June Olympics?


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

June Olympics?

Postby Marlow » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:51 am

I see a front-page article wherein Mark Spitz is taking Sarkozy to task about S's suggestion that the OG could be in June. There is a pre-eminent reason why not, but given the fact that Southern Hemisphere athletes are ALWAYS disadvantaged, and sports like Swimming are indoors anyway, the 'when' of an OG is a reasonable subject for discussion.

Given the Northern Hemisphere (mostly European, but also USAian) bias to world sports, athletes need a good weather spring and summer to prepare optimally for the OG. That said, there are lots more issues to consider, such as . . . ?

[the bottom line is, of course, 'follow the money'. The OG will be when the TV people say they'll be]
Marlow
 
Posts: 21128
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: June Olympics?

Postby TN1965 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:26 am

One big issue would be how to make adjustment with the competition schedule of domestic leagues. (The NBA play-off being the most prominent one.)

Another issue might be the TV ratings in the Northern Hemisphere.
(This may not matter that much in future when more people watch Olympics on their cell phones, tablets, etc. instead of a TV set.)
TN1965
 
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: June Olympics?

Postby GDAWG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:37 am

TN1965 wrote:One big issue would be how to make adjustment with the competition schedule of domestic leagues. (The NBA play-off being the most prominent one.)

Another issue might be the TV ratings in the Northern Hemisphere.
(This may not matter that much in future when more people watch Olympics on their cell phones, tablets, etc. instead of a TV set.)


That part is simple......The NBA can say that their players won't play in the Olympics anymore. I don't know the schedule of Europe to know if the Euroleague would do the same.
GDAWG
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: June Olympics?

Postby Halfmiler2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 am

Keep in mind that players on only 2 out 30 NBA teams are still playing in June. I don't think the NBA is at the top of the IOC's concerns. However, NBC (and rival American networks) clearly like having the Olympics in August. Other than the dog-days of the baseball season and pre-season American football, there is not much else on the American sports schedule. And the non-sports television schedule is loaded with re-runs.
Halfmiler2
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: June Olympics?

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:55 pm

TN1965 wrote:One big issue would be how to make adjustment with the competition schedule of domestic leagues. (The NBA play-off being the most prominent one.)

Another issue might be the TV ratings in the Northern Hemisphere.
(This may not matter that much in future when more people watch Olympics on their cell phones, tablets, etc. instead of a TV set.)



While it may not be Tv ratinsg in future, the 'ratings' of the Olympics will of course be key whatever platform it's viewed on.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: June Olympics?

Postby gh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:12 pm

The great preponderance of competitors in the Summer Olympics, I think, are still people from nations that have a northern winter of significance. Pro track athletes can get up and move to sunnier climes for the dark season. But think of all the athletes in all the other sports (that aren't held in indoor halls) and what the weather means for training schedules. Nobody wants to try to be prepared in June on a very short outdoor training cycle.

Given how Euro-centric the IOC remains, can't see them buying this concept at all.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: June Olympics?

Postby GDAWG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Isn't Wimbledon in June? That might affect the tennis portion of the Olympics.
GDAWG
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: June Olympics?

Postby bambam » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:27 pm

gh wrote:Given how Euro-centric the IOC remains, can't see them buying this concept at all.


The IOC Euro-centric? I'm shocked ... SHOCKED!
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: June Olympics?

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:05 am

gh wrote:The great preponderance of competitors in the Summer Olympics, I think, are still people from nations that have a northern winter of significance. Pro track athletes can get up and move to sunnier climes for the dark season. But think of all the athletes in all the other sports (that aren't held in indoor halls) and what the weather means for training schedules. Nobody wants to try to be prepared in June on a very short outdoor training cycle.

Given how Euro-centric the IOC remains, can't see them buying this concept at all.


The IOC can't be that Euro-centric, they seem to schedual half the Olympics base don american television. From a Track perspective it makes sense to base an Olympics with a strong input form a european pespective. That is where the big money is for most of the season, it is european meets that mostly keep the sport going, as the syaing goes it would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

But essentially move the olympics forward or back a few months is just pointless considering there will be a clash with other major sports.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: June Olympics?

Postby ExCoastRanger » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 am

eldanielfire wrote:The IOC can't be that Euro-centric, they seem to schedual half the Olympics base don american television. From a Track perspective it makes sense to base an Olympics with a strong input form a european pespective. That is where the big money is for most of the season....


But the big money for the Olympics comes from U.S. television. NBC paid $4.38 billion for Oly broadcast rights through 2020. For Rio alone the network will shell out $1.2 billion.
ExCoastRanger
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: North of where I was.

Re: June Olympics?

Postby lionelp1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:31 am

ExCoastRanger wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:The IOC can't be that Euro-centric, they seem to schedual half the Olympics base don american television. From a Track perspective it makes sense to base an Olympics with a strong input form a european pespective. That is where the big money is for most of the season....


But the big money for the Olympics comes from U.S. television. NBC paid $4.38 billion for Oly broadcast rights through 2020. For Rio alone the network will shell out $1.2 billion.


So what. I realise that certain posters think that the OG belongs to the USA but 6 billion people on the planet do not give a toss how much NBC :mrgreen: pay out to try and buy the OG; so typical.
Mind you, at least the rest of the world does not expect to shift the athletes progs times to suit the USA money bags on TV. And by all accounts its the shittiest coverage anywhere.

Do you guys and the IOC ever think about anything else but money. The price of everything and the value of nowt :(
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: June Olympics?

Postby ExCoastRanger » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:05 am

I stated a financial fact relating to the comment above. Nothing more.
I don't know who these "certain posters" you reference are or what you mean by "typical," and I don't know a single t&f fan in the U.S. who beleives those billions bought better coverage of their sport.
And it's not the USA moneybags talking about tinkering with the timing of the Games.
ExCoastRanger
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: North of where I was.

Re: June Olympics?

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:26 am

The value to the network is a function of various elements, including timing. If the IOC wants to put them in a time of year that is less valuable to that network, then the IOC would have received less in broadcasting rights. I suspect that the timing is already constrained by that agreement, you just do not know the particulars.

You can have whatever opinion you want, you cannot chose your facts. The known facts include that the network paid a lot for the rights, that there are contractual obligations between the parties, that certain times of year are more valuable than others. It really does not matter what 6 billion people might not care about some American opinions, but that is an insight of little relevance to the point at hand.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobguild76 and 8 guests