Who's touring Australia


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:55 pm

I know I should look at our website, but that would be too simple, (and possibly a complete waste of time), but does anyone know which international athletes are coming out this Feb & March and at which cities they will compete at ??
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Well, Neely Spence (daughter of WC Marathon Bronze Steve S) ran the Zatopek race; from the link on the Home Page of 10 US up-and-comers (distances):

Most recently, she competed as part of the U.S. team at the Chiba Ekiden Relay in Japan this past December, and followed that with a win at the Zatopek 10,000m run in Melbourne, Australia, making her the first American woman to win the event.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16334
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

The only name I can recall seeing so far is Pistorious:

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/n ... scar_pisto
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby Athleticsimaging » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 am

Rudisha is likely to come back as well. He believes that the Australian season has been part of his success and doesn't want to try something different.
Athleticsimaging
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:58 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby gh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 am

and Rudisha's manager is an Aussie, so that doesn't hurt.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby andyjgt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:06 am

While I don't support Pistorius running in the majors (and certainly not on a middle leg of the relay), I'd love him and Rudisha to duke it out in an invitational over 600 and the winner set a big WR. (And btw, if that winner is Pistorius, will the WR count?!)
andyjgt
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Deepest Polynesia

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:39 pm

Allyson Felix was in Sydney last week, bit alas it was simply a holiday and she's heading back to the US already...

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/n ... spiration_
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:06 pm

this is pretty amazing, the AA website is showing the meet days, these are only a few months away, and no confirmations as to which internationals are competing, ... imagine if the Diamond League was run that way

the attitude of ... shrug, "if you don't like it where else are you going to go" ..(because of our geographical isolation) .. well right now womens amatuer "roller game" sounds better, at least they know how to promote and put on a show ..

thanks again AA

and "go Unicorns" ...
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby gh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Oz is in a (very) tough spot in trying to attract big-name internationals, its being way out of season for the bulk of the world's athletes. And an ugly flight for those who might be interested.

Combine that with a minimal/nonexistent budget for bringing people in and they pretty much have to rely on those athletes who are looking for a different training experience and happen to be around.

If an athlete is active at that time of year, do they want a shorter flight (or no flight at all) with vastly better pay to compete in Europe, or go Down Under? Pretty much a lose-lose for you guys, unfortunately.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Asafa Powell is down to run in Melbourne on Apr 6 (and in Stawell on grass the previous weekend)

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/n ... ell_confir

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-06/c ... ft/4503804

Others heading our way are:
Valerie Adams
Sunette Viljoen
Cornel Fredericks

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/n ... dericks_ad

I'm guessing Oscar Pistorius will be a no show now...
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 pm

A fewer mid-tier internationals are showing up on startlists downunder:

Susan Kuijken (NED - PRs 800m 2:02.24, 1500m 4:05.86)
Jernail Hayes (USA - 400m 52.66, 400mH 56.30)
Claire Gibson (UK - 800m 2.01.34)
Nick McCormick (UK - 1500m 3:35.74, Mile 3:52.02)
Paul Robinson (IRL - 1500m 3:37.91)
Zhao Qinggang (CHN - Jav 81.74)
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Steve Lewis is also down here to take on training partner Hooker:

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/n ... v_lewis_in
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby iain » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 pm

andyjgt wrote:While I don't support Pistorius running in the majors (and certainly not on a middle leg of the relay), I'd love him and Rudisha to duke it out in an invitational over 600 and the winner set a big WR. (And btw, if that winner is Pistorius, will the WR count?!)


So much has changed :(
iain
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Greg Rutherford heading down for some clashes with Mitchell Watt (including perhaps over 100m):

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/athletic ... 2eupb.html

Watt is taking it sensibly:

''In terms of the head-to-head stuff, getting one back on him, I'm not too fussed about that,'' he said. ''I think it was something like 7-1 before the Olympics. Meeting him six months out from the world champs isn't really going to benefit either of us. It will just be good to get that competitiveness back.''
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Thinking of flying down to Melbourne to see Powell, but as it will dent the bank a bit, would like to know who else among our finest will be there

Is Sally running in the 100m or 200m ??

