear I am not defending letsrun. I haven't been there in years.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby az2004 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 am

i took a look at letsrun to see what they had to sayabout the 4:32


there are many opinions out there

if you stay here you tend to get the informed adult opionion

letsrun tends to be far more emotional erratic views, a mix of what's out there

take them as a grain of salt
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby Marlow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 am

az2004 wrote:letsrun
take them as a grain of salt

If by 'grain', you mean this, then yes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Gkuk0p9kMNM/T ... +Small.jpg
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 am

I think highly of Letsrun but NOT the foul mouthed nasty people that exist and infest their Forum. Their coverage across the board is generally fine and the interviews are excellent. The oppo to see and hear the race at Boston and Rupps comments was welcome.

Are the posters who write on Letsrun typical Americans?
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby ATK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:18 am

Conor Dary wrote:Yes, I realize their non live stuff is free. Though even that was confusing.

And yes, I can wait. So can everyone else. Which makes their business model even sillier. I mean who is dumb enough to pay those ridiculous prices if the race is free a couple hours later.

I do want to point out, I am not complaining. They can charge whatever they want, I don't care at all. I hardly ever watched flotrack live when it was free. I would try to catch something if it was interesting live and had nothing else to do. But that wasn't that often.

Again 90% of their site are FREE race videos and interviews. the other 10% is the stuff you pay for that most track fans can do without.
If you hardly ever watched flotrack, why are you commenting so much just to be negative towards them in the first place?
If you did follow flotrack for the past couple years, you would realize that basically nothing has changed except maybe the site layout. Most of the content is pretty much the same and as free as ever
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:28 am

lionelp1 wrote:I think highly of Letsrun but NOT the foul mouthed nasty people that exist and infest their Forum. Their coverage across the board is generally fine and the interviews are excellent. The oppo to see and hear the race at Boston and Rupps comments was welcome.

Are the posters who write on Letsrun typical Americans?

They're typical anonymous internet posters.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby Marlow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 am

Are the posters who write on Letsrun typical Americans?
They're typical anonymous internet posters.

Of the younger, more obnoxious kind.
I do agree the home-page of Letsrun is a cornucopia of great stuff. There is also valuable content in the Message Board, but the signal-to-noise ration is so low, that it's barely worth the effort to find it.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby TN1965 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 pm

lionelp1 wrote:I think highly of Letsrun but NOT the foul mouthed nasty people that exist and infest their Forum. Their coverage across the board is generally fine and the interviews are excellent. The oppo to see and hear the race at Boston and Rupps comments was welcome.

Are the posters who write on Letsrun typical Americans?


That's what happens when people are allowed to post without registration, and the moderator cannot punish them by suspending their access. Something to keep in mind whenever you are suspended on this forum... :mrgreen:
TN1965
 
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: Flotrack vs. LetsRun

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:52 pm

lionelp1 wrote:I think highly of Letsrun but NOT the foul mouthed nasty people that exist and infest their Forum. Their coverage across the board is generally fine and the interviews are excellent. The oppo to see and hear the race at Boston and Rupps comments was welcome.

Are the posters who write on Letsrun typical Americans?


There is greater interest in high school and college side of the sport, especially in cross country. The material that is slow to develop here is primary fodder on LR. They usually have an active thread on any big marathon (Boston, NYC, Berlin, London, WCs, OGs,...) as well as on some XC races and 10,000s.

You have to separate out the wheat from the chaff and they seem to moderate the boards a little bit more fully than they used to (example, the cut out a lot of speculation on Hadsell resigning) and the use of bad language has diminished.

It is no contest which venue I prefer most, but LR does have a place.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 18 guests