T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 am

rhymans wrote:This is so diffiult. I've gone for 1 moment per Games with a few notes:


Pleas don't post them here. Can you delete this and PM me instead

Can you also put them on your preferred order from

20th -1 point to 1st - 20 points

thanks
Last edited by mump boy on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Daisy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 am

mump boy wrote:
rhymans wrote:This is so diffiult.........And if I look at video tomorrow the choices would be quite different


Pleas don't post them here. Can you delete this and PM me instead

Although, it will live on in your reply. I like rhymans approach of one per games.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Flumpy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 am

mump doesn't know how to edit a post.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 am

Sent mine :)
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Flumpy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:31 am

Mump has asked me to let you know that as he cannot get onto T&FN at the moment, and it seems like others are having the same problem, he's extending the time period you have to voten until the end of New Year's Day.

That's 24:00 hours GMT on Tuesday 1st of Jan 2013.

He's also requested that people please read the rules before sending him their lists. He's getting lots which don't have years noted or are in no specific order etc. It's pretty straighforward so have a look here and then PM him accordingly.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48596&start=60#p807435
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Fortius19 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Wow,

Just sent mine in thinking I was too late (but doing it anyway :roll: ).

Glad to be able to be included.

Big Thanks to mump for the idea and all the work involved! :mrgreen:
Fortius19
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:18 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Flumpy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:04 am

Mump still can't get on. Each page is blocked when he tries to do anything.

He's going to leave this open until further notice so anyone still wanting to enter has time.

I'm sitting here doing it now and once you start going throigh each Olympics it's quite easy to remember all your favourite moments (Plus gives you a great excuse to relive them all on You Tube :D ).
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby KDFINE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Read the posts over and over again. The first stated that for the rules go to page 3. I never did see a page 3 or find out how to put in my selections. On top of all this, I'd been access the board and was unable to post anything for over 6 weeks. This is my first post since some time in November, probably before Thanksgiving. So I never got to list my favorites. A total bummer. Happy to be back. As for all the usual suspects when it comes to favorite moments, I would have included Bert Cameron's semi-final 400 in 1984.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:30 pm

The rules are on page 3 of this thread. There's a link 3 posts above this one.

Still open for submissions as mump is unable to get online at the moment, so keep sending them until further notice.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby DrJay » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Late to this thread, haven't been on much lately, but this is hilarious (and also a very good idea!) 4+ pages of discussion and banter and (sometimes) argument about the bloody guidelines and decorum and whatnot! I read all the posts and can only picture them as the script to a Monty Python sketch, with the characters sitting around a room with pints and their knickers all bunched up discussing and kibitzing over what the hell constitutes a "moment". Maybe one of the sketches where the Pythoners are all dressed as women and speaking in falsetto.

Anyway, I may not have time to get together my 20 but am keen to follow along. Thanks mump!
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm

I think you'll have time.

Looks like mump will be offline for a while.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 am

I'm back :D

Because of the enforced break i'm keeping this open until 12pm on Sunday 6th

i encourage everyone to enter, it doesn't matter if it's not your 100% 20 favourites you could do it in 10 mins :-)

The more that enter the more the whole process makes sense

I'm going to be chasing some of you for entries so beware :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Gabriella » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 am

I'm sure I will be kicking myself once I've submitted them because I'm bound to have missed some.

What's been difficult is balancing moments I've wanted to see e.g Ennis's win in 2012, with competitions that have been surprising or amazingly exciting to watch. There are some that stick in the memory because, as a super fan, they mean something to you (a favourite athlete winning) but it's only when you go over your old videos do you remember some of the great competitions we've seen and the suspense and excitement.

It was hard getting down to 20, and then even harder ranking that 20! I think I'm there now.

For the record, I have focussed on Games I have followed since I was a fan, so from 84 onwards. Though I can appreciate past results they dont mean anywhere near as much as those I watched live on TV and enjoyed the build up to.

Also, I have included doubles as a single moment for me, as well as one which is a 'themed' moment with 3 athletes from 3 different events! Hopefully that wont confuse or cause too much trouble :?
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 am

Gabriella wrote:Also, I have included doubles as a single moment for me, as well as one which is a 'themed' moment with 3 athletes from 3 different events! Hopefully that wont confuse or cause too much trouble :?


HA!!! This sounds ominous. Thinking about it I've done the same though. :lol:

Once all submissions are in mump will be PMing people to clarify I'm sure.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bobguild76 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:20 am

Gabriella wrote:I'm sure I will be kicking myself once I've submitted them because I'm bound to have missed some.

What's been difficult is balancing moments I've wanted to see e.g Ennis's win in 2012, with competitions that have been surprising or amazingly exciting to watch. There are some that stick in the memory because, as a super fan, they mean something to you (a favourite athlete winning) but it's only when you go over your old videos do you remember some of the great competitions we've seen and the suspense and excitement.

It was hard getting down to 20, and then even harder ranking that 20! I think I'm there now ...


Ain't that the truth?! I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of selecting and ranking my fav moments ... reliving them many times in my head.

