Tell Iaaf to stop screwing up their site.

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Tell Iaaf to stop screwing up their site.

Postby Serafina8 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm

One thing I miss in the redesigned "Top Lists" section is the ability to sort by column heading. I found it useful to be able to sort by "Nation" to easily see all athletes from a given country grouped together in order of performance.
Serafina8

Postby gibson » Fri May 17, 2013 9:50 am

dysfunctional organizations have dysfunctional web sites.

iaaf is just another federation that can't do, but can't be replaced through a competitive process. that's the process of de evolution.

you know, going from mammal to reptile to slime mold - that type of thing.
gibson

Postby Vault-emort » Sat May 18, 2013 1:03 am

The trouble with many sports web-sites is that companies are engaged that might be able to put up a 'pretty site' but don't really understand the functionality required by most fans.

#iaaf
Vault-emort

Postby vencio2 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:21 am

so bewildering that there's an article on main iaaf page about the ponce gp but it took me about 3 mins to be able to find results. rather confusingly the top related link to the ponce gp article is 'simon ziolkowski'.

iaaf website makes me want to cry, and then scream with rage.
vencio2

Postby 26mi235 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:40 am

Consistently across race sites it is surprisingly difficult to find the link to the results. It is as though they can only think of the preparation for the event, that the fans are going to spend a lot of time going to the site before the event but are not interested in results. There are a number of exceptions, but they are almost exceptions rather than the dominant rule.
26mi235

Postby batonless relay » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:09 am

LANES? LANES? LANES? LANES?

How come they've removed the lane information from the past results? It was there on the "old" [better] site and it's as important as wind and CERTAINLY more important than a *&%$#@ BIB number (are you kidding me?!).

And, thanks for finally adding the reaction times; they're only ONE click away. But, they should be NO clicks away. If anything hide bib numbers and POS (position), they're superfluous.
batonless relay

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Lanes matter in the 200 and 400, not much elsewhere (well, 400h is implicit).
26mi235

Postby batonless relay » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 am

26mi235 wrote:Lanes matter in the 200 and 400, not much elsewhere (well, 400h is implicit).

So because they're not relevant elsewhere should reaction times be removed, or wind?

Quick tell me, what was Bekele's BIB number for any one of his wins? How about Seb Coe? Joan Benoit? Billy Mills? Bob Beamon? Carl Lewis? Michael Johnson? These are some of the biggest wins in history and nearly noone knows their BIB number (without looking it up). Now, which lane did John Akii Bua win from? How about Bob Hayes? Michael Bates bronze? (FWIW, I remember that Bolt was 2163 in Beijing, couldn't tell you for Berlin without looking it up but 2163 sticks out). Lanes matter for ALL sprints and they matter all the time. Lanes are as much context as wind or reaction times and it tells a story of what may have happened through the rounds or how the rules have changed (straight random to 2 seeded draws to 3 seeded draws).

If it were up to me I'd include dewpoint, time of day and temperature, but for lane(s) not to be included, and people who CLAIM to be track fans be involved with the development of the IAAF site (and write for one of the T&F publications) and not include it is nearly unforgivable. They were in before for a good reason, they're not now in now (for a stupid reason)... they need to put the lanes back in.
batonless relay

Postby norunner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:46 pm

So i went to the IAAF webpage (big mistake i know) to check on some results from Olympic Games. I wanted the mPV from 2008, so i clicked "competitions", then under "previous championships" on Beijing. Then i clicked on timetable/results at the top since there was only a timetable by day. Surprise, the page gave me the timetable by day for London 2012. So once again i clicked on Beijing 2008 under "select a championship". Now i had a timetable by day for Beijing. Next step, i clicked on timetable by discipline and, yes you guessed it, i got a timetable by discipline for London 2012. Selecting Beijing 2008 for the THIRD time finally gave me what i wanted. "Just" another two clicks and i got what i wanted, sort of. I had the mPV result and series on the screen, but the series are all wrong. So i thought i would check other OG results to see if the series are screwed up as well. I selected Athens 2004 and again series for mPV. And got the Beijing results again. Tried to check other OGs for the same error, but apparently they did not have a mens pole vaulting competition anywhere else because the pages for all other Games remained empty, even for London 2012.
And of course since the "Contact IAAF" webpage doesn't work either, there is no way to tell them.
This page reminds me of the new Berlin airport, but at least there is a small chance the airport will eventually be fixed.
norunner

Postby Daisy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:00 pm

May be they should link to wikipedia?

Beijing 2008 mPV

Is it accurate?
Daisy

Postby gm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Looks like they forgot to put the passes on the series
gm

Postby Jamiesonrc » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:36 am

I used to go to the IAAF website frequently to keep up with T&F.

Hardly bother now - simply put its "CLUNKY" and definitely a backwards step on the old site.

Now its "Leichtathletik.de" and T&FNews
Jamiesonrc

Postby Jnathletics » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:48 am

I really hate the WC competitor feature. It is slow uploading the competitor list in each event and there are no performance marks included.

Where is Sgt. Friday when you need him? "Just the facts..."
Jnathletics

Postby gh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:52 pm

I've got a new kvetch

if you go to the IAAF page for Sopot, you get the Friday timetable. But it's only the morning timetable; you have to hit an arrow to make the afternoon session open up. But guess what? If you do that, and then select an event in the afternoon session, when you go back to the previous page the window has collapsed again, so you need to hit the arrow all over again to make the afternoon once more visible.
gh

Postby norunner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:40 am

gh wrote:I've got a new kvetch

if you go to the IAAF page for Sopot, you get the Friday timetable. But it's only the morning timetable; you have to hit an arrow to make the afternoon session open up. But guess what? If you do that, and then select an event in the afternoon session, when you go back to the previous page the window has collapsed again, so you need to hit the arrow all over again to make the afternoon once more visible.
It's been like that ever since the first live event with the new design. I think they stopped fixing that page altogether because all the many errors i noticed during the last 6-8 months are still there.
norunner

Previous