T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bushop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 pm

dj wrote:... the "moment" of celebrating the triple is only when he wins the last race.

Agreed.
bushop

Postby lonewolf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:29 pm

dj wrote:I say, if you're picking a double or a triple or a quadruple, it's the last win that's the "moment."

(This would help make the counting easier!)

That is my concept of moment also.
lonewolf

Postby berkeley » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Conor Dary wrote:As impressive as Rudisha was my favorite moment was when the Olympics were history. No more fiddling around with web connections, etc. And forget watching it on TV. I use to really love watching the Olympics but the frustrations in watching these days have left me empty.

That's sad. Your are hereby excommunicated from T&F fandom.
As much as we complain about them, aren't the options today infinitely better than they were 20 years ago, when the only one was NBC's broadcast followed by a 6 week wait for T&FN's print edition ?
berkeley

Postby jhc68 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:58 pm

This year's men's 800 was the most awesome competition, IMHO.

But as for my personal favorite moment: Nothing will ever top the '64 men's 10K... "here comes Mills, here comes Mills !!!"

Favorite moment I witnessed in person: El Caballo's double.
jhc68

Postby Powell » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:06 am

lonewolf wrote:A moment is a moment..one event, which might include multiple people (relay) but no cumulative/multiple moments ascribed to one person.

Look at USATF's list of top 25 moments in their history:
http://www.usatf.org/promotions/Top25Moments/

Their no. 3 'moment' was something that lasted 10 years :D
Powell

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 am

I'm going to play it by ear and maybe talk to individual voters before adding up anything that may be contentious

I just don't want 'moments' that a lot of people favour to be low ranked because everyone chose specifics

Does that sound fair ?
Last edited by mump boy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Athleticsimaging » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:56 am

You might want to consider using an online survey like www.surveygizmo.com to make things easier.

You can set up different types of questions easily and download into excel if you want. This is the only survey site that allows downloads with their free account as far as I know.

It does limit it to 50 responses per month per project but the 14 day trial gives you unlimited responses.
Athleticsimaging

Postby Rog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:05 am

Can we include Paralympic as well as Olympic athletics?
Rog

Postby Gabriella » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:40 am

Rog, I would say so, rather than do a separate Paralympic thread.

For me, a moment is whatever the viewer defines; so for some, Bolt's 100m WR might be their moment, but for others his triple. If someone wants to list Bolt's individual acconplishments then let them, it doesn't really matter trying to strictly define what is what, it's more the general fun.

I have so many it's hard to choose again :? There are some moments that were the outcome of following an athlete for years, investing time following their careers, such as HD's wins in 92 and 00, but then there are others that were just amazing races/clashes that will go down in history (Coe v Ovett) or hyped up and antipated (Johnson v Lewis)

I need to think these through. Time to stop work, get a coffee and drift off into my athletics dream world.... :)
Gabriella

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:52 am

Paralympics are included
mump boy

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:19 am

mump boy wrote:I'm going to play it by ear and maybe talk to individual voters before adding up anything that may be contentious

I just don't want 'moments' that a lot of people favour to be low ranked because everyone chose specifics

Does that sound fair ?

Yes, I'd say you should use the judge's prerogative and streamline certain/most/all submissions to fit your Gestalt.
Pego

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:03 am

If you take Zatopeks great treble in @52 it was not a great moment to have seen him win either the 5 or 10 K , probably his first Marathon, yes , but clearly the great "moment" was the act of chalking up all three in a week.... lets call it a "culmination" moment. However should not the rules clearly state that any "moment" must be in the same Games... so for example if ones favourite moment was when Oerter won his 4th gold or Lewis won his 4th LJ Gold the culmination was the moment when they actually in one games achieved a fourth in a row... am I making myself clear? Mump , your thoughts?
Last edited by lionelp1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lionelp1

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 am

Is it being too bolshie to request posters to give the reasons why they chose the particular "moments" after they have done so on PM but of course in the TFNForum.
lionelp1

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 am

Rog wrote:Can we include Paralympic as well as Olympic athletics?

Do that and you might as well include gymnastics, swimming, whatever. I would posit for the great majority of people, the Paralympics is as far removed from the general thrust of our sport as are those other disciplines.
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 am

gh wrote:Do that and you might as well include gymnastics, swimming, whatever. I would posit for the great majority of people, the Paralympics is as far removed from the general thrust of our sport as are those other disciplines.

