IAAF Hall Of Fame, Class of 2013

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: IAAF Hall Of Fame, Class of 2013

Postby Flumpy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:05 am

Spoke to Daley on Saturday. He called the IAAF Gala 'That thing in Barcelona' an when I suggested he should have been inducted before Dan O'Brien he said he couldn't care less and wished Dan all the best.

I think they'll induct him soon but I wouldn't hold your breathe he'll turn up and if he does I'm pretty certain he'll wear a tracksuit :lol:

By the way where were Jackie, Michael and Carl. All no shows :(
Flumpy

Postby AS » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:28 am

Given current 8 year retrospective drug-testing window, perhaps the 10 year wait is judicious :?
AS

Postby Flumpy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:08 am

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I also think there is a huge backlog of older athletes that deserve to be inducted before those that only retired 5 years should even be considered.
Flumpy

Postby gh » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:26 am

You guys haven't thought this through all the way, but thanks to your insight, a new T&FN policy just went into effect: the 2012 World Rankings will be published in 2020. As will the results of the voting for Athlete Of The Year. And we've written to the IOC/IAAF urging that there be no medal ceremonies at an OG/WC until then, at which point we're start having them on a 8-year-delay basis.

What better way to sell the sport than to convince the general public that they shouldn't be believing anything they see? I stand in awe of your genius for opening our eyes on this.
gh

Postby Flumpy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Awarding a Gold medal or announcing end of year rankings aren't remotely similar to inducting someone into a Hall of Fame.

Surely it behooves everyone involved to at least try and make sure people are not inducted who may subsequently have to be sanctioned for drug taking. There will undoubtedly be people inducted who shouldn't be but there is absolutely no harm in limiting the damage as much as possible and absolutely no reasom why people recently retired (And potentially in their 30's) need to be inducted with such haste.
Flumpy

Postby gh » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:44 pm

It's not "haste"; it's applying common sense to trying to sell your sport to the general public. Just because the hardcores who post here and know the sport inside-out get just excited years down the line, you don't have to peel back the onion for many layers of oldies (and I can consider 10 years very much an oldie for a modern audience) before you get into "who gives a shit" mode for the wider audience.

And that's one thing a HOF should be doing; continually engaging the sports fan as a whole. Those are the people whose opinions count, not ours.
gh

Postby mump boy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm

gh wrote:It's not "haste"; it's applying common sense to trying to sell your sport to the general public. Just because the hardcores who post here and know the sport inside-out get just excited years down the line, you don't have to peel back the onion for many layers of oldies (and I can consider 10 years very much an oldie for a modern audience) before you get into "who gives a shit" mode for the wider audience.

And that's one thing a HOF should be doing; continually engaging the sports fan as a whole. Those are the people whose opinions count, not ours.

Gaz no one gives a shit if it's 5 years or 50 years

The IAAF do such a crap job of selling to sport nobody was aware of Hall of Fame apart from us hardcore anyway :(

Also i don't believe the idea that it's only young people who should be courted is short sighted
mump boy

Postby lionelp1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Totally wrong on this one ,gh; selling the sport to the masses :)

Are you having a laugh at our expense. If one in 10,000 knows what a Hall of Fame is and that it now applies to athletics, I would be amazed.We are not impressing the great sporting public around the globe, who have heard of a few current athletes and that's it, mate.

Who needs a Hall of Fame; fans that care about track and field probably know some or most of the great athletes of the past. An American invention which is rather pointless, meaningless and slightly weird, in my opinion.

Good job cycling has not got one otherwise that fine upstanding shitbag, Armstrong, might have got in by 2012 :lol: :lol:
lionelp1

Postby Powell » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:47 am

What's IAAF's definition of retirement, anyway? Joan Benoit ran in the Boston marathon as recently as last year; would that make her ineligible until 2022?
Powell

Postby gh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:16 am

I could be confusing it with USATF requirements, but there is a rider that ignores "masters competition."
gh

Postby Powell » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:37 am

gh wrote:I could be confusing it with USATF requirements, but there is a rider that ignores "masters competition."

Marathons are not age-segregated, though. She just ran the race with everyone else.

Merlene Ottey also continues competing, being now in her 50s. She's no longer world class, but she competes in the open category, not in masters meets.
Powell

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:10 am

The purpose is to separate the athletes from 'current' competitions because current/recent performances tend to loom over-large in our minds and to assure that additional performances of note are not still to come. When the athlete is so far from their PRs and has been for a long time I doubt that there is real confusion on either of these dimensions. Ottey continues to impress with what can be done as one ages (as does JBS) but that is not going to affect HoF considerations.
26mi235

Postby gh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:16 am

Ottey ran in the European Championships this year; I don't consider her clock as having started.
gh

Next