Ever wish your fav athlete worked with a specific coach?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Ever wish your fav athlete worked with a specific coach?

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:27 am

mal wrote:Carl Lewis wasn't the most 'talented' of long jumpers

Wow - if he wasn't, I wanna meet the guy more talented (Powell? Conley? Pedroso?) There's no current jumper even close.
Marlow

Postby mal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:01 am

Not currently. Pedrosa 'went further' but it was Cuba. So...

I think Myricks was more physically talented as a jumper.

Lewis was a fantastic athlete, (of course) but as a long jumper he looked great in pictures, less so on Video. He hit the board with more speed than anyone else, but only occasionally came off at the 'optimal' height.

Yep he 'fouled' the longest. But Powell jumped further. And he was 'less talented'.
And in accordance with my last theme. His (Lewis) mental abilities outstripped his physical. Unlike Myricks, who never achieved his potential.
Yep I know its not common to claim any 'deficiency' in King Carl. He was / is the schnizzle. A talent not often seen.
mal

Postby preston » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:14 am

Myricks was more physically talented as a jumper? Based upon what? Both Powell and Conley won Dunk competitions and if it were somehow possible to negate the TJ I would put Conley over Myricks (fully acknowledging that Myricks was a beast!).

When it comes to Lewis, you have to remember that he was ONLY trying to win. I think (there I go thinking again...) that he could have been faster than 9.86 and 19.75 too, but I don't think he was mentally committed to anything other than winning. THAT'S REMARKABLE. Myricks on the other hand competed more than Lolo Jones. He lived it. He wanted it. The only other athlete seemingly as disconnected at perfecting his craft than Lewis and clearly better than everyone else, imo, is Bolt.
preston

Postby mal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:22 am

From my overseas view. Myricks jumped below his potential. Yet he still jumped 8.74. Lewis is the greatest track and field athlete ever in my view. Myricks was not mentally strong enough - compwared to Lewis. That is my point.

If you want to make talent on result, then Powell is the greatest jumper. He was technically better than Lewis, who ran down the track and lifted his feet off the ground. :mrgreen: And landed a long way from the board.

Maybe if he was not 'only trying to win' he'd have been a better long jumper. He had the speed and ability to lift it over 30'. And never did, despite the claims.

And by the way, just to sprinkle more, I thought Michael Johnson left more onthe table in the 400. And I thought Edwin Moses was more concerned with managing his streak. He left more on the table too.

I totally agree that Lewis - and Bolt - are disconnect from the craft.
mal

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:49 pm

fasttrack85 wrote:For example you ever wonder if Allyson would be sub 48 working with Clyde Hart? Or sub 10.7 working with John Smith?

Would Bolt and Blake have the starts Shelly and Asafa have if they were working with Steven Francis?

Would Sanya be a sub 22 monsta working with Bobby Kersee? Would Lolo Jones have approached the wr working with Bobby as well?

Things like that.

Would different coaching arrangements have allowed Tommy Skipper or Donovan Kilmartin to go a lot farther?
Dave

Postby toyracer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 am

fasttrack85 wrote:
toyracer wrote:Yes. After Beijing I was wishing that Asafa could be coached by Glen Mills.

Hmmm interesting. Asafa's coach Stephen Franics has had good success with more people. Glenn Mills has had greater success(fast times and records) with fewer people. What do you think Glenn could do for Asafa? Keep him from injury? Help his Speed Endurance? Do you think he would have his bullet start still?

I just saw this, sorry to take long to respond.

I believe that there are flaws in Asafa's running style since the '09 ankle injury; flaws that Francis has not corrected but Mills would (probably does) see and correct. Perhaps Asafa would get injured less, but that isn't the reason I was wishing that he'd change. I do think that the Mills approach would help Asafa's mental preparation, and I doubt that Asafa would lose his bullet start.
toyracer