The must-see event in your state

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: The must-see event in your state

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:36 pm

tandfman wrote:
DrJay wrote:Here in Colorado it's......uhh....well....yeah.....then there's......

Well, we have to entertain ourselves here. Run, bike, hike, camp, ski, climb.

I bet watching Jenny Simpson do an interval workout would be pretty good.

Bolder Boulder?

I would have to go with that. Potts Indoor was once a decent meet years ago.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby j-a-m » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Cooter Brown wrote:TX Relays is a billion times better than the UIL State Champs, IMO.

While I'd use a smaller order of magnitude, I do agree that Texas Relays are much better.
j-a-m

Postby DrJay » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:35 pm

CU's home XC meet, the Rocky Mountain Shootout, can be good. Goucher, Ritz, Torres, Simpson (nee Barringer) etc over the years. DII powers Adams St and Western St (CO) usually are there and in the mix.
DrJay

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:00 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:And how sad it is that for New York, we cannot say:

Millrose Games

It is obviously the NYC Marathon for New York these days.
Halfmiler2

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Someone who is a Delaware resident can correct me if I am wrong, but since my brother went to school there, I know a bit about Delaware. Given that the University of Delaware dropped men's track & field, I'd say the Caesar Rodney Half Marathon (named for the Revolutionary War Hero) probably now gets the nod for the Diamond State.

I'd also think that the Marine Corps Marathon gets the obvious nod for Washington, D.C. since there aren't any really big track & field meets in the city to compete with the marathon.
Halfmiler2

Postby gh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:35 pm

If you're speaking of events which the actual residents of that state would be most likely to see, gotta suspect that it's the State Meet just about everywhere, and that even includes Pennsylvania. dj, thoughts?
gh

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:26 pm

no one wrote:In response to hammy;

I can't speak to 'present day', but,bback in the day ... the CIF-SS championship meet was much more exciting than the state meet. The marks were better, the competition more intense, the crowd much more into the meet ... the state meet, for the most part, was a bit of a post script. There were some Nor Cal v So Cal showdowns as well as isolated CIF v LA City showdowns. Am I wrong here? Modesto and Fresno were indeed big time.

As a norcal boy I never got too excited over the north/south aspect. Southern section is certainly an excellent meet. Both have the same reasons for excellence: a huge pool of quality athletes (no classifications) all going for one prize.
bad hammy

Postby dj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:15 pm

gh wrote:If you're speaking of events which the actual residents of that state would be most likely to see, gotta suspect that it's the State Meet just about everywhere, and that even includes Pennsylvania. dj, thoughts?

I agree with your premise, but it's not true for Pennsylvania unless you split the state east and west, which really is the way the state thinks of itself. The meet to see if you're from the western end would be the WPIAL, a 19th century suburban Pittsburgh meet which is now the District 7 meet qualifying to the state. Easterners would still claim Penn Relays is the meet to go to as it draws from so many states and countries.
dj

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:18 pm

Halfmiler2 wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:And how sad it is that for New York, we cannot say:

Millrose Games

It is obviously the NYC Marathon for New York these days.

The NYCM is the best "attended", if you count people standing on a street corner, paying nothing, and watching runners go by once. If you're a track fan, the must-see event is the Diamond League meet at Icahn Stadium.
tandfman