Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Texas Tech PVer Shade Weygandt goes pro

Postby 18.99s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:56 am

decafan wrote:What? I don't think you understand how things work in college. This press release is most likely enough. Say the date is today. She could lose whatever the pro-rated amt would be for the rest of this semester and definitely next semester. Furthermore, if she was training with the team she would not feel the need to turn pro and go get another coach. It is also very likely she gave up her scholarship so Texas Tech can go out and get a mid-year on her money.
What do you mean "kick her off the team"? She is a megastar turning pro. She quit the team and therefore has no claim on any scholarship money from here on out. I have no issues with her decision, but don't use phrases like "kick her off" and "yank the scholarship"-as if her school has done anything wrong.

If her stated termination date is in the future (December 31st, as in my example, or some earlier December date which is after the last day of classes for the semester), but they decide to yank the scholarship immediately and want her to pay for tuition and room & board prorata for the rest of the semester, that is kicking her off the team.

When athletes with remaining eligibility tell the school that they plan to graduate or turn pro after the end of current semester, I've never heard of schools yanking scholarships mid-semester and demanding that they pay the remaining fraction of the semester.

But if her actual end date was on or before that press release and she's already stopped training with the team, that's a different matter than the future end date scenario which I'm talking about here.
18.99s

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:22 am

A scholarship, as it was explained to me, is a renewable (by both sides) contract. If an athlete fulfills her team obligations during the current season, she stays on scholarship. If not, not.
If an athlete is in a spring sport and quits at the end of the fall, she earned her scholarship in the fall semester (assuming she did what was asked of her then) but not for the spring semester.
Marlow

Postby 18.99s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am

Marlow wrote:A scholarship, as it was explained to me, is a renewable (by both sides) contract. If an athlete fulfills her team obligations during the current season, she stays on scholarship. If not, not.
If an athlete is in a spring sport and quits at the end of the fall, she earned her scholarship in the fall semester (assuming she did what was asked of her then) but not for the spring semester.

That's what I thought.

Consider 3 scenarios:

1. Actually quitting before the end of the fall semester
2. A mid-semester announcement of the intention to quit at the end of the fall semester, and to participitate in training and all other team activities until the end of the semester.
3. Staying silent during the fall semester while participating in all training and team activities, then announcing and doing the actual quitting at the end of the semester.

To my understanding, #2 and #3 are equivalent as far as the scholarship is concerned; it remains in full for the fall semester but does not continue to the spring.
18.99s

Postby tandfman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:42 am

I assume that if she's actually signed a pro contract (and I've no reason to think she has), that would be tantamount to quitting the team.
tandfman

Postby TXred2016 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:50 am

Telling the head coach that you quit in July and not showing up to a single practice, team meeting, or compliance meeting in the fall means both you and the track program have parted ways... No need for further scholarship talks under these circumstances.
TXred2016

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:06 pm

tandfman wrote:I assume that if she's actually signed a pro contract (and I've no reason to think she has)

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if anyone has offered her anything.
Marlow

Postby 18.99s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:18 pm

TXred2016 wrote:Telling the head coach that you quit in July and not showing up to a single practice, team meeting, or compliance meeting in the fall means both you and the track program have parted ways... No need for further scholarship talks under these circumstances.

If that's what she did, she wouldn't have gotten any scholarship for the fall semester to begin with, so any talk of yanking anything half-way and expecting pro-rated reimbursement would be indeed moot.
18.99s

Postby ExCoastRanger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:I assume that if she's actually signed a pro contract (and I've no reason to think she has)

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if anyone has offered her anything.

You're a U.S. pole vaulter, you're done with school (for whatever reason) and you're going to keep jumping because, you know, it's what you do and you're not done doing it. Saying you're going pro sounds a lot better -- and at least opens the door for offers -- than saying you're "going unattatched."
ExCoastRanger