Is Mitchell jumping or running ??

Is Benn and / Dani throwing, and is anyone coming out to compete with them ??

Steve vaulting ??

of yeah and does anyone at AA read this board or even care ...
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby norunner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 pm

GMH454 wrote:this is pretty amazing, the AA website is showing the meet days, these are only a few months away, and no confirmations as to which internationals are competing, ... imagine if the Diamond League was run that way
Have you ever been on the webpage of a Diamond League meeting a week to ten days before the meet? No starting lists at all, those only show up during the last week before the meet.
norunner
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby El Toro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 pm

GMH454 wrote:of yeah and does anyone at AA read this board or even care ...


They are probably focusing on setting up their "Integrity Unit" following the ASADA/ACC song and dance. (Not joking - this was in the paper this morning :? )
El Toro
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Sydney startlists (March 9) are up:
http://www.athletics.com.au/freestyler/ ... 270213.pdf

Pearson is set to 100/200m double. Watt is LJing, Hooker is PVing, Samuels in DT

Notable new internationals in mix:
Jasmin Chaney US w400mH (PR 55.22, WC rep in 2011)
Cleopatra Borel TRI wSP
Calesio Newman US m100m/200m (PR 10.07, 20.28)
Rabah Yusif SUD m400m (PR 45.13, OG sf 2012)
Ismail Ahmed Ismail m800m (PR 1.43.82, OG silver 2008)
Nick Willias NZL m1500m
Michaël Bultheel BEL m400mH (PR 49.10, OG sf 2012)
Labronze Garrett US m400mH (PR 48.61)
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 pm

norunner wrote:
GMH454 wrote:this is pretty amazing, the AA website is showing the meet days, these are only a few months away, and no confirmations as to which internationals are competing, ... imagine if the Diamond League was run that way
Have you ever been on the webpage of a Diamond League meeting a week to ten days before the meet? No starting lists at all, those only show up during the last week before the meet.


good point, but how many meets do you have in the European continent featuring international athletes,

In the Australian continent (bit drier I know but around same size) we have one, not too hard to workout schedules in advance
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:32 pm

GMH454 wrote:this is pretty amazing, the AA website is showing the meet days, these are only a few months away, and no confirmations as to which internationals are competing, ... imagine if the Diamond League was run that way


The Melbourne meeting is still almost six weeks away. Given Watt, Pearson, Hooker, Samuels, Harradine (hopefully) have long Euro seasons in front of them, and are just starting to dip their competitive toes in the water, it is pretty unrealistic to think that AA has locked them in at all yet for Melbourne.

And there are 3 meetings before then (Syd, Perth, Brissie).

Nevertheless, here's what it says on the AA page about Melbourne:
Descending on and Melbourne on 6 April, the 2013 Tour will welcome Olympic hurdles champion Sally Pearson and a bounty of her Australian Flame counterparts including London 2012 long jump silver medallist Mitchell Watt, Australian pole vault record holders Steve Hooker and Alana Boyd, former world champion Dani Samuels and IAAF World Indoor Championships silver medallist Henry Frayne
.

Events on offer that might match their skillsets (in order):
Pearson: Women 100m, Women 200m
Watt: Men 100m, Men LJ
Hooker: Men Pole Vault
Boyd: Women Pole Vault
Samuels: Women Discus Throw
Frayne: Men LJ

Men's Discus is on, so let's hope for Benn (it'd be great if they flew the in-form Wruck over from LA, but that's unlikely).

As for the internationals, I suspect it's hard to sustain any hype about any of the likely attendees (even Rudisha has struggled to keep media attention when down under in the past few years). Given the Melbourne event line-up, I'm guessing we'll see Viljoen, Steve Lewis, Greg Rutherford and a few of the 400m/400mH folks. Alas no Women's SP, so no Adams or Borel...