It's a good thing I have my old VCR machine and the grainy videos from Olympics past. I wonder if there is a place that sells HD quality DVDs of past Olympic T&F action. Preferably with BBC feed & announcers, or at least NOT the standard NBC fluff coverage. Would anyone know?
bobguild76
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:01 am

bobguild76 wrote:
Gabriella wrote:I'm sure I will be kicking myself once I've submitted them because I'm bound to have missed some.

What's been difficult is balancing moments I've wanted to see e.g Ennis's win in 2012, with competitions that have been surprising or amazingly exciting to watch. There are some that stick in the memory because, as a super fan, they mean something to you (a favourite athlete winning) but it's only when you go over your old videos do you remember some of the great competitions we've seen and the suspense and excitement.

It was hard getting down to 20, and then even harder ranking that 20! I think I'm there now ...


Ain't that the truth?! I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of selecting and ranking my fav moments ... reliving them many times in my head.

It's a good thing I have my old VCR machine and the grainy videos from Olympics past. I wonder if there is a place that sells HD quality DVDs of past Olympic T&F action. Preferably with BBC feed & announcers, or at least NOT the standard NBC fluff coverage. Would anyone know?



I've seen many Olympic reviews from the 1960's to 1980 on Youtube in good quality but not in English (I think Russian?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfw7d4X_I-U

Great to see stuff before my time (David Hemery 400m Hurdles gold for example) though there is strangly sinister music in some sequences :lol:

I'm so surprised not only is more T&F not on there but much of it gets taken down. A Sally Gunnell highlights video was taken down over crimbo, I mean what money or attention is lost by that? If anything it takes away opportunity to view old greats and for people to develope a passing interest into something more. The NBA should be applauded for not only putting up highlights themselves but allowing any and all Basketball videos being put up by fans.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bobguild76 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 am

eldanielfire wrote:I've seen many Olympic reviews from the 1960's to 1980 on Youtube in good quality but not in English (I think Russian?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfw7d4X_I-U

Great to see stuff before my time (David Hemery 400m Hurdles gold for example) though there is strangly sinister music in some sequences :lol:

I'm so surprised not only is more T&F not on there but much of it gets taken down. A Sally Gunnell highlights video was taken down over crimbo, I mean what money or attention is lost by that? If anything it takes away opportunity to view old greats and for people to develope a passing interest into something more. The NBA should be applauded for not only putting up highlights themselves but allowing any and all Basketball videos being put up by fans.


Same here, eldanielfire ... I have spent many hours watching various T&F competitions on YouTube, and have enjoyed it thoroughly. My question is more along the lines of; Does BBC or NBC or someone else, have dvd's of Olympic T&F competitions? I would love to watch the 1984 men's & women's marathons again, and can't find it on YouTube. I was fortunate to be in England at that time, and watched the men's marathon in a pub with a gaggle of British (& Irish, for a day) fanatics.

Same with the 1972 5 & 10K. And marathon. There are moments of the 5K on YouTube, but not the entire race. YouTube is a fantastic medium, but when I lived in South Africa for two years, the bandwidth was so narrow, you couldn't watch HD except in buffered fits and spurts. Thus my desire for dvd's.

Hey, mump boy ... we are all waiting with baited breath for the results! As we used to say in the military, one day and a wake-up! :D
bobguild76
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bushop » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am

The IAAF and IOC have the treasure trove of track & field videos... esp the field events.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 am

bushop wrote:The IAAF and IOC have the treasure trove of track & field videos... esp the field events.



Cool? where?
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bobguild76 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 am

bushop wrote:The IAAF and IOC have the treasure trove of track & field videos... esp the field events.


I have tried both the IOC and IAAF websites ... while they have T&F videos, they are just snippets when it comes to anything longer than the sprints & middle distances. Half the enjoyment of the distances and field events is watching the event unfold, and you don't get that with snippets.

Plus, being on the web, I can't take them places or pop them in my dvd player. I know, I'm a dinosaur!
bobguild76
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bushop » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
bushop wrote:The IAAF and IOC have the treasure trove of track & field videos... esp the field events.
Cool? where?

They don't share. No one at IAAF will respond to my email requests. I'm afraid anything they think has the potential to be monetized will be kept in–house, event if they never offer it to the public. The IAAF seems to have little, if any, concern for coaches and athletes.
USATF has video from the recent US Championships. We were able to download what we wanted right after the meet on-site but no access after that.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby CookyMonzta » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Marlow wrote:Top 10 off the top of my head (Men) . . . women later (hint: Stacy's and JJK's OG wins)

10. Edwards 60'
9. Bubka's 20'
8. Beamon 29'
7. Hayes 4x1 Tokyo anchor
6. Moses win streak
5. Oerter's 4th OG gold
4. Powell - Lewis Tokyo duel
3. Wottle 72 OG
2. MJ 19.32 - was there!
1. Eaton Dec WR -was there! My wife and I went hoarse screaming on the 1500 last lap, and then wept openly in joy at his straining finish.

