T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rud

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 am

Flumpy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:I know it was a new event but............

And there you have the answer.

I'll be clearly, new for the Olympics, certainly it was an event that had history. The run was still outstanding though, an amazing way to round off the final introduction of a Women's Athletics event to the program.

On another note cheers mump for doing this. Hours of time :D
eldanielfire

Postby gh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 am

eldanielfire wrote:....

On that note, why then is Gulnara Galkina's Beijing Steeplechase World Record not so popular? That was an incredible run from start to finish. I know it was a new event ...

Not only a new event but also one that hasn't drawn a heavy concentration of high-level distance talent. (As an aside, I also think the barriers aren't high enough to make it the challenge it should be)

I think stat-savvy people recognize that and downgrade the event accordingly.
gh

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm

gh wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:....

On that note, why then is Gulnara Galkina's Beijing Steeplechase World Record not so popular? That was an incredible run from start to finish. I know it was a new event ...

Not only a new event but also one that hasn't drawn a heavy concentration of high-level distance talent. (As an aside, I also think the barriers aren't high enough to make it the challenge it should be)

I think stat-savvy people recognize that and downgrade the event accordingly.

It's always debatable if barrier races don't attract or frighten off racers. There was a great article in Athletics weekly explaining why the Steeplechase is a more difficult distance race. Galkina has posted times in the 5000m that are I the all time top performances and she was always a stronger steeplechaser long before it was an Olympic event.

It's is interesting that Mata Dominguez who was world champion in 2009 was a silver medallist in the 5000m twice and having only just been pipped by Dibaba who we see as the greatest female distance runner of all time for one of them. I'm not saying it's a all-time greatest, but I think you aren't quite giving it the credit t deserves.
eldanielfire

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No2 Bolt 100m

Postby EME1980 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:00 pm

mump boy wrote:. It helps that he is so perfect, such a class act, gorgeous running action, incredibly handsome, polite, humble, brave

:D :D

Couldn't agree with you more about Rudisha.
EME1980

Postby pickle47 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:33 am

gh wrote:
pickle47 wrote:....
And Rudisha has led pretty much every race, fast or very fast, from gut to tape. It's his style. ...

Sorry, but completely wrong. Rudisha has broken 1:41 on 6 occasions other than London. Each had a paid rabbit in the lead at halfway:

1:41.01 Rieti '10
—(Tangui 48.20)
1:41.09 Berlin '10
—(Tangui 48.65)
1:41.33 Rieti '11
—(Tangui 48.60)
1:41.51 Heusden '10
—(Tangui 49.14)
1:41.54 Paris '12
—(Tangui 49.37)
1:41.74 NYC '12
— (Scherer 49.09)

It's obvious the secret to the London WR was getting that damned Tangui out of the way! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I should self-banish for a month, shouldn't I...
Maybe Marlow will give me a TAFNY for most ignorant post of the year.
And did you have to bury me with the actual stats, when you could have just referenced that all of his fast races were rabbited?? :) Anyway, thanks for bringing me down to earth, gh. Promise to think through future comments a little more.
pickle47

Postby Daisy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:58 am

pickle47 wrote:I should self-banish for a month, shouldn't I...

No, no, no.. Think of it this way, you posed a perfectly plausible scenario and got gh to spend some his time to serve us a all some great stats. :)
Daisy

Postby gh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50 pm

nothing personal intended; just in keeping with our "facts, not fiction" credo
gh

Previous