Coed Relays

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Coed Relays

Postby decafan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:57 pm

26mi235 wrote:
decafan wrote:Why in the world would we want to run mixed relays? Forget the logistics of the exchanges, your big problem will be overcoming the natural tendencies of the viewer to feel negativity toward the slower legs (women). One unintended consequence will be the highlighting of just how much faster men are than women. The casual fan will never keep proper perspective. "We were fine until the chick got the stick. Ugh..." Once the novelty wears off, there is nothing much gained, and quite a bit lost. Women lose big on this idea.

Why do women lose big? Because the incoming runner is faster, putting in an order that has a man handing to a woman is a poor strategy. I think it will almost always be WWMM given the choice. Then, the women are not running against the man and the differential in speed is not so large that they look like they are on different planets.

Women don't lose big in your scenario. I was responding to the idea put forth early in this thread that you could place people in whatever order you want, guaranteeing male vs female match-ups. WWMM races don't excite me much either, but at least you don't set our best female athletes up for terrible failure against our best men.
decafan

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Who would run someting other than WWMM even if it is not required. MWMW or WMWM maximizes the differentials in speed. WMMW or MWWM is better than always switching, but I think that it is simplest to run WWMM and would be surprised if we saw something different in a 'serious' competition (i.e., one where they really cared if they won).
26mi235

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 am

26mi235 wrote:Who would run someting other than WWMM even if it is not required. MWMW or WMWM maximizes the differentials in speed. WMMW or MWWM is better than always switching, but I think that it is simplest to run WWMM and would be surprised if we saw something different in a 'serious' competition (i.e., one where they really cared if they won).

I agree that WWMM would be the preferred order for the 4x100, but I think MMWW would probably be the prefered order for the 4x400, because coaches would want to make sure that their team is in the mix and not playing catch-up the whole race. However it would make for a lot of drama if one team chose to anchor with a woman (eg. Sanya Richards) while another team anchored with a man (eg. Usain Bolt), with the woman getting the baton with a 40-45 meter lead. Could you imagine the deafening roar of the crowd at the Penn Relays as Bolt inched closer to Richards on the backstretch but Richards still hmaintaining a 10-11 meter lead as she hit the homestretch? :shock: That's if Bolt ran smartly and didn't try and make up the whole deficit too quickly. If Bolt were to foolishly pull even with Richards at the 200-meter mark, the spectacle on the homestretch would be embarassing for him and a lot of folks would be yelling USA! USA! USA! 8-)
jazzcyclist

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:57 am

You're right, jazzcyclist. That could be incredibly exciting.
tandfman