Two Jamaican Athletes test positive [old story resolved]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive for drugs

Postby guru » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:23 pm

tandfman wrote:
guru wrote: Dee Dee Trotter wound up with a Beijing 4x4 gold without running.

http://instagram.com/p/RIk-rBy7Eh/ (Beijing middle medal)

She may have had them in her hand, but were they hers? It doesn't say that in the instagram thing, her USATF bio doesn't suggest that she won a medal in Beijing, and there's nothing about it on her own website.

Considering she didnt run, I wouldnt expect her, or USATF, to exactly advertise that she got one. But the fact is the US only ran five in 2008, and it's possible they gave her the sixth medal, if it slipped through the cracks in the same manner as Blake's did this year. It's certainly conceivable since Trotter did check in to run the prelim, and was a last-second scratch.
guru

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:36 pm

I suppose anything is possible, but she clearly is not shown in the official results of the prelim. If she did get an medal somehow, it would have been an error, just as Blake's medal was the result of an error. In any event, this is the first I've heard of that,
tandfman

Postby gh » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 pm

See story on front page: Blake gets 6 years! (wonder if IAAF or WADA have ever downgraded a sentence by a federation that went over their normal penalty?)
gh

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive [old story resolved]

Postby shivfan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:57 pm

'Ken Pantry, chairman of the panel, said that after hearing her arguments, the panel "unanimously decided Miss Blake did not satisfy the panel to its comfortable satisfaction that the substance entered her body without an intention to enhance sporting performance." Accordingly, Pantry said, "we decided that the sanction of ineligibility would be six years commencing today." Blake was sixth in the women's 400 in 51.83 seconds at the Jamaican Olympic trials in the meet where she tested positive. She had also competed for her homeland at the Commonwealth Games and last year's World Indoor Championships. Patrick Foster, Blake's attorney, said Blake will probably appeal the ban. "I am not surprised by the sanction that was imposed but I am disappointed," Foster said. "It's clear to me that they didn't take into account crucial issues. I think we had sufficient evidence, to at least, justify a penalty far less than six years." Ricardo Cunningham, an 800m runner who tested positive for the prohibited substance pseudo-ephedrine at last year's Olympic trials, escaped with only a reprimand.'
shivfan

Re: Two Jamaican Athletes test positive [old story resolved]

Postby toyracer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:15 am

shivfan wrote: Ricardo Cunningham, an 800m runner who tested positive for the prohibited substance pseudo-ephedrine at last year's Olympic trials, escaped with only a reprimand.'

That went as I had posted earlier:

toyracer wrote:The other athlete Cunningham apparently declared the medication he was taking on the relevant form (T.U.E.). Supposedly the only reason that this has registered as an A.A.F. is because the level was found to be just over the expected maximum (ie he took a slightly higher dosage, 2.5 Tbsp instead of 2) for pseudoephedrine and JADCO is being careful and following procedure. I've heard that the expectation is a public warning, since the medication was declared before competition.
toyracer