Bowermans

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Bowermans

Postby ATK » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Marlow wrote:
ATK wrote:Seems more like you were saying the AOY takes to long to be announced as well...
I think the AOY is announced in a timely manner. Considering the outdoor season can end anywhere between early sep and late oct(maybe even later) depending on the year.
But having the college season end in june, and announcing the college "AOY" when some of thoes athletes have already started the indoor season is pretty rediculous. Especially if nothing between NCAA's and the announcement is supposed to count.

The outdoor season ended (effectively, i.e., there are no more significant data points thereafter) on Sep 7 with the last GP/GL meet. Over three and a half months ago.

Whats your definition of significant? Rieti was on the 9th...

The point is pretty clear though. The Bowerman is announced way to late for what the award is meant for.
ATK

Re: Bowermans

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:
Marlow wrote:The outdoor season ended (effectively, i.e., there are no more significant data points thereafter) on Sep 7 with the last GP/GL meet. Over three and a half months ago.

What about all the fall marathons? I believe the marathon does count for T&FN's AOY.

I already noted that exception. T&FN used to list that separately after the annual issue .

They did the event separately, but for AOY they cannot readily do that. Thus, fall marathons can have an impact. Baseball's awards occur not that long after the season, and similarly with football (American) and basketball.
26mi235

Previous