I may get booed off the stage here, but what I've seen of the Paralympics (not a lot), it seems like we have the Blade Runner issue in spades: everyone has a slightly different version of the 'limitation' and so it isn't a 'fair' competition.
Marlow

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 am

lionelp1 wrote:Is it being too bolshie to request posters to give the reasons why they chose the particular "moments" after they have done so on PM but of course in the TFNForum.

I don't know about "bolshie," but I suspect it would remove a lot of the fun from it for some people. Somethings are wonderful just because they are, and any attempt to explain it only diminishes the magic.
gh

Postby dj » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:11 am

Powell wrote:
lonewolf wrote:A moment is a moment..one event, which might include multiple people (relay) but no cumulative/multiple moments ascribed to one person.

Look at USATF's list of top 25 moments in their history:
http://www.usatf.org/promotions/Top25Moments/

Their no. 3 'moment' was something that lasted 10 years :D

Some problems with a streak as a moment. It's cumulative, thus the last marker in the streak is the "moment" for that streak. Or, one can choose either the moment at which the previous record was tied or broken.

When DiMaggio hit in 56 straight games, which game became the one most talked about? The 56th game, the 44th when he tied Willie Keeler's record, the 45th when he broke the record, or the streak-ending 57th game? It's the 57th game, which is about the only reason a current baseball fan has ever heard of Ken Keltner.

Do you remember Moses's last win or that Danny Harris beat him to end the streak? And do you even know what the previous 400H streak record was and who held it?
dj

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am

lionelp1 wrote:If you take Zatopeks great treble in @52 it was not a great moment to have seen him win either the 5 or 10 K , probably his first Marathon, yes , but clearly the great "moment" was the act of chalking up all three in a week.... lets call it a "culmination" moment. However should not the rules clearly state that any "moment" must be in the same Games... so for example if ones favourite moment was when Oerter won his 4th gold or Lewis won his 4th LJ Gold the culmination was the moment when they actually in one games achieved a fourth in a row... am I making myself clear? Mump , your thoughts?

Perfectly clear and agreed
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:52 am

lionelp1 wrote:Is it being too bolshie to request posters to give the reasons why they chose the particular "moments" after they have done so on PM but of course in the TFNForum.

That's the whole point of the thread, i hope everyone will tell us why they chose specific moments and start discussions :D
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 am

gh wrote:
Rog wrote:Can we include Paralympic as well as Olympic athletics?

Do that and you might as well include gymnastics, swimming, whatever. I would posit for the great majority of people, the Paralympics is as far removed from the general thrust of our sport as are those other disciplines.

I agree but in the spirit of equality i see no problem in a few people naming Paralympic moments. I can't imagine there will be many
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:54 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:Do that and you might as well include gymnastics, swimming, whatever. I would posit for the great majority of people, the Paralympics is as far removed from the general thrust of our sport as are those other disciplines.

I may get booed off the stage here, but what I've seen of the Paralympics (not a lot), it seems like we have the Blade Runner issue in spades: everyone has a slightly different version of the 'limitation' and so it isn't a 'fair' competition.

This ^ x 10
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:57 am

gh wrote:

I don't know about "bolshie," but I suspect it would remove a lot of the fun from it for some people. Somethings are wonderful just because they are, and any attempt to explain it only diminishes the magic.

The whole point is to encourage discussion, i'd love to hear people's reasons for their favourite moments but there is no compulsion to contribute anything other than your list
mump boy

Postby preston » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 am

mump boy wrote:
gh wrote:

The whole point is to encourage discussion, i'd love to hear people's reasons for their favourite moments but there is no compulsion to contribute anything other than your list

The why is very important.

Example: I rank Fani Halkia's 2004 Athens win very high and Mump can't rank it low enough. It's that type of contrast where I can "equate" that win in my mind to Mo's double or his 10k win or even the reshuffling of the order so Brits could sing the national anthem to close the night in Mumps!
preston

Postby Daisy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:12 am

mump boy wrote:The whole point is to encourage discussion, i'd love to hear people's reasons for their favourite moments

I agree, and no one is forced to do it.
Daisy

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:24 am

color me an unrepentant elitist; if somebody's choice doesn't resonate ("make sense") off the top, then I really don't care why you liked it; it's obviously a personal reason that is little interest to the masses.
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 am

I would think that if one of the top moments was commented on it would both be interesting and not overwhelming. I would think that either #1 or a relatively unusual selection would be the most interesting to read (e.g., one seen in person or some personal connection).
26mi235

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:35 pm

the Grinch must have stolen my Xmas spirit.