Someone may have beaten me to this already (I have yet to look further down), but Jon didn't jump 60' in the Olympics; he did that at the '95 Worlds. These are supposed to be Olympic moments, yes? Then the LJ duel in Tokyo doesn't count, either. Or am I missing something that I have yet to read in this post?
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby nevetsllim » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm

My choices are rather vanilla as I've only been a fully-fledged fan for two Olympics. I've included a few older ones but the majority are from 2004 onwards.
nevetsllim
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:54 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:26 am

CookyMonzta wrote:
Marlow wrote:Top 10 off the top of my head (Men) . . . women later (hint: Stacy's and JJK's OG wins)

10. Edwards 60'
9. Bubka's 20'
8. Beamon 29'
7. Hayes 4x1 Tokyo anchor
6. Moses win streak
5. Oerter's 4th OG gold
4. Powell - Lewis Tokyo duel
3. Wottle 72 OG
2. MJ 19.32 - was there!
1. Eaton Dec WR -was there! My wife and I went hoarse screaming on the 1500 last lap, and then wept openly in joy at his straining finish.

Someone may have beaten me to this already (I have yet to look further down), but Jon didn't jump 60' in the Olympics; he did that at the '95 Worlds. These are supposed to be Olympic moments, yes? Then the LJ duel in Tokyo doesn't count, either. Or am I missing something that I have yet to read in this post?


You're not missing anything, i'm no sure Marlow can read :P he's only given 10 and 5 of them don't count

Back to the drawing board please you have till tomorrow night :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby KDFINE » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:47 am

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I "PM mump boy"?
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby LopenUupunut » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:01 am

KDFINE wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but how do I "PM mump boy"?
Click the PM icon in any of his posts (it's on the side, below his name, location, # of posts etc.), or alternatively go here and manually add him as the recipient of the message.
LopenUupunut
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Sleeping in Finland

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:13 am

KDFINE wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but how do I "PM mump boy"?


I've just sent you a PM you can reply to me if it's easier :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:55 pm

To avoid confusion i'm closing this at 12 midnight T&FN time

so you have around 22 hours to get your nominations in

Give me a day or 2 to add up and iron out any anomalies and we should have results from Wed

(I think don't shout at me if i get all confused and it takes a bit longer)
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Who is this moronic idiot making such a posting?

Is this the twisted individual who has been responsible for all of the "attack" warnings?

Sorry GH. I have a habit of using those words on occasion.
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby gh » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:59 am

You're apparently under the impression that the "idiot" is some human being. These things are computer-generated by spambots.

And they have nothing to do with the malware warning. They were here before that happened, and they'll be part of our (our = the e-world in general) landscape for eternity.
gh
 
Posts: 46326
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby KDFINE » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks for the explanation of PM. I think I got my picks in.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bobguild76 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:39 am

gh wrote:You're apparently under the impression that the "idiot" is some human being. These things are computer-generated by spambots.

And they have nothing to do with the malware warning. They were here before that happened, and they'll be part of our (our = the e-world in general) landscape for eternity.


If, in fact, spambots are to be a part of this landscape ... is there any chance you can delete them as you do other inappropriate posts? Not the spambots (I wish!), but the posts.
bobguild76
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:37 pm

It's almost midnight here in the UK so i'm going to bed, if any of our US chums want to enter over night i'm happy to accept

consider entries open until i get up and post that it's closed
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Daisy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 pm

I just sent you a PM, in under the wire, I hope.

mump boy wrote:it doesn't matter if it's not your 100% 20 favourites you could do it in 10 mins :-)

I'm glad you're not looking for consistency here. I went the 10 minute route.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 am

Daisy wrote:I just sent you a PM, in under the wire, I hope.

mump boy wrote:it doesn't matter if it's not your 100% 20 favourites you could do it in 10 mins :-)

I'm glad you're not looking for consistency here. I went the 10 minute route.


It's just a bit of fun and an excuse to reminisce :D

Now closed

Unless i have any unforseen problems (i haven't looked at most of the entries yet) results will start on Wed
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby KDFINE » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:39 am

If you have the time and inclination it might be interesting to show how voters from the USA polled as opposed to the rest of the world (or any regions or countries that you receive a bunch of replies from). Please indicate how many participants you garnered.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone for your entries

I have 26 correct (with a few clarifications i've PM people about)

I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?

Also this is going to take longer than anticipated to add up some are quite complicated so don't hold your breathe for Wed
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bobguild76 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:54 pm

mump boy wrote:Thanks everyone for your entries

I have 26 correct (with a few clarifications i've PM people about)

I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?

Also this is going to take longer than anticipated to add up some are quite complicated so don't hold your breathe for Wed


Awesome work, mump boy! Better to be well done on Thu (or later) than hurried on Wed. We're all looking forward, but take your time. :D
bobguild76
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 pm

mump boy wrote:I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?


10 may be fine but a single vote shouldn't be counted. It's a dead cert 20 points for whatever moment is chosen which gives it a huge advantage over other entries. Everyone else will have a descending order of favourite that gives points to everything on the list.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Flumpy wrote:
mump boy wrote:I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?


10 may be fine but a single vote shouldn't be counted. It's a dead cert 20 points for whatever moment is chosen which gives it a huge advantage over other entries. Everyone else will have a descending order of favourite that gives points to everything on the list.


How about use it as a tie breaker, if needed?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], GHM, Google [Bot] and 13 guests