Change implements instead of wiping out old records

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Change implements instead of wiping out old records

Postby GHM » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm

I suggest changes in the weight of throwing implements in T&F.

Men shot put from 7.260 kg to 7.3 kg, same as men hammer
Women shot put from 4.0 kg to 4.1 kg, same for ladies hammer
Men discus from 2.0 kg to 2.1 kg
Women discus from 1.0 kg to 1.1 kg
Men Javelin from 800g to 900 or 1.0 kg and women to 700g

What do you think? We can get brand new records starting 2014.

Negatives: I am weightlifting fan. International Weightlifting Federation changed weight divisions twice after 1992 Olympics and basically got rid of all old records. Those of you who are fans know for example Yurik VARDANYAN's WRs in 82.5 kg from 1980 are far superior than any recent records by 85 kg lifters!
GHM

Re: Change implements instead of wiping out old records

Postby pakillo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:51 am

and women's 400m to 395m :roll:
pakillo

Postby KDFINE » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 am

Changing distances would be the easiest, just go to yards (though the size of tracks would create problems). The toughest events to "change" would be the horizontal jumps.
KDFINE

Postby gh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:33 am

They already changed the PV markedly by fiddling with the the peg configuration. So much so that they probably should have started a new WR list there.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:38 am

gh wrote:They already changed the PV markedly by fiddling with the the peg configuration. So much so that they probably should have started a new WR list there.

Yea, that wouldn't have confused anyone. :lol:
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Halfmiler2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Revising the women's hurdles makes sense for other reasons as well.
Ditto replacing the heptathlon with a women's decathlon.
Of course, it would probably have to be done at the start of the next Olympiad - 2017.
Halfmiler2

Postby pakillo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:33 pm

I would take into consideration height of the women's 400m hurdles- 4cm higher would be OK and also 2cm down for men's 110. Not because I'm so eager to watch records.
pakillo

Postby Per Andersen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Don't fiddle with the women's Jav. 600g is just fine and Spotakovas WR is just about 4 years old.

Adding 100grams to the men's jav would be brutal. Why do we need a WR in the high 70s. (255ft)?

It's not that important to erase Jan's record. We just need a couple of guys up in the 90's again.(over 300ft) and the exitement is back.
Per Andersen

Postby gh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 am

Conor Dary wrote:
gh wrote:They already changed the PV markedly by fiddling with the the peg configuration. So much so that they probably should have started a new WR list there.

Yea, that wouldn't have confused anyone. :lol:

real fans don't get confused, and there are so few casual fans anymore—and those with limited attentions spans—that if you tomorrow announced a new PV world record for Lavillenie (whomever) it's my belief it would bring very beneficial attention to the sport.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:50 am

Well, I consider myself a real fan, and the idea of dumping all of the old PV records because they changed the pegs seems a bit weird. It seems to me the only difference from before is if you knock the bar. If you clear the bar cleanly, then it is the same.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 am

I'm totally down with raising the women's hurdle heights and replacing the wHep with a wDec, but the PV problem is getting rid of Bubka, who really was the best. I would love to look at videos of his WR jumps and see how many he made cleanly, which means the peg changes did nothing.
Marlow

Postby gh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:22 am

Conor Dary wrote:Well, I consider myself a real fan, and the idea of dumping all of the old PV records because they changed the pegs seems a bit weird. It seems to me the only difference from before is if you knock the bar. If you clear the bar cleanly, then it is the same.

I can't say this with 100% accuracy, but I've seen claims that you could keep Bubka has WR holder because his clearance is 100% clean. Not sure about at heights leading up to that though.
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 am

gh wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Well, I consider myself a real fan, and the idea of dumping all of the old PV records because they changed the pegs seems a bit weird. It seems to me the only difference from before is if you knock the bar. If you clear the bar cleanly, then it is the same.

I can't say this with 100% accuracy, but I've seen claims that you could keep Bubka has WR holder because his clearance is 100% clean. Not sure about at heights leading up to that though.

As 'fragile' as the new pegs and bar ends (semi-circular on top, so they roll off easier if flipped) are, you can still give them a jolt and the bar can stay on. Just because old clearances weren't 'clean' doesn't mean they'd be misses today. My WAG is that about 25% of what used to be a make is now a miss - significant but hardly calling for new records.
Marlow

IAAF should conduct survers for SP and DT

Postby GHM » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:22 am

I used 100 g added weight because it was easy to do mathematical addition.

1. Shot put records (women and men) could easily be modified with a few grams added to the weight. I am positive most athletes will welcome this. I suggest IAAF conduct a survey. In a few year athletes may reach a new record and we do not see any improvement. Same situation with discuss.

2. It seems most fans want women javelin and hammer not to be touched, ditto with men Jav. but men Hammer could be modified. Survey again.

3. Women 100H could be changed to 110H or the heights could be modified. Women 400H is relativity new event and IMO no change is required.

4. OFF TOPIC: Allow only two try for each height in HJ and PV.
GHM