I find the thought of somebody's "personal connection" for a major Olympic moment to be the track equivalent of being at a friend's house and hearing the dreaded "have you seen the slides of our vacation?"
gh

Postby preston » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:51 pm

gh wrote:the Grinch must have stolen my Xmas spirit.

I find the thought of somebody's "personal connection" for a major Olympic moment to be the track equivalent of being at a friend's house and hearing the dreaded "have you seen the slides of our vacation?"

Yup, makes sense. Personal connection is overblown; everyone should feel the same way :?

-John Walker? He only won one 15...at least 20 others just like him, right?
-Daley Thompson? So...
-imagine all the people wondering what Peter Norman is doing up there with Carlos and Smith
-Benoit Samuelson...just another Marathoner right?
-Moses? Come on, the guy came out of nowhere! Morehouse?
-Wilma Rudolph? And? was she even first?
-Liu winning a gold in 110h. China has a billion people. Surely they could find one with top sprint ability, right?

You're right, gh! It's all about the numbers...the personal is superfluous. OK, everybody, you don't have to note the why! :roll:
preston

Postby kuha » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:16 pm

But your original comment was more true than not. Explanations of these things are basically tautologies: I really like this because....I really like it. The reasons range from the objectively obvious to personal stuff that won't mean anything to anyone else.
kuha

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:46 pm

If people would like to post their reasons great, if they don't then don't !!
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I like to read the rationales as I sometimes see a perspective I had not thought about before.
Daisy

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Point taken, and mostly I agree. I don't think I can justify putting a guy winning HJ silver on the list even if his two younger brothers happen to currently be students of mine (Kynard). On the other hand, I can easily justify putting Dave Wottle's win on the list, and I'll secretly give him extra points because he ran for my alma mater.

On a larger scale, giving preference to a great moment just because of the nationality of the person in question is still on some level a "personal" connection, and I can't imagine that any of us have a problem with that.

Also, no one under 40 even knows what a slide is anymore. :wink:
Mighty Favog

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:

Point taken, and mostly I agree. I don't think I can justify putting a guy winning HJ silver on the list even if his two younger brothers happen to currently be students of mine (Kynard). On the other hand, I can easily justify putting Dave Wottle's win on the list, and I'll secretly give him extra points because he ran for my alma mater.

On a larger scale, giving preference to a great moment just because of the nationality of the person in question is still on some level a "personal" connection, and I can't imagine that any of us have a problem with that.

Also, no one under 40 even knows what a slide is anymore. :wink:

There's no problem with voting for something very personal (like you know the person) just as long as your list is not full of them

We're definitely going to have a rule limiting votes to only half for your own country though

I'm still undecided if to ask for list of 10 or 20
mump boy

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:42 pm

mump boy wrote:I'm still undecided if to ask for list of 10 or 20

I vote for 10. It becomes much less clear after that.
Pego

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Pego wrote:
mump boy wrote:I'm still undecided if to ask for list of 10 or 20

I vote for 10. It becomes much less clear after that.

Also MUCH more work

You've persuaded me :D
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:17 pm

gh wrote:color me an unrepentant elitist; if somebody's choice doesn't resonate ("make sense") off the top, then I really don't care why you liked it; it's obviously a personal reason that is little interest to the masses.

In that case you may as well close the whole forum :?
Flumpy

Postby bushop » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 pm

gh wrote:I find the thought of somebody's "personal connection" for a major Olympic moment to be...

... a way for novices like myself and my athletes to learn about the specialness of Olympic moments we had no previos knowledge of... a track & field history lesson.
bushop

Postby Flumpy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Exacty.

There are going to be loads of moments in my list that won't make any sense at all without an explanation.

Not every 'favourite' moment is going to be a gold medal or WR.

Personally I vote for 20. I could easily come up with 50 so whittling it down to 10 will be impossible + more moments means less fun :D
Flumpy

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Flumpy wrote:
gh wrote:color me an unrepentant elitist; if somebody's choice doesn't resonate ("make sense") off the top, then I really don't care why you liked it; it's obviously a personal reason that is little interest to the masses.

In that case you may as well close the whole forum :?

Bah, humbug! Where's Tiny Tim so I can kick his crutch out from under him? (I could learn to like this crusty curmudgeon stuff :twisted: )
gh

Postby ExCoastRanger » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:13 pm

mump boy wrote:We're definitely going to have a rule limiting votes to only half for your own country though....

That seems like it has the potential making of a list of some personal favorites, plus some others that had to be listed just to complete the list.
ExCoastRanger

Next