You'll just have to be patient.
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:23 pm

http://www.facebook.com/#!/AustralianAt ... ur?fref=ts

if you check the comment by Terry Gibbs (smile) you will see they are going to post something soon ...

hopefully by next Friday (Sydney) or the latest 5th April..
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby El Toro » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Pearson out of Sydney due to a hamstring strain in training.
El Toro
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Sydney should be a good night (hope no NRL game is on at the same time )

but no mention of Mitch Watt in the 100m or LJ


http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/n ... ready_to_l

at least we get the T & F N Female athlete of the year.,
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:48 pm

It's a shame about Watt (isn't on startlists anymore).

New internationals added:

Brad Walker USA PV (so we have Lewis vs Hooker vs Walker)
Ignisious Gaisah GHA LJ
Jeshua Anderson USA 400mH
Fawn Dorr CAN w400mH (55.57 PR)
Jasmin Chaney USA w100mH & w400mH (13.15, 55.22 PRs)

And seemingly every male sprinter from Hong Kong...

http://www.athletics.com.au/freestyler/ ... 060313.pdf
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:42 pm

and no NRL game.

it seemed it was on the same night as the St. George v Rabittos game as long as I can remember.

took longer to get out of the car park than for me to run a 10k (think very slow stone)
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 am

What's Michelle Jenneke doing.......athletically??

I know all about her SI photo shoot, her dance routine, etc etc....

but I'm asking about her RACING schedule!!

Has she RUN anything during the Australian summer season yet??
Is she scheduled for any races??
aaronk
 
Posts: 3359
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby Master Po » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:17 am

aaronk wrote:What's Michelle Jenneke doing.......athletically??

I know all about her SI photo shoot, her dance routine, etc etc....

but I'm asking about her RACING schedule!!

Has she RUN anything during the Australian summer season yet??
Is she scheduled for any races??


I'm no expert, and moreover am on the wrong side of the planet to know anything (probably true in general...), but here's what all-athletics.com has to say about Jenneke's 2013 season so far:

100mH
12 January Sydney NSW Club Ch. 14.75 +1.5
Discus Throw
23 February 2013 Sydney NSW Allcomers 27.61

I'll leave it to others to explain what it all means. :)
Master Po
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:14 am

Master Po wrote:
aaronk wrote:What's Michelle Jenneke doing.......athletically??

I know all about her SI photo shoot, her dance routine, etc etc....

but I'm asking about her RACING schedule!!

Has she RUN anything during the Australian summer season yet??
Is she scheduled for any races??


I'm no expert, and moreover am on the wrong side of the planet to know anything (probably true in general...), but here's what all-athletics.com has to say about Jenneke's 2013 season so far:

100mH
12 January Sydney NSW Club Ch. 14.75 +1.5
Discus Throw
23 February 2013 Sydney NSW Allcomers 27.61

I'll leave it to others to explain what it all means. :)


She's entered in the 100H in the Sydney Classic!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3359
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 pm

aaronk wrote:
She's entered in the 100H in the Sydney Classic!!


Which is when; sometimes it is very easy to supply the information rather than some related piece of information that is not of as much interest. There were a number of posts recent say X and won and Y was second i the 400 --- but was it in 51.1 or 54.1; it makes a whole lot of difference in a non-tactical event like the sprints.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16334
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:04 pm

26mi235 wrote:
aaronk wrote:
She's entered in the 100H in the Sydney Classic!!


Which is when; sometimes it is very easy to supply the information rather than some related piece of information that is not of as much interest. There were a number of posts recent say X and won and Y was second i the 400 --- but was it in 51.1 or 54.1; it makes a whole lot of difference in a non-tactical event like the sprints.


Sorry, but not quite sure what you're saying....or asking.
Are you asking the DATE of the Sydney Classic?
It's March 9th....2 days from now.
If you're asking the entrants, go to the schedule on the front page, click on the Sydney Classic, then on entrants list.

Jenneke is one of 8 women in the race.
One American is in it....Jasmine Chaney.
aaronk
 
Posts: 3359
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:18 pm

aaronk wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
aaronk wrote:
She's entered in the 100H in the Sydney Classic!!


Which is when; sometimes it is very easy to supply the information rather than some related piece of information that is not of as much interest. There were a number of posts recent say X and won and Y was second i the 400 --- but was it in 51.1 or 54.1; it makes a whole lot of difference in a non-tactical event like the sprints.


Sorry, but not quite sure what you're saying....or asking.
Are you asking the DATE of the Sydney Classic?
It's March 9th....2 days from now.
If you're asking the entrants, go to the schedule on the front page, click on the Sydney Classic, then on entrants list.

Jenneke is one of 8 women in the race.
One American is in it....Jasmine Chaney.


And, 26mi235, most of the info is in this thread if you read it closely (e.g. for example, there is a link to the startlists about 5 posts up... and the list has the meet date at the top!).

Here are the other upcoming Aussie meeting dates:

Sydney Track Classic March 09
AUSTRALIAN JUNIOR ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS March 14 (Perth)
Perth Track Classic March 16
Queensland Track Classic March 23 (Brisbane)
Melbourne World Challenge April 06
AUSTRALIAN ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS April 11 (Sydney)

And here's some more media on the underdiscussed Ms. Jenneke (turns out she's also pretty academic): http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6592824712
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby Vault-emort » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Is this the most underwhelming start list for an IAAF meet ever in Australia? :oops:

http://t.co/XYVoIYP3oE
Vault-emort
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:42 am
Location: In the pits

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby El Toro » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Vault-emort wrote:Is this the most underwhelming start list for an IAAF meet ever in Australia? :oops:

http://t.co/XYVoIYP3oE


Yeah, women's sprints are a bit, um, well, um.....sparse?

The worst thing is that we now know that Rudisha will have a disastrous season because he's not running the 400 like he has most years! In fact, no Kenyans at all, unless Benjamin Limo changed his name to Ashkettle. :P
El Toro
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:39 pm

I admit I am prone to exageration, but that is a truley underwhelming entry list.

think Sydney had a better turn out and I was disappointed there.

Sydney had three more ex world champs, Val, Steve Hooker and Walker.

at Least Dani is going, hope she gets a good one

can't really drub up much pre meet publicity with that listing

good luck to all of you and hope you all do well, just hope you get a decent crowd
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Asafa Powell OUT (hamstring strain at Stawell Gift), Wallace Spearmon IN for Melbourne meeting:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/athletic ... 2h58n.html

It certainly is the weakest set of fields I can recall for this venerable meeting. Pearson's injury hasn't helped, along with uncertainty about Watt (he did jump at Qld champs over the weekend), and Hooker's retreat from competition.

But thankfully a Kenyan of considerable pedigree has been added: Japhet Korir (IAAF World Cross Country Champion) in the 5000m.

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/n ... d_for_qant

Other noteworthy internationals in Melb that mightn't have been mentioned here yet:
Mary Saxer (USA-wPV) - coming off 4.60i a month ago
Dusty Jonas (USA - mHJ) - coming 2.34i in Feb
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:14 pm

the meet had little but at least it had Powell..

for a guy who is relativley fragile, having him run on grass (from the eye of the uneductaed) does not appear a smart decision
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby Speedster » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 am

GMH454 wrote:the meet had little but at least it had Powell..

for a guy who is relativley fragile, having him run on grass (from the eye of the uneductaed) does not appear a smart decision


I thought of exactly the same thing, given the difference of running at speed on a synthetic track vs grass - I have seen footage of MVP athletes training on grass but more conditioning work. Also Powell through rounds chasing people under pressure has never been a strength of his running, I always felt the semis would be where his Stawell Gift ended.
Speedster
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: London

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby AS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Extensive previews of tomorrow night's meeting here:

http://runnerstribe-statscentral.com/me ... -it-count/
http://runnerstribe-statscentral.com/me ... nt-part-2/

New internationals added:
Calvin Smith Jr (USA)- m400m
James Magut & Vincent Mutai (KEN) - m1500m
Agatha Jeruto Kimaswai (KEN) - w800m
AS
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Who's touring Australia

Postby GMH454 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:03 pm

and on to the nationals ....

Rutherford's jump was the meet highlight (????!!!!!!)

if some one had told me this would be the 2013 meet a few years ago I would have laughed,

very sad
GMH454
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nztrackfan and 14 guests